[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

16 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

We don't even have to leave tonight's post to put that claim to rest.  Four hours ago, in the thread entitled "Rosewill PHOTON 650W vs Corsair RM650x PSU?" I wrote:

"The tier lists in this forum are a hot mess and barely worth considering. The Corsair RMx should be at least a tier up and has a solid advantage over the Photon." 

so you posted in an obscure topic that got no traffic and we were somehow supposed to see that? you didn't even mention me or hit the agree button so nobody got pinged, how was anyone gonna find out

and you sill didn't give a reason why the Photon should be a leg up. You didn't point out the specific flaw in the tier list that misrepresents the difference in the Photon and the RMX so what was even the point. therefore

There you go. An example of a clear and actionable information that will be ignored like all the others

it wasn't actionable information, just an opinion you threw out during a mini rant.

I could also restate all those criticisms and suggestions if you wish.

no thanks, all your posts are recorded already. If you truly believe that we wouldn't go back to reevaluate, don't waste your time posting again here and spinning your tires in the mud.

I never called you a liar and I don't recall calling your work BS either.

you have constantly said that every criticism levied against many seasonic PSUs were not true, and have stated multiple times that the entire concept of a tier list is bogus and this one should be disposed of. This entire remark is a boldfaced lie.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

19 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

snip

not here to argue about PSUs, i'm just going to say this:

like the example you quoted, maybe put that in this thread+reasons and sources? i'm no way as knowledgeable as others in PSUs, but i know that stating the problem once or twice is enough, unlike with s12ii etc

if it's not edited into the list or sources i'm sure luke+team has reasons. not everyone agrees on everything, i'm sure you have IRL examples of that too

there's stuff i don't agree with on this list(not always the content itself), but if i wanted them to fix it, i'll state it once and hope that they act on it or give more info on why not

things like "tier lists suck" and stuff like that are what i'm mostly refering too

i'ma head out now

not related but please use a font/typeface something that's not serif

also to anyone who thinks i'm wasting time: i was bored

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

so you posted in an obscure topic that got no traffic and we were somehow supposed to see that? you didn't even mention me or hit the agree button so nobody got pinged, how was anyone gonna find out

Which is why I offered to quote ALL OF MY PAST SUGGESTIONS.  It's almost like I could predict what your response was going to be.  Yet you still wrote it.

and you sill didn't give a reason why the Photon should be a leg up. You didn't point out the specific flaw in the tier list that misrepresents the difference in the Photon and the RMX so what was even the point. therefore

it wasn't actionable information, just an opinion you threw out during a mini rant.

As suggestions are often opinions, this criticism is irrelevant. 

no thanks, all your posts are recorded already. If you truly believe that we wouldn't go back to reevaluate, don't waste your time posting again here and spinning your tires in the mud.

you have constantly said that every criticism levied against many seasonic PSUs were not true, and have stated multiple times that the entire concept of a tier list is bogus and this one should be disposed of. This entire remark is a boldfaced lie.

Could you be more specific?  Exactly what is a "bold faced lie" in your mind? 

And if you are aware of my past input, then why did you incorrectly state just a few posts before that such posts were never made?  In fact, you just alluded to a couple examples in the form of the questionable categorization and criteria applied to several Seasonic units. You are repeatedly contradicting your own logic.  I am not even sure what your point is anymore, other than you don't like my opinion.

Just for clarification, believing a tier list is pointless and offering suggestions for it are not mutually exclusive positions.

19 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

It's whack complaining about failed protections, when the failures seem to be when someone significantly overloads a power supply. If something is failing in an expected environment then yeah it should be lambasted, but no one should be surprised something fails when you completely disregard every bit of common sense surrounding its use. Power supply calculators exist for a reason.

Agreed.  Its worth considering as part of a balanced assessment, but they take it WAY too far.

