[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Even at full load in high ambient temperature conditions ? I don't think so. At 50-60% load quite possibly, that's why most units have lowest RPM settings somewhere up to this value. Maybe some very high-end units with a lot of overbuilding can sustain fully fanless operation in hotbox conditions at 100% load but i doubt that a norm.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

14 minutes ago, Juular said:

Even at full load in high ambient temperature conditions ? I don't think so. At 50-60% load quite possibly, that's why most units have lowest RPM settings somewhere up to this value. Maybe some very high-end units with a lot of overbuilding can sustain fully fanless operation in hotbox conditions at 100% load but i doubt that a norm.

Fanless PSUs do run at 50-60% load. It's just that their 50% load is indicated as 100% load on the label. 

:)

17 minutes ago, Juular said:

Even at full load in high ambient temperature conditions ? I don't think so.

read what i said above

23 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

the units will go on for years because they're simply that far overbuilt that they can sustain it

they are simply so far overbuilt with components, that they might just do 50% of what they could do with a fan. and again, they get hot, just not hot enough

25 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Fanless PSUs do run at 50-60% load. It's just that their 50% load is indicated as 100% load on the label. 

Fanless ? Sure. All semi-passive units i've seen have OCP set to no more than 140%, 50% of that would be 70% load, they quite possibly would be good at this load completely fanless, yes.

22 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

they are simply so far overbuilt with components, that they might just do 50% of what they could do with a fan. and again, they get hot, just not hot enough

I'm not trying to argue here or anything, i just don't see your logic. Again, 50% of 150% are 75%, not 100%, you're not buying a PSU to load it no more than to 75%. If it's completely fanless it should be designed for operation in hot-box conditions at 100% rated load, i.e being overbuild like twice, that's why there's very few such PSUs, it's simply economically nonviable. And even then i think diminishing returns would kick in somewhere at 750-1000W so it would be a piece of art if you manage to cramp 1300-1500W of power in fanless operation at 50° C ambient in standard ATX PSU case, even ATX-long-ass.

18 minutes ago, Juular said:

If it's completely fanless it should be designed for operation in hot-box conditions at 100% rated load, i.e being overbuild like twice, that's why there's very few such PSUs

and that are the good fanless PSUs

but i mean... I'm a always-spin person, as noted earlier

7 minutes ago, komi1997 said:

found some shots of mwe white v2 internals on some chinese website

i like how they marked it as nsfw

42 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i like how they marked it as nsfw

psu noods?

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Dang prices have gone insane on the top tier Units now! Post black friday and Tariffs no doubt.

Looks like for PCpartpicker lists i am going to have to factor this in now unless I cheap out on the PSU just a little.... perhaps Tier B+ units will do fine as long as its not too high end.

Hello guys,

thank you again for your help (on page 30 of this thread).

I know my account name isn't fitting anymore ? but I have decided to buy a Corsair HX1000 PLATINUM (since my upcoming overclocked 10900k and 3080ti will easily push 700+ W) and I want it to be easy for the PSU.. not be working 90+% every day..so 850W would be too close for comfort.

The question is: if I am not buying from Corsair Website (I found it at an authorized seller on ebay where I get a personal discount of 10%)  how do I know if the Corsair HX1000 PSU they are selling is the new one or old one? and I don't mean used or new. Bare with me:

On google I can see forum mentions or reviews of corsair hx 1000 as far back as 2008. I know Corsair updated the series (keeping exactly same name) multiple times with each iteration having much better ripple suppression etc.. But if name is identical and it looks the same, how can I know which ''version'' I am buying?? No online shop (not even corsair, but I am giving them the benefit of the doubt) gives any ''manufacture year''.

Are there any small differentiating details\numbers I should look out for?

Or is the only sure way to get the newest one buying from corsair website?

here is the psu on ebay I am talking about: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Corsair-HX1000-PC-Netzteil-schwarz/254449071872

(it looks exactly the same as on corsair website)

20 minutes ago, SeasonicPSU said:

Hello guys,

thank you again for your help (on page 30 of this thread).

I know my account name isn't fitting anymore ? but I have decided to buy a Corsair HX1000 PLATINUM (since my upcoming overclocked 10900k and 3080ti will easily push 700+ W) and I want it to be easy for the PSU.. not be working 90+% every day..so 850W would be too close for comfort.

The question is: if I am not buying from Corsair Website (I found it at an authorized seller on ebay where I get a personal discount of 10%)  how do I know if the Corsair HX1000 PSU they are selling is the new one or old one? and I don't mean used or new. Bare with me:

On google I can see forum mentions or reviews of corsair hx 1000 as far back as 2008. I know Corsair updated the series (keeping exactly same name) multiple times with each iteration having much better ripple suppression etc.. But if name is identical and it looks the same, how can I know which ''version'' I am buying?? No online shop (not even corsair, but I am giving them the benefit of the doubt) gives any ''manufacture year''.

Are there any small differentiating details\numbers I should look out for?

Or is the only sure way to get the newest one buying from corsair website?

here is the psu on ebay I am talking about: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Corsair-HX1000-PC-Netzteil-schwarz/254449071872

(it looks exactly the same as on corsair website)

That's the new one. You can tell by the label colour.

Blue = old, gray = new.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

On 10/23/2019 at 12:15 PM, LukeSavenije said:

Tier B

Hear Yee, Hear Yee!  Townspeople of this thread!

