What are y'all upgrading this holiday season?

dizmo

Christmas used to be hard to create gift lists, because we always just bought what we want, but this year i will be upgrading my 3d printer setup, adding a 3d DLP printer and an extra Prusa Mk3S..

Need a couple of ironwolf drives, hope i can buy them black friday and make my wife give them to me at christmas.

1 hour ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

I'm gonna be getting a Switch this week (!) and I just got my new TV and soundbar (Samsung Q60R) and also maybe Ryzen 3700

Oooooooooo Switches are hella nice. I have a pre-battery refresh one, still a damn solid console. What games are you planning on getting? I'd say BOTW is a must, I don't play most of the others though lol. 

7 minutes ago, RasmusDC said:

Christmas used to be hard to create gift lists, because we always just bought what we want, but this year i will be upgrading my 3d printer setup, adding a 3d DLP printer and an extra Prusa Mk3S..

Oooooo nice, I need to look into 3D printers sometime too ? 

12 minutes ago, RasmusDC said:

Need a couple of ironwolf drives, hope i can buy them black friday and make my wife give them to me at christmas.

That's the real 300IQ play ?

"oh wow exactly what I wanted how did you know?"

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

14 hours ago, Drak3 said:

As far as I can find, she's been in Idaho since she rolled off the lot in '07.5. What minor rust there is is just surface rust.

Though my dad has a deleted '09 from Snow Mexico that we're slowly working to restore.

...Yes.

We've talked about it dozens of times.

Nice. Is it a diesel? Do they respond well to chip upgrades? ...I can never leave anything stock.

I had to look it up...I thought New Mexico was too far south to get enough snow to warrant rust! Though, it's more so how the counties deal with it I suppose. Salt is horrid.

Deleted? What's that mean?

Haha, yeah, it rings a bell now.

14 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Might make a push for Zen 2...

I'm leaving my current Ryzen system with my cousins, it'll serve as a Windows gaming PC in their predominantly Mac household. Should be a really nice upgrade from their current i5-750 and mid-range Radeon HD card for them.

That'll be an amazing upgrade ? Though admittedly I've never used an Intel system from that era, so I'm not sure how they perform.

14 hours ago, Schnoz said:

I wish I could get a fancy Zen 2 chip and board, but...

Save those pennies ;) I might have my CPU/motherboard for my new build tomorrow. We'll see how things go.

14 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

This is seeming like a more and more common misconception. Yes, you are correct most desktop variants don't.

However, you can still run ECC memory on a motherboard/CPU that doesn't support it. The ECC feature will be disabled though.

Where you need to be careful is weather you're dealing with Unbuffered or Registered memory (RDIMM vs UDIMM). You can run Unbuffered ECC (UDIMM) in your desktop. The system will POST and run just fine. You cannot run Registered ECC (RDIMM) on your desktop. RDIMM requires support from the system in order to use the module without it it won't POST.

So that's where you'd run into trouble. Your desktop doesn't work with Registered memory. ECC is irrelevant.

Oh really? Interesting. I figured since it says the CPU doesn't support it, it'd be a no go.

14 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

Lets see, this year I've upgraded:
My phone: iPhone 7 Plus to iPhone Xs Max

My PC: Ryzen 5 1500X and RX 480 (that died) to Ryzen 7 2700 and RX 590 (along with better motherboard and faster ram)

My tablet: first gen iPad Air to 6th gen iPad with Apple Pencil

My vehicle: 2003 Dodge Dakota (with 3" lift and a 4.7L V8) to a 2019 Jeep Renegade Latitude

Smartwatch: no smartwatch to a Fitbit Versa Lite 

All that's left for me personally, is my TV.  I've been looking for a good deal on a 4K TV, and I'm hoping to find one around black friday or cyber monday. 

The TV I want has to be at least 50", and it has to be 4K.  I've been looking at TCL, Toshiba, Vizio.  I'm not looking to break the bank with a 4K TV, would just like one to have one.  My current TV, while it still works, is getting very old.  It's at least 10 years old, and it's 1080p 50" 

I've often considered a smart watch, but I think the only one I'd get is an Apple watch...but since I don't want an Apple phone, it's a no go.

