Google Android devices fool most users in Brazil

Princess Luna

Even without daylight saving time, thousands of Android-based devices have advanced an hour this past weekend.

Daylight Saving Time in Brazil was supposed to have occurred between Saturday (19) and Sunday (20), but was canceled by Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro months ago.

image.png.5ed744e6d12f12f8dc097af10c73a305.png

While Apple and Microsoft OS were unaffected, thousands of Google Android users complains about their clocks advancing an hour despite the Daylight Saving Time in Brazil being cancelled months prior.

Below are translated parts of Brazilian source:

The problem was already foreseen. Last Friday, Google had posted an official announcement on its blog recommending Android users in all of Brazil to change their automatic date and time settings. Google also warned that the problem could happen again on November 3, when DST began in 2018.

Google also issued a note explaining the impact of the government measure on the IANA Global Database (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) used by smartphones and electronic devices to always ensure the right time.

"In practice, this means that some phones may not have the necessary information to prevent the handset clock from automatically changing as if daylight saving time is still running," -Google explained.

In one day, Google counted over 20,000 searches with the term "right time Brasilia" (Brazilian capital). On Twitter, confusion was one of the most talked about topics this Sunday morning. In a casual tone, some cell phone owners whose watches have advanced have linked the fact with opposition to the Bolsonaro government.

-

Now this is a funny one, Google seems to have messed up a little in here, what was supposed to be a convenience feature end up causing plenty of issues. Was Google lazy to adjust this? They had plenty of time to fix this situation but seems nothing was made about it until the backlash after it happened from all those people who woke up an hour earlier than needed when their phone alarm set off.

Leave your comments on the matter!

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Waking up earlier is good for your health and being punctual at work, Google cares about everyone /s

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

wouldn't this be because of Android devices not getting timely updates?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

The exact same thing happened in Turkey, AFAIR it was mitigated when NTP server configurations got updated.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Google (or any individual company) isn’t responsible for finding any/all timezone changes and implementing them - that is the job of the IANA - the same group in charge of all the public IP addresses. Google and other companies are responsible for implementing any tz (the official name of the IANA timezone database) updates. 

tz release 2019b, which includes the Brazil change, was released July 2nd 2019: http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz-announce/2019-July/000056.html

The problem Google faces, compared to Apple or Microsoft, is that when they put the updated tz database into an Android update, the manufacturers and cell carriers have to follow suit and push that update out. Google doesn’t have any other way to update this, since the tz database is a system file with the related security protections.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

I had the same happen to me on Saturday morning, and I live in Australia.

19 minutes ago, ouroesa said:

I had the same happen to me on Saturday morning, and I live in Australia.

Make sure your phone is set to use a time zone relating to your actual area (usually the nearest large city, or the name of the country/region) and not to something else that normally (for non-DST) has the same time offset from UTC. If it is set to some other area (just for an example, if someone is Africa was set to use a timezone from Europe) then the rules for DST would almost assuredly be wrong.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 hours ago, brwainer said:

Make sure your phone is set to use a time zone relating to your actual area (usually the nearest large city, or the name of the country/region) and not to something else that normally (for non-DST) has the same time offset from UTC. If it is set to some other area (just for an example, if someone is Africa was set to use a timezone from Europe) then the rules for DST would almost assuredly be wrong.

It is set to automatic time zone. I just noticed it on Saturday morning and by noon, it reverted to the correct time. 

13 hours ago, brwainer said:

Google doesn’t have any other way to update this, since the tz database is a system file with the related security protections.

actual google play services can push updates to the device without waiting for the carriers, this is why things like google settings and find my phone is available in almost all versions of android.

https://www.howtogeek.com/179638/not-getting-android-os-updates-heres-how-google-is-updating-your-device-anyway/

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

5 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

actual google play services can push updates to the device without waiting for the carriers, this is why things like google settings and find my phone is available in almost all versions of android.

https://www.howtogeek.com/179638/not-getting-android-os-updates-heres-how-google-is-updating-your-device-anyway/

if you are using google's clock you downloaded from the play store maybe but otherwise this would probably require a change to the operating system

Mine didnt have any time changes, unlike the computers in my workplace. Meh, I just was happy to see it was close to lunch time, just to be sad within seconds when I noticed the clock was just wrong.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

This is why I will never touch an Android device, the updates are too slow or non-existent. Even on Android One and Google devices you only get 3-4 years of updates, compared to the 8 year old iPhone 4S that got one back in July of this year.

Edited by SeriousDad69
quote guy

On 10/23/2019 at 2:43 AM, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

"Always one step ahead". Or one step back. Depends on perspective.

Time is relative, after all.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition