[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

10 minutes ago, emhelmark said:

so i assume its good to go on my setup? or don't risk on non OTP psus?

it's preferred if you do get it... otp can be quite beneficial in case of a fan failure for example

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

it's preferred if you do get it... otp can be quite beneficial in case of a fan failure for example

this one SST-ET650-G has OTP as per website but as per this thread 

it ain't good??

there's this another option too: SSR-550LC around the same price of 2

btw I am also considering to get a vega 56 since I found a very cheap deal on my local used market and I know its much more power hungry but i'll undervolt.

edit: cougar gx-s is tier b+ though vs the essential with OTP as per website that is tier B // this psu tier is confusing especially on low budget like me errr. I guess I'll still go with gx-s

@emhelmark No review on either of these PSUs, everything we have are speculation that Silverstone ET-G are probably some low-tier double-forward platform (CWT) and Seasonic Core are downgraded Seasonic Focus but without any data on actual performance it's impossible to recommend them. And with Vega 56 especially, it's very power hungry GPU, you need a very solid PSU for it, go no lower than tier A (maybe B+ if you really can't spare some extra 15-20 EUR), where are you from ? I see, Phillipines ...

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 hours ago, Juular said:

@emhelmark No review on either of these PSUs, everything we have are speculation that Silverstone ET-G are probably some low-tier double-forward platform (CWT) and Seasonic Core are downgraded Seasonic Focus but without any data on actual performance it's impossible to recommend them. And with Vega 56 especially, it's very power hungry GPU, you need a very solid PSU for it, go no lower than tier A (maybe B+ if you really can't spare some extra 15-20 EUR), where are you from ? I see, Phillipines ...

Cougar gx-s then. 

Still haven't pulled the trigger on the $176 vega 56 I found though so then can wait for some cheap 5700 deals to might pop out.

On 1/17/2020 at 1:19 AM, Roman Kr said:

Only for this??? doesn't even exceed 30mV under 110% load and have full protections, I still don't understand how this PSU are in tier D+, I think is a great PSU. I don't think anyone buys the 750 watt model when their PC consumes 900 watts (for example)...

You can always run it like that. The list is for noobs mainly and you can run into problems by overloading the Focus plus. Those also had lower tolerance for atx spec breaking gpu:s.

On 1/16/2020 at 6:02 PM, LukeSavenije said:

high ripple at 120% (268mv)

I should write some notes on a couple

Where is this 268mV on seasonic focus platform PSU's?

Strix 750W, max 44mV on even higher 130% load, 30.8 at 100%
https://ithardware.pl/testyirecenzje/test_zasilacza_asus_rog_strix_750_w_czyli_gamingowy_seasonic-11074-9.html

37 minutes ago, Kaygooo said:

Where is this 268mV on seasonic focus platform PSU's?

at pceva. but it's possible that strix is a gx, not an fx

but i never got confirmation or denial from Asus's side

It's based on focus plus gold, strix was introduced before Seasonic change it's lineup. Author of this test confirmed it many times, and in my country he knows his job well. All the reviews show something completely different than what's on pceva (i think this 268mV is only their measurement error), so can i ask again why these psu's are in tier d+?.

On 1/11/2020 at 4:32 PM, LukeSavenije said:

and that's the huge mistake you make... those things are far from accurate and overestimate heavily. your setup will be completely fine on a 550-650w psu, even with the 7700k and 980 overclocked to the max on ambient cooling

60 bucks, without any problem

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/yCMwrH/xilence-performance-x-550w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-xn071

So, I bought the Xilence perf-x 550 you recommended, brand new. My pc booted once fully into windows and I had to change a few settings so I rebooted. (Also CPU was not running at the normal 3.9ghz, instead just 3.7 but I figured it would be fine.) And now my pc is trying to start but instead keeps restarting over and over. I dont even see the motherboards boot screen. Just on them off about 10 times now. 

When I manually shut it down and wait about 15 seconds and then turn it on, It boots up fine. 

4 minutes ago, GreY2231 said:

So, I bought the Xilence perf-x 550 you recommended, brand new. My pc booted once fully into windows and I had to change a few settings so I rebooted. (Also CPU was not running at the normal 3.9ghz, instead just 3.7 but I figured it would be fine.) And now my pc is trying to start but instead keeps restarting over and over. I dont even see the motherboards boot screen. Just on them off about 10 times now. 

Sounds like memory training problem, reseat RAM, reset your BIOS.

Dumb question, but does Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB in Tier B include the Gold versions, or can those be included with Toughpower Grand Gold in Tier A? I'm having a hard time comparing the two according to this list since there's no link on the Toughpower Grand Gold in Tier A, but if I've shopped this correctly, Toughpower Grand Gold is available in RGB specific from previous Toughpower Grand lines...but it's hard to say because Thermaltake has HEAVILY widened their PSU lineup in the last few years.

What is a mad scientist but a wizard who writes things down?

