First new build in 6 years!! Upgrading from Sandy Bridge

So I'm finally going to be retiring my i7 2600K which has been serving me well for many many years. I'll be building a new system for gaming, some light video/audio editing as well as Netflix and movies. I'm going for a black and white theme so I'm mainly picking parts that fit this aesthetic. Monitor-wise I'm going for either 1080p 144Hz or 1440p 60Hz.Right now I'm leaning towards 1080p 144Hz since all the video content I consume is in 1080p anyways. Budget is $1,500 USD max, preferably less.

This is what I have planned so far (not including the monitor and other accessories):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($194.79 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($79.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B450-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($103.90 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($82.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($64.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card  ($419.99 @ B&H) 
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.97 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1256.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-23 00:24 EDT-0400

Some notes:

1. I'm planning on getting the Chromax white heatsink + fan swaps for the D15S just to match the black and white aesthetic. Is this cooler overkill for the 3600? I'm also considering getting the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo because it's only $39 and comes in white as well. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. In terms of the video card, is the 5700 XT worth it over the 5700? Assuming I decide to go with 1080p 144Hz. Also should I get the MSI Mech OC or the Sapphire Nitro+?

3. Please recommended some aftermarket case fans for the H510 as I've seen in reviews that the included fan is quite loud.

Thanks a lot!

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

3 minutes ago, Cs342 said:

MSI Mech OC or the Sapphire Nitro+?

Nitro is definite winner, the best 5700xt 

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Nitro is definite winner, the best 5700xt 

Thanks! It's $50 more though :(

Is recording/streaming an expected workload?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

Is recording/streaming an expected workload?

I'm not going to be doing any streaming but I'll be doing some audio recording and editing. Not professionally though so I'd prioritize gaming and content consumption above everything else. I also have like 100 Chrome tabs open at a time so web browsing is important too :P

5 minutes ago, Cs342 said:

Thanks! It's $50 more though :(

some time to an extend you can get a rtx2070super...

34 minutes ago, Cs342 said:

1. I'm planning on getting the Chromax white heatsink + fan swaps for the D15S just to match the black and white aesthetic. Is this cooler overkill for the 3600? I'm also considering getting the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo because it's only $39 and comes in white as well. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

3600 isnt a hot chip, Arctic Freezer 34 will do just fine even with some moderate oc

the asus b450 isnt anywhere impressive this round, asrock steel legend also give some good black & white with some rgb

also cheaper ssd

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kVzkcf/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-512-gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx8200pnp-512gt-c

32 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

3600 isnt a hot chip, Arctic Freezer 34 will do just fine even with some moderate oc

the asus b450 isnt anywhere impressive this round, asrock steel legend also give some good black & white with some rgb

also cheaper ssd

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kVzkcf/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-512-gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx8200pnp-512gt-c

Yeah I thought the D15S might be overkill, but it just looks so good with those Chromax caps... 

The steel legend looks really good, I don't care much for RGB but the white looks great! Will also check out the SSD! 

EDIT: How does the steel legend compare to the MSI tomahawk?

Since the PSU is hidden it's not white but also a much better price, I change the case (real name is P400A with a mesh front panel) for more airflow but if you really want that h510 I suggest Noctua fans, they are pricey but quiet and the chomax version will have full black with white pads.

If you want Noctua, the NH-U12S cooler also have the chromax white heatsink cover.

55 minutes ago, Cs342 said:

How does the steel legend compare to the MSI tomahawk?

tomahawk has 4+2 power powerphase vs 4 on steel legend, also cooler vrms and got bios flashing without a cpu.

steel legend is mostly for its look, temps are fine, not impressive cool.. but has 2 more sata port and 1 more m.2 slot

20 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Since the PSU is hidden it's not white but also a much better price, I change the case (real name is P400A with a mesh front panel) for more airflow but if you really want that h510 I suggest Noctua fans, they are pricey but quiet and the chomax version will have full black with white pads.

If you want Noctua, the NH-U12S cooler also have the chromax white heatsink cover.

The Corsair one comes with white cables though, so it would save me money compared to having to get custom cables for the Bitfenix power supply. I'll go with the Noctua fans, since I'm set on the H510

1 hour ago, Cs342 said:

How does the steel legend compare to the MSI tomahawk?