We'll see though. If there's a decent ebay app (just need it to notify me on auctions ending) then I might pick one up.

TCL and/or Vizio were involved in sending data back to China, so if you intend to connect it in any way (and care), might be something to look into.

14 hours ago, Tilaron said:

It'd be 3 for my 360 rad, and 2 for the GPU cooler rad, but potentially just 2 as I'm tempted to buy the LTT NH D15 :o

Ahhh ok that makes sense.

Do it! I love air coolers. So much more than AIOs...though I've never owned one...so I shouldn't be so biased ?

I might try one out for my next build.

13 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m looking hard at a new GPU.  
whole new rig to follow it, but for now GPU.

The problem though is I don’t know what’s in navi21, and I can’t buy anything till I know.  The new game consoles are going to be navi21.  IF some sort of leak comes out about navi21 that assures me I’ll be able to use a 5700xt and play reasonably well with it I’ll buy one.  Been watching the pricing on em since they came out “noise will fall and prices will go down when the partner cards come out!”  Yeah, that hasn’t happened.  I’ll probably still buy one though if I think it will still work for modern games 6 months later.  The problem is though right now I don’t know if it will or not.  Sony is claiming 8gig vram and unknown ray trace system.  Xbox is claiming 12gb vram and an unknown raytrace system (I think it’s more likely to be 8gb).  There’s also “ultra fast storage” but that bit isn’t worrying me so much.  I can raid 0 a pair of nvme SSDs if I have to.  The rugged bit is the hardware ray tracing.  Will it be worked into the games to such an extent that you HAVE to have it to run on PC?  If so will it be emulatable?  What will the processing hit be?  Will a 5700xt have enough headroom to even DO it?  ‘Cause if it can’t it’s junk.  The 5700xt is a hard bit better than my current 970, but if it can’t make the jump I might as well have not bought it.

If you're waiting until next year, you might as well wait to see what Intel launches as well. The 5700XT will work well regardless of what comes out later, so I'm not sure why you use that as a baseline? There's absolutely no need to RAID0 NVME drives, there isn't even really a need for NVME when it comes to gaming ?

13 hours ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

I don't go flagship... ever... My rule is that it has to be around the £200 range no contract... straight pruchase and I've been picking mine up via Amazon warehouse deals the last few times.

My criteria are it has to be good, virtually no bloatware... close to vanilla android as possible.

My last 3 phones have been a Moto G2 then the Wileyfox Storm (excellent phone, only replaced due to battery bloating 1 week before going on holiday) and my current Moto G5S+

The G5S+ is a solid phone, it was around £260 rrp here but I paid £186 from AWD, it was in mint condition hadn't been used but the box was open. I did consider getting a Moto G7 variant... but I hate the notch with a passion reserved for truly evil things.  :)

So I'll see what the G8 brings and maybe get one of those.

I've tried midrange phones and they're ok, but they definitely lack some niceties compared to their more expensive brethren. I have a cheaper Motorola as a backup phone, and while it does basics nicely, even the materials used are a little meh. Like the oleophobic coating is noticeably worse than my S8. I'm 99% sold on trying out the OnePlus 7, unless the S10 goes on an insane Black Friday deal through my carrier.

13 hours ago, 1984_C10 said:

Kinda wanna pick up a HAF XB Evo.

maxresdefault.jpg.af8e3088174200c2405df1dc2b3c56f2.jpg

Those things are huge. Like a milk crate. What makes you want that?

9 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Not too hard to find I think? I got mine for a great deal, X99 Classified from EVGA B-stock on sale for $99. I have an EVGA Micro2 I got for $50 with “bent pins” but the pins were hardly touched and it’s worked without a single issue straight out of the box. Planning to trade that and some other stuff to @Damascus for an ASUS WS/IPMI board and monoblock, right now it’s on easy street with a super low power Xeon (10c/20t at 1.7Ghz, no turbo, sits at like .8v on the core under load) in my folding rig. 

