Corsair with pen Mark's on cables?

Mike UK
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
4 hours ago, Mike UK said:

Ok long story short I built a pc the power supply was bad and blew up my motherboard. Rma the psu and they sent out another one with similar Mark's on the cables could be pen? Anyone else had this... the cables look used too... strange the box was sealed in plastic...

IMG-20191023-WA0002.jpeg

So I asked one of the Corsair Q.A. engineers about this a while back.  They said they mark the connectors with magic marker to show that they were tested for pin to pin compatibility.  No markings mean the cables weren't tested, so they don't pack them until they're tested.

Which model in particular is this?  While I'm not concerned about the magic marker markings, I am concerned with how dirty the cables look and why there's white stuff all over the connector.

Ok long story short I built a pc the power supply was bad and blew up my motherboard. Rma the psu and they sent out another one with similar Mark's on the cables could be pen? Anyone else had this... the cables look used too... strange the box was sealed in plastic...

IMG-20191023-WA0002.jpeg

I have 3 corsair PSUs in use right now and have had a couple more over the years.

Never seen that before.  If you can return that one I would.

2 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I have 3 corsair PSUs in use right now and have had a couple more over the years.

Never seen that before.  If you can return that one I would.

This is the 2nd I've had with these marks all over the keys... closer look they look used. I am from the UK I had to phone the US phone number to speak to somebody they are investigating this something strange is going on here. Dont forget the first one blew up my PC.

20191023_164251.jpg

20191023_164201.jpg

20191023_164226.jpg

4 hours ago, Mike UK said:

IMG-20191023-WA0002.jpeg

So I asked one of the Corsair Q.A. engineers about this a while back.  They said they mark the connectors with magic marker to show that they were tested for pin to pin compatibility.  No markings mean the cables weren't tested, so they don't pack them until they're tested.

Which model in particular is this?  While I'm not concerned about the magic marker markings, I am concerned with how dirty the cables look and why there's white stuff all over the connector.

On 10/23/2019 at 9:38 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Hi sorry for the late reply been really busy. It's a corsair rm750x I'm still waiting for corsair to get back to me. Not really impressed with them if I'm honest.

1 hour ago, Mike UK said:

Hi sorry for the late reply been really busy. It's a corsair rm750x I'm still waiting for corsair to get back to me. Not really impressed with them if I'm honest.

Well, if you're in the UK, your support ticket goes through Scan.

And both Corsair HQ and Scan's support are closed on the weekends.

But I'm not sure what you expect them to do for you.  Odds are, they'll send more cables and they'll be the same deal.

But in the meantime, I'll take your photos and forward them to someone at the Corsair QA department to ask about the "dinginess" of the cables.

EDIT:  Oh, and if you can share the first eight digits of the PSU's serial number with me, that would be great.  That shows when the PSU was made.

QC guys got back to me already.  They say the white stuff is the anti-flammability coating to make sure the cables and connectors meet a UL94 V-0 requirement.

i never seen any cable with marker marks before..=x..but i'm using cooler master..haha

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X 4.3Ghz (-0.1V)
  • Motherboard
    MSI MEG X570 ACE
  • RAM
    G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) F4-3200C16D-32GTRS
  • GPU
    GeForce RTX™ 3060 EAGLE OC 12G (rev. 2.0)
  • Case
    Cooler Master MASTERBOX MB520 ARGB + Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R ARGB
  • Storage
    ADATA XPG SX8100 2TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD
    ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB 2.5" SSD
    Toshiba X300 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache
    TOSHIBA MG06 (MG06ACA10TE) 10TB 3.5 Inch 7200RPM Enterprise SATA Hard Drive
  • PSU
    Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 FULL MODULAR
  • Display(s)
    Acer KG271B Gaming Monitor (HDR Ready 27" 1920X1080 240Hz) + MSI PRO MP241
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R RGB
  • Keyboard
    MSI Vigor GK80 RED GAMING KEYBOARD
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red Edition Wired Laser Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
  • Router
    Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX 11000

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

QC guys got back to me already.  They say the white stuff is the anti-flammability coating to make sure the cables and connectors meet a UL94 V-0 requirement.

Ok so I've had conversation through a ticket for over 3 weeks. Back and forth. This is my 3rd power supply because my first was faulty with a cross polarisation issue that blew up my motherboard. I was told if the psu damaged any other component they wouldn't replace them (I know now that the other parts are all fine apart from the mothrboard I didn't then) I was told by somebody else I was told wrong later on they would do a damage claim and replace anything else that was damaged. Over the 3 weeks they could not explain the cabling they told me to return it to the retailer. I have phoned them up in the US from here in the UK twice... I work early mornings so this meant i was going to bed alot later... real pain.. still nobody has got back to me suppose to have been passed on to a psu expert... I have made 2 videos on youtube for them and sent at least 20 pictures

I would of expected them to firstly sell me a working power supply in the first place. 2nd have better customer service for the UK. 3 have an idea about their own products.