2 hours ago, FALC0N said:

You never listened to the criticisms to begin with.  How is this any different than before?

don't i? maybe not to yours because you were simply wrong. you wanted to prove me that a s12ii doesn't go out of spec when you load up the 12v too much compared to the 5v. you're claiming the cx is worse and all on a basis where i don't tier on. go ask jonnyguru, tweakpc, the mask or whoever you want, ask them if a group regulated unit with no uvp on 12v can be brought out of spec this way, and report it back. I'm pretty sure they'll say the same

focus has it's clear reasons, g3 has it's clear reasons and you've not even said WHY photon should be lowered

this is exactly what people meant, you're asking a list to be less subjective, but you add subjective opinions to everything

2 hours ago, FALC0N said:

Just for clarification, believing a tier list is pointless and offering suggestions for it are not mutually exclusive positions.

then what would be some changes we can make to the list that will make it better. 

and not in the way of bumping units outside of the ranking system system in place. 

you seem to favor a decompression of the list to make room for electrical performance and perhaps noise. 

how do you propose such a ranking system would be implemented?

right now this is the manner PSUs are supposed to be ranked:

Tier S must have OCP, OPP, SCP, OTP, ICP, UVP, OVP, well configured multirail, independent regulation, be Half-/Full bridge and meet c6/c7 sleep states. they exceed a+ requirements and stand out from the other tier units in build quality.

Tier A+ is required to have OCP, OPP, SCP, OTP, ICP, UVP, OVP, well configured multirail, independent regulation, be ACRF/Half-/Full bridge and meet c6/c7 sleep states.

Tier A is required to have OCP, OPP, SCP, OTP, ICP, UVP, OVP, independent regulation, be ACRF/Half-/Full bridge and meet c6/c7 sleep states.

Tier B+ is required to have OPP, SCP, OTP, ICP, UVP, OVP, independent regulation, be ACRF/Half-/Full bridge and meet c6/c7 sleep states.

Tier B is required to have OPP, SCP, ICP, UVP, OVP, independent regulation and meet c6/c7 sleep states.

Tier C is required to have OPP, SCP, ICP, UVP, OVP and meet c6/c7 sleep states.

Tier D is everything that falls short of the other tier's requirements, but can only have a potential to be dangerous in certain situations.

Tier E has heavily malfunctioning protections or far outdated and is not recommended to use with any modern system.

you try to appear interested to help. so please, could you help?

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

@FALC0N i had a look into that rosewill again... double forward

so i'll hand that one to you, it's updated now

Rosewill Photon 650W is not double forward though. 850W and up are.

If you checked only one model (like 1050W), which happened to be double forward, and assumed all Photons are same, then you can't do that - power supply series very often use different platforms for different wattages.

28 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Rosewill Photon 650W is not double forward though

oh, fun... different platforms as always

my bad

edit: it's fixed

9 hours ago, FALC0N said:

"The tier lists in this forum are a hot mess and barely worth considering. The Corsair RMx should be at least a tier up and has a solid advantage over the Photon." 

See my answer to your previous post in this thread. If you want to contribute anything - cite not only what units you think should be moved but why. It's not enough to just say 'this PSU is better than that', this doesn't contribute any information, people maintaining this list decided for some reason that one PSU is better than other, if you want to change that - cite why you think it should be other way. Until, your post are just background noise.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

BTW, @LukeSavenije why you've omitted changelog ? It may not much of a necessity for this list target auditory (newbies seeing for advice in choosing PSUs) but for us, people that are frequent here it's quite useful too see what was changed.

On 11/2/2019 at 2:34 AM, Juular said:

If it's multi-GPU system then i assume you need short PSU because it's some cramped ITX\mATX case, you're doing it wrong 

Hey, not everybody wants to have a computer that's the size of a mini fridge.

34 minutes ago, Juular said:

BTW, @LukeSavenije why you've omitted changelog ?

mostly because i had to do and sources, and revision and change date

I'm playing around a bit with what works best currently

37 minutes ago, donut4490 said:

Hey, not everybody wants to have a computer that's the size of a mini fridge.