It is my great displeasure to announce (or just draw attention to) that EVGA has yet another "Letter + Number" Power Supply Successor!

Meet the EVGA B3 (Bronze) (which is not currently in the list yet, sorry Luke, haha): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hWs8TW/evga-b3-550w-80-bronze-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-b3-0550-v1

1 minute ago, LogicWeasel said:

Hear Yee, Hear Yee!  Townspeople of this thread!

It is my great displeasure to announce (or just draw attention to) that EVGA has yet another "Letter + Number" Power Supply Successor!

Meet the EVGA B3 (Bronze) (which is not currently in the list yet, sorry Luke, haha): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hWs8TW/evga-b3-550w-80-bronze-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-b3-0550-v1

Not new.

Tier B (Budget)

• Antec - EDGE, TruePower Classic
  • be Quiet! - Power Zone, System Power 9 =>400 watts
  • Corsair - Vengeance Bronze, CX* (2017), CXM* (2015),  CXM (2012)*=>750w
  • Cooler Master - MWE Bronze =>600w
  • Cougar - GX-S, LX
  • Deepcool - DQ-ST
  • EVGA - B2, BQ =>750, B3, G3
  • Fractal Design - Integra M
  • FSP - Aurum Pro
  • Lian Li - SFX-L
  • LEPA - G600
  • Riotoro - Onyx
  • Rosewill - Capstone G
  • SeaSonic - M12II >=750W
  • Silverstone - Bronze SFX V3.0, Strider GS
  • Super Flower - Leadex Silver
  • Thermaltake - Toughpower Grand/RGB, Toughpower DPS DPS Gold/RGB, London, BlueEvo 2.0, Smart Pro RGB, Smart series =>750W,
  • Vivo - 24K 650W
  • XFX -  Pro XXX, Pro XTR, Pro Black, Pro Black FM, TS Gold
  • Xilence - Performance A+, Performance X
  • Zalman - EBT 

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

5 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Not new.

Yeah I noticed it's been out for a bit, but it's also not ancient either.  Was it just an oversight that it didn't get moved into list 4.0?  Since the B2 is placed at Tier B in the present list?

11 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Yeah I noticed it's been out for a bit, but it's also not ancient either.  Was it just an oversight that it didn't get moved into list 4.0?  Since the B2 is placed at Tier B in the present list?

Probably was just an oversight. 

Wasn't the best unit. Early units had non existing OPP. Was later resolved, but there's no exterior manufacturing date so you can't tell the difference.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

14 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Early units had non existing OPP.

I presume that's highly uncommon since it's based on a SuperFlower Leadex Bronze (at least according to the Tom's review I skipped through).

5 hours ago, SeasonicPSU said:

since my upcoming overclocked 10900k and 3080ti will easily push 700+ W

These parts don't exist yet, so how do you know?

Currently, a 9900K and 2080Ti, both overclocked, doesn't draw anywhere near 700w and would have sufficient of room to breathe on a 650w unit.

Edited by MEC-777
fixed quote

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

41 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

These parts don't exist yet, so how do you know?

Currently, a 9900K and 2080Ti, both overclocked, doesn't draw anywhere near 700w and would have sufficient of room to breathe on a 650w unit.

????

where'd i type that in?????

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

4 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

????

He by mistake had quoted your quote of @SeasonicPSU   as seen here: 

It should have quoted SeasonicPSU as they are the one bringing up the idea of vapor-hardware they're buying a PSU today for (a rather odd errand I must say, we don't even know for certain that Intel & NVIDIA will even give the new products the names i9-10900k or RTX 3080 Ti, and yet they're so certain they need a 1000W PSU to run them, seems quite a folly to do that so early, like counting chickens before the company has hatched them, one might say)

55 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

????

When you quote a section of a post that is a quote that then inherits the name of the first layer poster, you not @SeasonicPSU. Yea it's a right pain if you don't notice what you are quoting is a quote in the first place, so confusing.

4 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

EVGA B3

Oh, it's rather old, i think i've asked about it somewhere on the thread already, IIRC it has the same problems as G3 so it's probably D+ tier too.

3 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

????

Looks like you're sleepwalking lol :)

3 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

????

I quoted from your quote instead of the original reply, lol. My mistake. Fixed it now. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

@LukeSavenije

Hello, 

Regarding to your post in Oct, there is no confirmation on Seasonic Focus GX series and I saw you added it as Tier A @Rev6.2 

I would like to ask is that means Focus GX series are "safe to buy" option for Asus rog strix 2080Ti (~330W). 

I am worried if it will triggered OCP and cause reboot/shut down because my currently Aerocool Project 7 850w had this issue.

Thanks for the advice

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1093286-why-you-shouldnt-buy-a-seasonic-focus-plus-goldplatinum/?tab=comments#comment-12801714

34 minutes ago, Zxaoer said:

I would like to ask is that means Focus GX series are "safe to buy" option for Asus rog strix 2080Ti (~330W). 

in theory it should be fine, but there haven't been heavy transient tests with it that i know of. There are two reviews out so far, being the phanteks amp on tomshardware and the PX at Kitguru. There should be more coming soon.

if you want to play it safe with it, you grab something that has been wider tested with it, and i'm happy to help looking if certain PSUs have tripping issues, as 2080 ti is one of the more common cards to cause this