On 10/24/2019 at 2:32 AM, Mike UK said:

Ok long story short I built a pc the power supply was bad and blew up my motherboard.

Was this a new build or were you replacing the power supply in an old build?
Did you use the cables that came with the PSU or did you use cables from another modular PSU or custom cables?

1 hour ago, Mike UK said:

This is my 3rd power supply because my first was faulty with a cross polarisation issue that blew up my motherboard.

What went wrong with the 2nd unit that required it to be RMA'd?
What's wrong with the 3rd unit? Or are you still just in contact with Corsair regarding the motherboard that died from the first unit?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 hours ago, Mike UK said:

This is my 3rd power supply because my first was faulty with a cross polarisation issue that blew up my motherboard

Agreeing with Spotty here.  Your last post set off all sorts of signals for me.  I don't expect everyone to know what they're talking about, but this sounds like a stand up line.

What was "cross polarized"?  Your mains or the DC output? 

6 hours ago, Spotty said:

Did you use the cables that came with the PSU or did you use cables from another modular PSU or custom cables?

What's wrong with the 3rd unit? Or are you still just in contact with Corsair regarding the motherboard that died from the first unit?

Here's his original thread:

It looks like the correct 8-pin and the 8-pin is plugged in correctly.  So I don't know what "cross polarization" to mean.

If the cables were in fact wired wrong from the factory, then Corsair would in fact replace the motherboard for him.  But then the cables also wouldn't have the magic marker on them either.  

So I think there's a lot more to this saga than we're being told.

It is a first time build, after all.

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

So yes the whole thing is still unresolved with corsair. I sent the first one back and noticed the black marker pen it was mistaken for burn mark. When the second came out I was still talking to corsair I told them and the retailer about the marks again on the replacement and they said return that too. The third had them on again when the retailer said do what ever corsair reccomend and corsair didn't know what to do. I tried it last night and it worked fine.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

It looks like the correct 8-pin and the 8-pin is plugged in correctly.  So I don't know what "cross polarization" to mean.

If the cables were in fact wired wrong from the factory, then Corsair would in fact replace the motherboard for him.  But then the cables also wouldn't have the magic marker on them either.  

So I think there's a lot more to this saga than we're being told.

It is a first time build, after all.

Thanks for the reply. So I had the build checked and took videos and pictures. I contacted a vlogger for help they said it was a faulty psu with the cross polarisation thing.. I have no idea cables or psu I'm sorry only doing what I was told. I rebuilt the unit again and it worked fine with new motherboard and psu... I wish I had plugged something in wrong as it would put me out my misery although I have been told I didn't everything was correct.

2 hours ago, Mike UK said:

I contacted a vlogger for help they said it was a faulty psu with the cross polarisation thing.. 

Yeah.. I haven't met a single "vlogger" that can troubleshoot their way out of a paper bag.

Good luck, though.

2 hours ago, Mike UK said:

So yes the whole thing is still unresolved with corsair. I sent the first one back and noticed the black marker pen it was mistaken for burn mark. When the second came out I was still talking to corsair I told them and the retailer about the marks again on the replacement and they said return that too. The third had them on again when the retailer said do what ever corsair reccomend and corsair didn't know what to do. I tried it last night and it worked fine.

So the 2nd and 3rd power supplies were fine and didn't/don't need to be returned.

It's pretty obvious that it's marker drawn on the connector and not burn marks. If the cables were burned I would expect to see the actual plastic housing of the pins melted, possibly the plastic coating on the wires too. Likely also damage (burn marks, melting) to the connector socket on the motherboard as well.

Given how your motherboard fried itself I imagine you were expecting to see burned cables, so I can understand why you might have mistaken the discoloration of the marker for burn marks on the first power supply cables. Most people probably don't look that closely at their connectors or expect to see burn marks on them so they likely just never notice sharpie markings like that.

It is disappointing that Corsair support didn't pick up on this, at least with the 2nd and 3rd unit you contacted them about. There should have been no need to return the 2nd unit if it was handled better and it wouldn't have needed to drag out for so long to get a resolution, but we also don't know what was said to support either and if you just told them "I got my PSU and the cables are burned" then they can only work with the information they have.

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Looking at the photos in that first thread the motherboard is definitely fried. Unclear whether it was the power supply that fried the motherboard or if the motherboard fried itself. Looks like it is plugged in correctly and those are the correct Type4 cables, I can't see anything that stands out as having done anything wrong in regards to building the PC. It's unfortunate to happen to a new builder but in some rare cases parts are just dead on arrival and it's not a matter of doing anything right or wrong.

You should be able to replace the motherboard through ASUS as that damage would be covered by the motherboard warranty.

52 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah.. I haven't met a single "vlogger" that can troubleshoot their way out of a paper bag.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450