Software that stops you from moving to linux?

49 minutes ago, Mnky313 said:

I have been holding off because my fingerprint swipe sensor (BCM 5880) doesn't work on linux, I know its a small thing but it's so convenient compared to typing in a password. That being said if windows pulls another one of it's bullshit updates that fails and then I have to sit there for an hour rebooting it until it finally realizes that the update is broke. (This shit happens like every week but it keeps god damn trying) I just might switch.

The only thing I can't make it works for Linux is the fingerprint sensor of my Zenbook 14. But eventually I have Pop OS installed and love it. There are much less stuffs running in the background. Make the laptop more smooth and responsive.

Logic Pro and Final Cut

I've been composing and editing on Apple products since the iBook G4 and at this point trying to relearn my entire workflow in another ecosystem would just be too much of a hassle.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

On 10/23/2019 at 2:55 AM, Kisai said:

This is a generalization to prove a point. You do not REPLACE the software you are required to use. You don't tell someone who want's to play World of Warcraft to play Runescape because it's a "Linux game". That's not the tool they want to learn or use. Telling people who need Photoshop for their job to just use TheGimp is the same as doing that.

Makes as much sense as saying you shouldn't move on to keyboards and monitors when you have typewriter because you just do not wish to learn a new technology. 

Tools are just tools. Whatever increases productivity should be picked over others. Many find terminals and Linux operating system to be much more versatile and productive than anything offer on windows. For them, that's what they should use regardless of what others are using. I doubt your boss will complain if you deliver them same or better result with a different operating system or softwares.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 10/23/2019 at 8:46 AM, Radium_Angel said:

I've worked extensively with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and love it, but the switch from init scripts to systemD took a once solid system and made it less so, so I've held off on a migration.

What's wrong with systemd?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 minutes ago, wasab said:

What's wrong with systemd?

Unsure, but it took my 14.04LTS system which never gave me issues, to a crashy buggy mess when I went to 16.04LTS (which was where SystemD made its first appearance) so much so I went *back* to 14.04LTS until it was no longer supported, and then shut the whole experiment down and went back to Windows.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

13 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Unsure, but it took my 14.04LTS system which never gave me issues, to a crashy buggy mess when I went to 16.04LTS (which was where SystemD made its first appearance) so much so I went *back* to 14.04LTS until it was no longer supported, and then shut the whole experiment down and went back to Windows.

You sure it was systemd that's crashing your computer? 

Statistically speaking, Ubuntu version 16.04 wasn't anymore buggier than the previous generations.

Most Linux users disagree with systemd because of philosophy which I consider stupid because the very original purpose of an init system was nothing more than just reaping orphan child proccesses. In fact it was the only thing they could do. Everyone who disagrees with systemd because it was too encompassing ought to look at original ones and rethink their entire notion of what an init system should be. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Visual Studio, Davinci Resolve, AMD ReLive, steam games, Unreal Engine, ... other game development software.

58 minutes ago, wasab said:

You sure it was systemd that's crashing your computer? 

Yup, considering it was the only thing that changed.

And the issue stopped when I went back to 14.04LTS.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Yup, considering it was the only thing that changed.

And the issue stopped when I went back to 14.04LTS.

There are a lot more changes besides just the init. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

36 minutes ago, fpo said:

Davinci Resolve,   Unreal Engine.

These have native Linux versions....

So do many steam games and more if run through protons. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

14 minutes ago, wasab said:

There are a lot more changes besides just the init. 

This is true, but a bit of googling when this occurred pointed all fingers at SD. Of course the philosophical discourse of init vs SD tends to cloud real answers. But thanks, I'll stick with init scripts.

What stops me is Vegas Pro. I tried every video editing that works on Linux, but nothing renders as fast as Vegas Pro for windows. Honestly that is all that stops me from switching to Linux 100%.

On 10/24/2019 at 10:42 AM, wasab said:

Makes as much sense as saying you shouldn't move on to keyboards and monitors when you have typewriter because you just do not wish to learn a new technology. 