My current 5820K is slightly ahead of an R5 2600 I think (I run it at 4.6Ghz daily), the 5960X will probably beat a 2700X quite easily if I get it to around 4.5-4.6. Hoping I’ll get that or maybe more, a lot of guys pushed j-bins to 4.5 at only 1.1-1.19v or so, and I know some people have ran them at 5Ghz daily on water. Madlads on LN2 got them up to 5.6-5.8 at around 1.5v. All depends on the silicon lottery, but on average the j-bins OC much better than any others. 

Would also be interesting to see how it compares to a Ryzen in RAM bandwidth intensive titles, GTA V is one and IIRC the Fallout series is too. X99 has the additional advantage of quad channel DDR4 support vs dual on Ryzen. 

Wow that's an excellent deal for that motherboard. So it's not like X79 yet? Those boards are nigh impossible to find, at least for anything worth paying.

Hmm. I wonder if I can find a decent deal on those instead of a 2600x...I do generally prefer Intel.

Way to derail my plans ?

8 hours ago, Boyohan said:

I am considering upgrading my CPU to a 9900k and buying another 16gb of ram.

While my 8600k still performs well I get the feeling that 6c/6t will not be enough in the near future. If I was doing a completely new build I would probably look at 3700x/3900x but then I would also need to change mobo so the cheapest upgrade for me today is a 9900k.

My GTX 1080 is still decent and to get any significant performance increase I would need to get 2080S or 2080ti and that is to much for me atm. 

Do you do a lot of video editing?

If you want to sell that 8600k off cheap... ;)

Yeah, I don't think I'd get first gen ray tracing anyway, plus with Intel joining the fray next year I think that'll be a really interesting time to purchase a new GPU.

3 hours ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

Looking for an affordable powerful 12" laptop for less than $400, not a 2in1 hybrid laptop. It's to replace my old bulky 16" laptop in the end of this year. Could someone suggest me some?

Why such a small screen? These days 13.3 or even 14 inch models fit into the form factor of what used to be 12 inch machines.

3 hours ago, yaboistar said:

i'm upgrading myself to a pre-diabetic condition through excessive consumption of holiday foods

You and me both buddy, you and me both. Though I'm pretty sure I'm already there ?

It's weird to not even really want sugary things anymore. You go body.

2 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

Nothing until I can afford new golf clubs. Driver and putter are safe, wedges maybe but irons, hybrids and woods have to go!

Haha, I've only been to the driving range a few times, but I suck.

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

iOS13

seriously though, I'm rethinking my PC upgrade. might have a chance that I have to spec down ,_,

still deciding between X299 and TRX40. still the same single criteria (mATX)

Haha, do you actually need HEDT? Or do you just like to...know it's there.

1 hour ago, SocksAndSandals-Kirst said:

I'll upgrade my 4 year old ASUS Zenfone 2 for an ASUS Zenfone 5, and yes, I know the Zenfone 6 is around the corner, but for my use I really don't need the best of the best. Honestly I'm only upgrading because 16GB of internal storage is simply not cutting it anymore (the one I'll pick up is the 128GB model) and because after my motorcycle accident the screen is a bit funky with random ghost touches in the middle section of the screen.

The Zenfone 6 has been out for almost a year now ;) The Zenfone 7 rapidly approaches.

I don't mind Asus phones, but they're...lackluster if you don't get the top model. My Zenfone 3 Zoom was a nice phone, but the memory failed on me, and the aluminum was so thin and soft that it bent and split apart where the buttons are. Overall not impressed with the build quality. Their OS updates were impressive though.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Im potentially upgrading from 12 GB to 16 GB since im running out of RAM playing GTA V 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Wow that's an excellent deal for that motherboard. So it's not like X79 yet? Those boards are nigh impossible to find, at least for anything worth paying.

Hmm. I wonder if I can find a decent deal on those instead of a 2600x...I do generally prefer Intel.

