[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

17 minutes ago, Shorty Snow said:

Your definition for "single rail" and "multi rail" is kind of wrong... also how did EVGA G3 end up in D tier when the sources you named literally say its a highly efficient and well performing unit?

what's wrong about it then?

because superflower set protections way too high to the point that a cap housing partly melted and one of the units died during opp testing?

54 minutes ago, Shorty Snow said:

Your definition for "single rail" and "multi rail" is kind of wrong... also how did EVGA G3 end up in D tier when the sources you named literally say its a highly efficient and well performing unit?

Your understanding that a unit would jump to Tier D just for not having multi-rail is wrong.  That only excludes a unit from very high echelons.  A PSU has to have some part of it very messed up to end up below tier D+. 

Also had you searched for "EVGA G3" in this thread (or seen the stickied thread about why they're bad news) you would have seen the already-repeated explanation about the G3 failures during review.

5 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Also had you searched for "EVGA G3" in this thread

That's why we need some indication as to why some units have been detiered, simple spoiler with all notes and dagger above affected units would suffice. That will decrease all these questions about EVGA G3 & G5, Focus FX etc. @LukeSavenije please :)

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 minute ago, Juular said:

@LukeSavenije please :)

i'm already busy with something, just don't expect me to be done any time soon

but i don't want to say too much, only when it's done

15 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

the next psu tier list will be vr only

no didn't you get the memo ltt forum is getting discontinued and we're posting it on bonzi buddy web

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

15 hours ago, Juular said:

Gabe, is that you ?

he can't be gaben, this list is at version 4.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

he can't be gaben, this list is at version 4.

version 2 if you don't count the previous maintainers who aren't active at all anymore on the site ;)

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

On 12/14/2019 at 12:48 PM, LukeSavenije said:

well, the importance of it seems so little, that we chose to place it high either way. you're of course always welcome to prove otherwise

have you checked this comment on the gigabyte ap850 review regarding dc sequencing testing 

About the DC sequencing test on page 6.
There is something that I don't quit understand. Maybe I didn't understand the graphs legend.
Assuming:
Blue - 12V, Y axis is on far left.
Red - 5V, Y axis on the right.
Orange - 3.3V, Y axis on the close left.

On the "PSU Turn-On" test:
The 12V voltage did rise after the 3V like you said but it started from 7V, deeped to 6V - it means that it always been higher then 3.3V. The 5V rise with the 3V but on the steeper slope. when the 3.3V reach its destination the 5V reach 3.4V.

On "STANDBY TO FULL LOAD" test:
Its similar to the previous test when, The 12V voltage did rise after the 3V like you said but it started from 5V, deeped to 4V - it means that it always been higher then 3.3V. The 5V rise with the 3V but on the steeper slope. when the 3.3V reach its destination the 5V reach 4V.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/aris-bitziopoulos/gigabyte-aorus-gp-ap850gm-psu-review/6/

Also reading the Intel Specification is rather confusing as the wording and the graphs are very unspecific as they may suggest that they mean combined output level for the 12v1 12 v2 and 5v and not individual 
See how they combined the 12v1 12 v2 and 5v in a single graph
RmOn8Yy.png

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

4 hours ago, MineBloxCoderYT said:

On 11/23/2019 at 2:36 PM, LukeSavenije said:

from a quick look it would fall around tier c-b

dcdc, but only a 30c rating and a bit questionable otp

It needs work to determine accurate position, it's in check list still.

what are your experiences with renewed corsair psu's that are sold by corsair outlets and fullfiled by amazon 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZ2FX5C/ref=dp_cr_wdg_tit_rfb

they supposedly come with a 10year warranty and something like the rmi-650w is sold for 55$

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

9 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

what are your experiences with renewed corsair psu's that are sold by corsair outlets and fullfiled by amazon 

i haven't really heard what kind of tests they go through first

maybe @jonnyGURU can enlighten me here

Are Microcenter's branded PowerSpec PSUs in the check list ?

22 minutes ago, Juular said:

Are Microcenter's branded PowerSpec PSUs in the check list ?

they're not

if you got any info on them, happy to hear

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

There are other three four models too, Bronze PS-BSM and PS-BF and Gold PS-GFM and PS-GSM.

@OrionFOTL might have some info on them.

According to him, Bronze ones are Sirfa High Power Element Smart. No idea on the Gold PS ones.

8 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

i haven't really heard what kind of tests they go through first

maybe @jonnyGURU can enlighten me here

They just test them on a SunMoon and repackage them.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

They just test them on a SunMoon and repackage them.

Is that good or bad ? ?

PC Part Picker

6 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

Is that good or bad ? ?

SunMoon is technical equipment that is used for testing if a PSU works, so I would guess the testing is certainly not lacking

@jonnyGURU I wonder if they scrap ones they find to be bad, some issue that is less easy than just replacing some modular cables , or do they attempt to repair?

17 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

SunMoon is technical equipment that is used for testing if a PSU works, so I would guess the testing is certainly not lacking

@jonnyGURU I wonder if they scrap ones they find to be bad, some issue that is less easy than just replacing some modular cables , or do they attempt to repair?

some of them are 70% cheaper than the new ones also on amazon page they say 10 year warranty , should we reccomend them to people ?

lWmVuyV.png

PC Part Picker

2 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

They scrap them for any reason.  From scratches to bad fans.  It just takes too many resources to repair a PSU... and then, you really should do Hi-Pot and burn in testing on it after you repair and retest it.  It just a major time suck.

1 hour ago, Mezoxin said:

some of them are 70% cheaper than the new ones also on amazon page they say 10 year warranty , should we reccomend them to people ?

lWmVuyV.png

10 year warranty on refurb product is incorrect.

Have a link to that?

3 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

They scrap them for any reason.  From scratches to bad fans.  It just takes too many resources to repair a PSU... and then, you really should do Hi-Pot and burn in testing on it after you repair and retest it.  It just a major time suck.

10 year warranty on refurb product is incorrect.

Have a link to that?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZ2FX5C/ref=dp_cr_wdg_tit_rfb?tag=linus21-20

PC Part Picker