On 1/16/2020 at 11:14 AM, GoldenLag said:

so not the greylabel one?

nope, VS in orange & 450 in white

2 minutes ago, Beerus said:

Corsair AX 850/1000 could be at S tier as well.

not if they're a single rail unit

it's a prime rebrand, if you didn't notice yet

7 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

not if they're a single rail unit

it's a prime rebrand, if you didn't notice yet

Well, acording to tomsharware it is superior in every way compared to the CM one. So being 2 tiers below it seems odd to me :/

9 hours ago, Beerus said:

Well, acording to tomsharware it is superior in every way compared to the CM one. So being 2 tiers below it seems odd to me :/

We have a methodology, PSU only qualifies for tier A+ and up if it's multi-rail, that PSU are single-rail so regardless of overall performance and build quality it wouldn't be higher than tier A. Multi-rail matters most with very high wattage PSUs, the ones that usually get overbuilt so much to warrant being in tier S so there's no reason to put single-rail units there even if they're equally overbuilt as multi-rail ones.

20 hours ago, Beerus said:

Corsair AX 850 is superior to CM V plat 850 in every way.  The newer Corsair AX 850/1000 could be at S tier as well.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-ax850-psu,5986-6.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooler-master-v850-platinum-power-supply,6119.html

12 hours ago, Beerus said:

its up to you really , either trust the judgments of Aris the reviewer of tomshardware who is an electrical engineer with 3 degrees and a PHD and decades of industry experience and owns a state of the art lab with properly calibrated equipment , or  trust the collective efforts of non professionals that produced this tier list   

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

3 hours ago, Juular said:

We have a methodology, PSU only qualifies for tier A+ and up if it's multi-rail, that PSU are single-rail so regardless of overall performance and build quality it wouldn't be higher than tier A. Multi-rail matters most with very high wattage PSUs, the ones that usually get overbuilt so much to warrant being in tier S so there's no reason to put single-rail units there even if they're equally overbuilt as multi-rail ones.

12vOCP is good to have , but its not a priority  

there is a reason why Aris doesn't give high priority for 12v OCP , because its not implemented properly and probably will be worthless in most scenarios , 

12v OCP is usually set at 40A , now look at the PCIe cables , the bottleneck when determining the maximum  sustained current it can withstand would be the pins at the back of the PSU , with most cables you would have 3 live wires with 3 pins , each pin is rated for a maximum sustained load of 8A  , that means it's only good for 24A  while the OCP is set at 40A , so that OCP won't protect your cable against damage unless the only reason you would exceed 24A would be some sort of resistive load that formed due to pinched wires or broken connectors that would cause your current to spike above 40 A , but in any use case that you will find yourself operating at a sustained load between 24A-40A you are damaging your cables without having your protections kick in 

now what happens if you overload your molex cables with pcie  adaptors ? would the 12vOCP help ? no it wont because again that cable would be rated for a maximum of 8A since it has a single 12V pin 

this is an rmi 850 

D7M5mXc.png

bExGmth.png

HX1200

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

Just now, Mezoxin said:

12vOCP is good to have , but its not a priority  

as they say: ocp isn't there to protect your hardware, it's to protect your house

but indeed, as opp is overlapping it, it's a bonus rather than a priority 

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

as they say: ocp isn't there to protect your hardware, it's to protect your house

but indeed, as opp is overlapping it, it's a bonus rather than a priority 

the weak point will remain the same weather you have it or not , the pins will melt before any damage is done to the interior of the PSU , the way the OCP is set that high above the pins max rating  the pins act as a fuse 

PC Part Picker

@Mezoxin, i'm too lazy to check your claim on 8A per pin but it looks about right. But even in this case you've described, it's even more important to have multi-rail with lower tripping point per rail than the total current PSU can supply on 12V rail because if you're getting melted connector with 24-40A resistive load then imagine what could happen if it would be 40-110A with smth like Seasonic PRIME 1200W. But i agree, 40A OCP on multi-rail are almost certainly too high, there's very few GPUs that need more than 20A through PCI-e connectors, and if you have a GPU this power hungry you should hopefully connect it with two separate power cables anyway. So per-rail OCP should more commonly set to 20A long-window. But for this sake, it's possible to do that with digital multi-rail units so i'm still all for multi-rail units being one tier higher. Althrough i'd possibly add requirement for OCP no higher or close to 30A or having a capability to lower it on digital units. Otherwise as you noted, it's kinda defies the purpose of having multirail, what do you think @LukeSavenije.

@Juular

well there is a reason for why they set it at 40A , to allow for transient spikes , the only way to correctly nail OCP while at the same time allowing for transients spikes  would be by having it in a time dependant value and not just a one dimensional value of Amps 

PC Part Picker

7 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

@Juular

well there is a reason for why they set it at 40A , to allow for transient spikes , the only way to correctly nail OCP while at the same time allowing for transients spikes  would be by having it in a time dependant value and not just a one dimensional value of Amps 

That's why i said '20A long-window', it could still have 40A short-window OCP to account for transients, but again, if your GPU draws 40A on transient, you should use two PCI-e power connectors and bam - problem solved.

Edit: i do agree that it probably commonly set 40A just to be a fool-proof, average gamer who just bought his second-hand AMD Fury would most likely use just one PCI-e cable because it's easier and it has two connectors on it, so why not ? That needs to change.

5 minutes ago, Juular said:

That's why i said '20A long-window', 

dialing in that window that would be sufficient for transients  isn't really possible with the type of hardware that is readily available in current analog PSUs thats why its not done by manufacturers , it is possible though with digital PSU's but the feature isn't available 

PC Part Picker

1 minute ago, Mezoxin said:

dialing in that long window that would be sufficient for transients  isn't really possible with the type of hardware that is readily available in current analog PSUs thats why its not done by manufacturers , it is possible though with digital PSU's but the feature isn't available 

Hmm, i didn't think about that.