Way to derail my plans ?

You definetely can pull a more satisfying GHz number out of the Haswell-E chips. And yeah I'd say X99 boards are actually easier to find than X79 ones, though people still want too much money for them. X79 and X58 higher end boards at least have the excuse of being reasonably rare?

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I've often considered a smart watch, but I think the only one I'd get is an Apple watch...but since I don't want an Apple phone, it's a no go.

We'll see though. If there's a decent ebay app (just need it to notify me on auctions ending) then I might pick one up.

TCL and/or Vizio were involved in sending data back to China, so if you intend to connect it in any way (and care), might be something to look into.

I used to own an Apple Watch.  Granted it was series 1 and wasn't that great.  I do like the Series 5 but I wasn't willing to drop the money on just a watch in the end.  (yes I love the notifications, the sleep tracking, and the step counting, but in the end, my first purpose with it is to tell time).  So in this sense, the Fitbit is perfect for me.  (though I do like how the Versa 2 has an AMOLED screen also)

As for it being a smart TV, with my Xbox 360, Wii U, PS3, PS4, Switch, I don't think I'd even use the smart TV functions tbh.  But thank you for the warning. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Oh really? Interesting. I figured since it says the CPU doesn't support it, it'd be a no go.

Nah, not supporting ECC is like buying RAM that natively runs at a clock the CPU/motherboard doesn't support. You can still use it just not at it's rated speed.

Probably going to get a phanteks p350x 'cause I'm still using a dell pre-built case from 10 years ago.

I still can't decide on whether to get a new ssd (still using a 1tb hdd), A new laptop for light gaming, or 16 gigs of Trident Z ram.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Mesh front and top, dual 5.25" bays (which i'm in dire need of atm) and dual front hot swap bays.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

43 minutes ago, dizmo said:

That'll be an amazing upgrade ? Though admittedly I've never used an Intel system from that era, so I'm not sure how they perform.

Not super good these days, LGA 1156 is pretty old and it didn't age quite as well as LGA 1155 did.

They don't do a ton of high end gaming, but a Ryzen 5 1600 and GTX 780 should last them a few more years at least.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Hopefully a 3950X and TR3.

Only upgrade I'm gonna do is hopefully find the time to finish my G5 casemod.

I'm pretty sure my purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.

51 minutes ago, dizmo said:

.I thought New Mexico was too far south to get enough snow to warrant rust!

Not New Mexico. Snow Mexico, AKA Canada.

52 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Is it a diesel? Do they respond well to chip upgrades? ...I can never leave anything stock.

Both are 6.7 Cummins Diesels. Great engines for many mods. Especially if you're converting a gasser or if you made the mistake of buying a 6.x Powerstroke or anything with a Duramax.

54 minutes ago, dizmo said:

In the context of Diesels, it means that parts of the emission system have been removed. Not only is that illegal in many states and counties, but it requires a great deal of knowledge to do right. Knowledge your standard "car enthusiast" lacks.

Done right, one can increase power and reliability of the engine. But the only people that do it right, never take them on the road; they're doing race truck builds of retrofitting the trucks for farming. Otherwise, you're losing power, mileage, and potentially damaging the engine.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Oooooooooo Switches are hella nice. I have a pre-battery refresh one, still a damn solid console. What games are you planning on getting? I'd say BOTW is a must, I don't play most of the others though lol. 

Oooooo nice, I need to look into 3D printers sometime too ? 

That's the real 300IQ play ?

"oh wow exactly what I wanted how did you know?"