It ought to be if you have multi-GPU system, because PSU size restrictions (hence OP can't find any smallish 1000W PSUs) and because it's gonna be hot in there if these GPUs ain't just sitting there doing nothing (1000W dissipated power, that's basically a room heater). I mean, it's perfectly okay to have multi-GPU in normal sized mATX case but since they're searching for short PSU i guess it's not just your average case, it's smth like these tiny ass borderline HTPC m-ITX cases and if that's the case i don't see how they're cramped enough power there to grant 1000W PSU in the first place.

43 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

mostly because i had to do and sources, and revision and change date

I'm playing around a bit with what works best currently

If you're constantly updating something with "Rev" in the title, you should probably make note of what's actually changing in the document as @LienusLateTips did

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

7 hours ago, FALC0N said:

The Corsair RMx should be at least a tier up and has a solid advantage over the Photon." 

Which you never bothered to name.  You do realize phrasing stuff like this just makes your posting look like the angry peanut gallery.  If you're going to argue facts, then PRESENT facts.  So far you have an opinion and didn't even name what your stated  "a solid advantage"  is.

11 hours ago, FALC0N said:

But claiming that I wasn't offering them is just bizarre.

You really keep missing on the bus on what a "helpful suggestion" is.  In most of your pattern responses: you start by flaming on the tier list and how it should be unmade, then state a PSU you feel was heavily wronged/maligned you would change.   That is not the same thing.

Would Tier A/A+ also apply to single GPU, dual-system setups (i.e. for streaming and rendering)?

43 minutes ago, Hyncharas said:

Would Tier A/A+ also apply to single GPU, dual-system setups (i.e. for streaming and rendering)?

Dual-system eh ? If you mean multipurpose build, yes, of course. Generally anything from tier B and up are good for any single-GPU setup except maybe for extra power-hungry GPUs like AMD Vega & RTX2080 Super \ Ti.

1 hour ago, Hyncharas said:

as in two cpus one board or actually a dual system? the only psu i know that supports that is the revolt x

Hey @LukeSavenije, Do you know where a Rosewill Lepton 500 would fall? I've looked round quite a bit for it but got nothing.

Thanks

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

1 hour ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

I've looked round quite a bit for it but got nothing.

seems to be an andyson gx... i'll report whenever i can... but others: feel free to

1 minute ago, agentlaidlaw said:

why is the g3 on the D list?? its a solid PSU that's actually better than the G5 that replaces it. please don't tell me because it has a higher OCP limit. if that's the reason to recommend crappier units over it then you are truly pulling at straws by over blowing (ironically) an issue out of proportion. that psu will not blow up on you. unless you heavily abuse it in conditions that 99% of people won't do. if you're going to tarnish an amazing psu you could at least take the time to explain your bizarre reasoning to warrant such extreme measures to shoo people away from it. "Potentially dangerous, but only in specific situations" is going to make people completely ignore it for an issue that's way over blown and choose actually worse psu's over it that will blow on them.

i get it, some people hate evga. some people are loyal fan boys but this ocp issue with it is just completely taken out of context. i'm completely knew here and came from reddit but seeing that just annoyed me beyond belief. such a great psu being pooped on.

not to take sides or anything, but sources would be helpful

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

13 minutes ago, agentlaidlaw said:

please don't tell me its because it has a higher OCP limit

that's one of the things, but the main thing is it almost exploding in opp testing

6 minutes ago, agentlaidlaw said:

how many units are going to endure such extreme conditions to come close to that?

i mean... isn't that what reviews are for in the first place?

if part of the capacitor's housing melts, the unit pops on opp test and I've had similar personal reports coming from nzxt, why would i still trust it then? i have evidence to show why i don't trust it, and both SF and EVGA have shown no changes to it. 

for your feeling you're defending a flagship, for mine you're defending a flawed enough unit to not meet requirements

and the bombs are a tier lower

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

and the bombs are a tier lower

too few people read the requirements for each tier. and jump to the conclusion that tier D stands for Diablotek.