Tools are just tools. Whatever increases productivity should be picked over others. Many find terminals and Linux operating system to be much more versatile and productive than anything offer on windows. For them, that's what they should use regardless of what others are using. I doubt your boss will complain if you deliver them same or better result with a different operating system or softwares.

And switching to Linux destroys productivity. Period. Be that wasting time on retraining on a new OS, or alternative software.

If you want to start a business and be a Linux shop. Go right ahead. But you are never convincing any bank or government agency to switch to Linux because they are not willing to retrain staff to use "new thing" if "current thing" works.

The Engineering office I do work for uses AutoCAD and Revit versions going back 8 years or so, All of those products need to work, and because the office deals with clients who may have their own reasons to use older AutoCAD products, you can't just tell a client to suck-it-up and replace what they have either. You work for them.

On 10/26/2019 at 9:58 AM, Kisai said:

The Engineering office I do work for uses AutoCAD and Revit versions going back 8 years or so, All of those products need to work, and because the office deals with clients who may have their own reasons to use older AutoCAD products, you can't just tell a client to suck-it-up and replace what they have either. You work for them.

Lol, what does the sign read on the door? Took this photo from the engineering department building at my school. 

If industry needs Linux OS and Linux softwares, you gonna what? You gonna tell your boss you want windows or Mac cuz you were too afraid of the terminal? You are being riddiculous. 

IMG_20191028_154158.jpg

Sudo make me a sandwich 

20 minutes ago, wasab said:

Lol, what does the sign read on the door? Took this photo from the engineering department building at my school. 

If industry needs Linux OS and Linux softwares, you gonna what? You gonna tell your boss you want windows or Mac cuz you were too afraid of the terminal? You are being riddiculous. 

IMG_20191028_154158.jpg

And you've been nothing but rude on this forum.

If you work for a company that uses Civil3D, Plant3D, AutoCAD, Revit, and so on, you have zero leverage on the company, they will fire you and replace you with someone who is willing to use the software they use. If you want to use Linux so bad, go start your own company and see how many people are willing do business with you when you can't follow the most basic instruction of "AutoCAD 2020 format"

6 minutes ago, Kisai said:

And you've been nothing but rude on this forum.

If you work for a company that uses Civil3D, Plant3D, AutoCAD, Revit, and so on, you have zero leverage on the company, they will fire you and replace you with someone who is willing to use the software they use. If you want to use Linux so bad, go start your own company and see how many people are willing do business with you when you can't follow the most basic instruction of "AutoCAD 2020 format"

I know I do not work for such companies and many jobs and bussiness require Linux and Linux knowledge. If you can't see that, I honestly do not know what to tell you other than you are factually wrong and ignorant. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

I know I do not work for such companies and many jobs and bussiness require Linux and Linux knowledge. If you can't see that, I honestly do not know what to tell you other than you are factually wrong and ignorant. 

I'm calling your bluff. Please show me a job listing that requires Desktop Linux that is not based at Google.

5 minutes ago, wasab said:

Show me a job listing, because you clearly can't follow instructions. And for reference, all of the "Linux" jobs at google, are Server Engineering jobs, not desktop Linux.

For reference there's only 4 jobs listed that "Linux Desktop" brings up at Google, and they still do not require a Linux Desktop.

image.png

3 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Show me a job listing, because you clearly can't follow instructions. And for reference, all of the "Linux" jobs at google, are Server Engineering jobs, not desktop Linux.

And why don't you point me a CAD job that's not engineering and design?

Does bussiness analyst on the 2nd page of the listing sounds like server engineering to you?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

9 minutes ago, Kisai said:

For reference there's only 4 jobs listed that "Linux Desktop" brings up at Google, and they still do not require a Linux Desktop.

image.png

And for the reference, I see no CAD jobs mention you need windows or macOS knowledge so what's your point?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

11 minutes ago, wasab said:

And why don't you point me a CAD job that's not engineering and design?

Does bussiness analyst on the 2nd page of the listing sounds like server engineering to you?

Post a link to the job, or copy paste the contents.

CAD is only Engineering and Design. What do you think the D in CAD stands for. "Drafting"

Every CAD job you will look up on linked in is going to say AutoCAD, or a specific CAD program/plugin for their field.

