[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

I was wondering if someone can give me an idea of what kind of system would begin to be inappropriate for Type B and B+? For example is a 2060 with a 3600x considered entry level or mid-range?

58 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

to my knowledge EOL, so not worth getting

Ok, I figured as much. I just found an EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 used still with warranty for 80€. I need one now so I can send my Sharkoon back. mine is finally going out after 2 years. good thing I still have warranty on it too. Lol 

Just now, GreY2231 said:

Ok, I figured as much. I just found an EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 used still with warranty for 80€. I need one now so I can send my Sharkoon back. mine is finally going out after 2 years. good thing I still have warranty on it too. Lol 

why would you get a second hand psu? there are very keepable psus brand new for that price, that are in my eyes on some sides better than a g2

2 minutes ago, alenbasic said:

I was wondering if someone can give me an idea of what kind of system would begin to be inappropriate for Type B and B+? For example is a 2060 with a 3600x considered entry level or mid-range?

i'd consider that worthy to get a tier b+ to tier a myself

the main problem with most tier b units is that they're double forward, which can start to whine on higher end GPUs due to how it switches. 

19 minutes ago, Billy_Wellington said:

Also in what cases "high inrush current" can actually cause problems?

it can theoretically trip a breaker, but both aren't to the level they should be able to, as the inrush is too short. around 80 should be able to if sustained longer though, if i recall correctly

I don't really have the budget for a brand new one for my OCd PC. I just need to last long enough till I get my current one replaced. I have one on warranty but I need something quick so I can swap it and send mine in. I am saving up for a brand new Corsair 850w for my new build. PCUs in Germany are a lot more expensive than the US or so. 

4 minutes ago, GreY2231 said:

PCUs in Germany are a lot more expensive than the US or so. 

no they're not... i'm Dutch myself, so i can pretty clearly know

what are you powering with it? you can likely get a lot better at a slightly lower wattage

Right now I am running a n i5 4690k OCd at 4.2

16gb ddr3

gtx 980ti (Palit super jetstream)

3 HDDs (500, 1000, 2000gb)

1 SSD 256gb 

5 120mm fans, 2 of them are on the CPU

a small strip of 5v leds running off a PCI usb card

RGB headphones usb powered

usb powered speakers (Logitech Z120)

1080p Webcam (C920 Pro)

3 Monitors (2x 1080p, 1x 1366 x 768)

Standard gaming mouse and keyboard with some LEDs and a Gaming mousepad (Single color led) on a non Powered USB Hub

Bluetooth 5.0 dongle (USB 3.0)

That is everything connected to my PC

the plan is that I will upgrade to an i7 7700k with the gtx 980ti and 32gb of ram

a 2TB M.2 drive and a 2 TB SSD plus my 2 HHDs (1TB and 2TB) with maybe a BQ Dark rock Pro 3 or an AIO. I used multiple PSU calculators online and MY current setup was recommended a 750w and the future build an 850w

I bought a BQ! Dark Power Pro 8 new at a great deal (Display Model) but it was missing a few of the cables (PSI Express power and so) (I didn't know until i got it in the mail) and the p10 an p11 model cables won't fit so I'm out there on 45€

14 minutes ago, GreY2231 said:

I used multiple PSU calculators online and MY current setup was recommended a 750w and the future build an 850w

and that's the huge mistake you make... those things are far from accurate and overestimate heavily. your setup will be completely fine on a 550-650w psu, even with the 7700k and 980 overclocked to the max on ambient cooling

60 bucks, without any problem

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/yCMwrH/xilence-performance-x-550w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-xn071

Wow, Thanks! That is good to know. I just found one new for 50€ Thanks again for your help.

15 minutes ago, GreY2231 said:

Wow, Thanks! That is good to know. I just found one new for 50€ Thanks again for your help.

no problem... psus in germany actually generally cost less than in the current US market... something to do with tariffs...

yeah true. I keep forgetting most companies for PSUs and cooling are German.

1 hour ago, GreY2231 said:

I bought a BQ! Dark Power Pro 8 new at a great deal (Display Model) but it was missing a few of the cables (PSI Express power and so)

That's certainly not a great deal. A Dark Power Pro 8 is old and because of that unreliable. It's a PSU you should replace asap. 

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

and that's the huge mistake you make... those things are far from accurate and overestimate heavily. your setup will be completely fine on a 550-650w psu, even with the 7700k and 980 overclocked to the max on ambient cooling

60 bucks, without any problem

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/yCMwrH/xilence-performance-x-550w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-xn071

Xilence is never an interesting option, always overpriced. For the same price you can also get a Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 550W or Corsair CX550 for example. 

the BQ was just meant to be a placeholder till I got a better one. It's also not in my PC because of a few missing cables. 

2 minutes ago, -The_Mask- said:

Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 550W

you're aware of the high 10% ripple on it?

though i talked with them... they're fixing it with gospower

Just a minor whining and bitching, but I'm disappointed and kind of sad. 

PSU prices have risen greatly in the last few weeks. Back in August, I bought Whisper M 450 for ~80USD, now it's 90. Corsair TX550M was available for 85USD during Autumn months, now it's rather 95. Same applies to SuperFlower Leadex series. BF Formula Gold 550w was ~70USD, now it's above eighty. 

Every now and again there's a bargain, but then it's sold out in few days. The last week there was heavy discount on NZXT E500, now the price is THIRTY EUROS higher, than a week ago. 

Only reasonably priced units now "Riotoro Enigma G2", but I'm afraid they won't be so cheap for much longer. I can't believe, why PSU prices started to rise. RAMs, SSDs and CPUs have gotten more affordable, but PSU-prices are climbing, even with kind of a favourable exchange rates for local currency. 

It just felt good to whine about these irrelevant issues. : ) : ]

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

13 minutes ago, Juular said:

So i presume you're advocating on getting a PSU with 10% ripple when you can get similarly priced PSU with way lower ripple ?

Well if you only care about that and don't look at anything else. Yeah get the PSU with the lower 10% ripple. But if you look at every aspect the conclusion won't be the same. 

15 minutes ago, Juular said:

So i presume you're advocating on getting a PSU with 10% ripple when you can get similarly priced PSU with way lower ripple ?

"The whole is more than the sum of its parts" Aristotle

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I've talked with cm and aris already, no need to explain

as said, they're on it already either way, expecting a fix soon-ish

I explained in August last year as you can see. You asked if I knew, so I give you a post to show you that I knew. 

1 hour ago, -The_Mask- said:

Well if you only care about that and don't look at anything else. Yeah get the PSU with the lower 10% ripple. But if you look at every aspect the conclusion won't be the same. 

I mean, you're recommending MWE Bronze V2 instead of Xilence Performance X, why ? I maybe not aware of smth but i figured that Xilence option are better. And i don't see Corsair CX for that price in Germany. Also, considering that there are Bitfenix Formula Gold for 10 EUR more i'd go with that anyway.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Wow the Corsair VS 2017 is higher quality than the much more expensive EVGA G3 and Seasonic Focus Plus.

Thank God for this tier list. I had no clue.