Steel Legend is just a Asrock Pro4 with RGB bling slathered on it, its VRM isn't really a competition for the MSI Tomahawk

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

15 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

tomahawk has 4+2 power powerphase vs 4 on steel legend, also cooler vrms and got bios flashing without a cpu.

steel legend is mostly for its look, temps are fine, not impressive cool.. but has 2 more sata port and 1 more m.2 slot

So the Steel Legend isn't compatible with the Ryzen 3600 out of the box?

Just now, Cs342 said:

Needs a BIOS update most probably, the Tomahawk MAX is ready out-of-the-box as its updated specifically for the Ryzen 3000 series

Older Tomahawks might need a BIOS update as well, but MSI gives you the BIOS flashback function so you don't need a CPU to update the BIOS.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

1 minute ago, BigRom said:

Needs a BIOS update most probably, the Tomahawk MAX is ready out-of-the-box as its updated specifically for the Ryzen 3000 series

Older Tomahawks might need a BIOS update as well, but MSI gives you the BIOS flashback function so you don't need a CPU to update the BIOS.

How would I update the BIOS if I don't have a previous gen Ryzen CPU?

Just now, Cs342 said:

ones with old bios needed an update, may ask the shop to do that.

newer produced boards shall have the latest bios. 

I think the box gives you month of production , mostly after ryzen 3000 launch shall be fine

5 minutes ago, Cs342 said:

The Corsair one comes with white cables though, so it would save me money compared to having to get custom cables for the Bitfenix power supply. I'll go with the Noctua fans, since I'm set on the H510

Good point about the cables, I didn't think of that :D 

You can still get the 750x version for a lesser price though :P 

1 minute ago, Plouffe said:

Good point about the cables, I didn't think of that :D 

You can still get the 750x version for a lesser price though :P 

Does it still have the same quality braided cables as the 850x? the thing is I currently have a Corsair HX750W with white cables, so I was thinking if I'm going to get a new PSU I might as well upgrade the wattage. Or do you think I could reuse a 6+ year PSU in my new build?

1 minute ago, Cs342 said:

Or do you think I could reuse a 6+ year PSU in my new build?

if your current psu is stable, there is no urge to get a new one, just open it up and dedust it.

btw, txm has 7yr warranty & rmx has 10yr warranty

imo new psu isnt a bad investment (but you really dont need 850w, 550w is plenty)

6 minutes ago, Cs342 said:

Does it still have the same quality braided cables as the 850x? the thing is I currently have a Corsair HX750W with white cables, so I was thinking if I'm going to get a new PSU I might as well upgrade the wattage. Or do you think I could reuse a 6+ year PSU in my new build?

Nah change it but there is no need to upgrade the wattage, even a 550w supply would be enough ;) so save those 10$ 

I did that mistake myself so don't do it too :P 

12 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Nah change it but there is no need to upgrade the wattage, even a 550w supply would be enough ;) so save those 10$ 

I did that mistake myself so don't do it too :P 

Isn't it better to have more wattage than you need though? In case I get a better GPU or CPU down the road

2 minutes ago, Cs342 said:

Isn't it better to have more wattage than you need though? In case I get a better GPU or CPU down the road

550w is enough for a 9900k+2080ti so I assume that a 3600+5700xt won't surpass that. Also PCP estimated wattage is kinda accurate and you would need 414w, so 550w is plenty :) 

6 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

550w is enough for a 9900k+2080ti so I assume that a 3600+5700xt won't surpass that. Also PCP estimated wattage is kinda accurate and you would need 414w, so 550w is plenty :) 

Ah ok I'll go with 750W then. Would the quality of the white cables on the 750x be the same as the 850x? I heard there was a model that didn't have braided cables

2 minutes ago, Cs342 said:

Ah ok I'll go with 750W then. Would the quality of the white cables on the 750x be the same as the 850x? I heard there was a model that didn't have braided cables

I see sleeved cables : https://www.corsair.com/fr/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/RMx-White-Series™-RM750x-—-750-Watt-80-PLUS®-Gold-Certified-Fully-Modular-PSU-(EU)/p/CP-9020155-EU#tab-overview

3 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

I'd really like some black and white individually braided cables but I'm pretty sure those are insanely expensive haha