Here's a list of stuff that CAD jobs ask for:

• A minimum of 5 years’ experience in AutoCAD
  • A minimum of 3 years’ experience in Revit MEP

Proficient in Solid Edge or similar CAD software such as Solid Works.

In-depth knowledge of AutoCAD

Provide design experience, from conceptual thru detailed engineering, related to civil infrastructure and land development projects design associated with medium to large projects using AutoCAD and/or Civil 3D

Skilled application of Computer Aided Design (CAD) using AutoCAD

Generate 2D drawings and 3D models of industrial equipment and plant layouts using AutoCAD tools (ACAD 3D, Revit, Navisworks etc.)

Create and manage 3D models and data using Civil 3D;

• Knowledge of Autodesk Navisworks.
  • Good Knowledge of ACAD External References.

And so on. The only job that didn't explicitly mention AutoCAD was the one that mentioned Solidworks. And all of them mention Microsoft Office.

2 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Post a link to the job, or copy paste the contents.

CAD is only Engineering and Design. What do you think the D in CAD stands for. "Drafting"

Every CAD job you will look up on linked in is going to say AutoCAD, or a specific CAD program/plugin for their field.

Here's a list of stuff that CAD jobs ask for:

And so on. The only job that didn't explicitly mention AutoCAD was the one that mentioned Solidworks.

What makes you think CAD on these listing refers to AutoCAD. You do know there are lots of CAD softwares out there? Many of which are commercial and industry grade CAD and which works on Linux?

2nd, I'm still confused by what you meant by Google. They do not own the Linux kernel. What is server engineering btw? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

What makes you think CAD refers to AutoCAD. You do know there are lots of CAD softwares out there? Many of which are commercial and industry grade CAD and which works on Linux?

2nd, I'm still confused by what you meant by Google. They do not own the Linux kernel. What is server engineering btw? 

Just look up CAD in dictionary.com , you are capable of doing that yourself. You also again missed the point, the jobs are asking explicitly for AUTOCAD, not "CAD". When a job doesn't mention the software they will be using, that almost always means some in-house proprietary product. So "experience with CAD" is the same as "understands the fundamentals of CAD software". Where as when you're asked to use Civl3D or Revit, there is no other option. Those tools integrate with Autodesk software and Revit in particular is how many people work on the same project. So you can not use another product, period. Look for a new job if you're not willing to use what the company already pays for.

The reason I mention GOOGLE, is because GOOGLE eats their own dogfood, which means that they have their staff use Linux Desktops. They are the only company that does that, and the consequences of that can be seen by their often questionable choices of Linux distributions. In fact, that's one exact reason how you can find jobs that are doing cloud services, but the HR people hasn't a clue what they're doing, because they will namedrop Ubuntu in the strangest of places.

image.png.53b56d0872ca88c37c8af457af0c9ccc.png

For those who don't see the problem. Ubuntu is the Linux OS flavor, not a scripting language. If you explicitly look for Ubuntu you will get only System Administrator jobs, and system administrator jobs are typically done with remote access tools, so the choice of desktop OS is not even relevant.

20 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Just look up CAD in dictionary.com , you are capable of doing that yourself. You also again missed the point, the jobs are asking explicitly for AUTOCAD, not "CAD". 

Lol. Nope. 

https://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=Cad&l=

Of all the listing, I see the word CAD but few the word auto in front of it

And so far, I still have not yet seen any listing that REQUIRES you to have windows or macOS knowledge or usage of macOS or windows as oppose to Linux/Unix which is either required or perferred. 

The reason I mention GOOGLE, is because GOOGLE eats their own dogfood, which means that they have their staff use Linux Desktops. 

Lol, no they don't. 

In fact, that's one exact reason how you can find jobs that are doing cloud services, but the HR people hasn't a clue what they're doing, because they will namedrop Ubuntu in the strangest of places.

All cloud providers will have Linux flavors for their VMs. What's your point? You do not run webservers on windows or macOS. 

Sudo make me a sandwich