Getting BoTW because... obviously and Smash Ultimate because smash and then Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for a party game

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 minute ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Getting BoTW because... obviously and Smash Ultimate because smash and then Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for a party game

So far (physical copies, I have some stuff digital) I have:

• BOTW - Get it because if you don't, why do you even have a Switch? It's a damned good game. 
  • Smash Ultimate - I don't play it much at all, can't remember all the buttons but my siblings love it 
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - excellent, excellent, excellent. Always loved Mario Kart as a kid, 8 is stellar and I can actually compete with my siblings in it ? (baby Luigi ftw btw)
  • Mario Odyssey - it was on sale, I haven't played too much of it. It's a very good game from my short time playing it and the plenty of reviews, but I just prefer BOTW
  • Lego Worlds - was cheap and looked interesting lol
  • Minecraft - mostly for my siblings, runs quite well though

You'll likely enjoy the heck out of the games you're getting?

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

So far (physical copies, I have some stuff digital) I have:

• BOTW - Get it because if you don't, why do you even have a Switch? It's a damned good game. 
  • Smash Ultimate - I don't play it much at all, can't remember all the buttons but my siblings love it 
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - excellent, excellent, excellent. Always loved Mario Kart as a kid, 8 is stellar and I can actually compete with my siblings in it ? (baby Luigi ftw btw)
  • Mario Odyssey - it was on sale, I haven't played too much of it. It's a very good game from my short time playing it and the plenty of reviews, but I just prefer BOTW
  • Lego Worlds - was cheap and looked interesting lol
  • Minecraft - mostly for my siblings, runs quite well though

You'll likely enjoy the heck out of the games you're getting?

Cool. My brother might get Odyssey as well (console communism lol)

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

8 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Cool. My brother might get Odyssey as well (console communism lol)

Noice! Also lmao, my brain first thought of Assassin's Creed Odyssey... that running on the poor little Switch would be ?

Main PC 

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

Nice. Is it a diesel? Do they respond well to chip upgrades? ...I can never leave anything stock.

I had to look it up...I thought New Mexico was too far south to get enough snow to warrant rust! Though, it's more so how the counties deal with it I suppose. Salt is horrid.

Haha, yeah, it rings a bell now.

Save those pennies ;) I might have my CPU/motherboard for my new build tomorrow. We'll see how things go.

Ahhh ok that makes sense.

Do it! I love air coolers. So much more than AIOs...though I've never owned one...so I shouldn't be so biased ?

I might try one out for my next build.

If you're waiting until next year, you might as well wait to see what Intel launches as well. The 5700XT will work well regardless of what comes out later, so I'm not sure why you use that as a baseline? There's absolutely no need to RAID0 NVME drives, there isn't even really a need for NVME when it comes to gaming ?

I've tried midrange phones and they're ok, but they definitely lack some niceties compared to their more expensive brethren. I have a cheaper Motorola as a backup phone, and while it does basics nicely, even the materials used are a little meh. Like the oleophobic coating is noticeably worse than my S8. I'm 99% sold on trying out the OnePlus 7, unless the S10 goes on an insane Black Friday deal through my carrier.

Way to derail my plans ?

Do you do a lot of video editing?

If you want to sell that 8600k off cheap... ;)

Yeah, I don't think I'd get first gen ray tracing anyway, plus with Intel joining the fray next year I think that'll be a really interesting time to purchase a new GPU.

Why such a small screen? These days 13.3 or even 14 inch models fit into the form factor of what used to be 12 inch machines.

You and me both buddy, you and me both. Though I'm pretty sure I'm already there ?

It's weird to not even really want sugary things anymore. You go body.

Haha, I've only been to the driving range a few times, but I suck.

Haha, do you actually need HEDT? Or do you just like to...know it's there.

The Zenfone 6 has been out for almost a year now ;) The Zenfone 7 rapidly approaches.

I don't mind Asus phones, but they're...lackluster if you don't get the top model. My Zenfone 3 Zoom was a nice phone, but the memory failed on me, and the aluminum was so thin and soft that it bent and split apart where the buttons are. Overall not impressed with the build quality. Their OS updates were impressive though.

Not right now anyway.  My problem is lack of information about the upcoming products.  I don’t know what can or cannot be accurately predicted.  The only thing I’m fairly sure of is that the console companies are overselling future advances.  That basically goes without saying.  They won’t be better than they’re claiming and could be a lot worse.  How much worse is unknown though.  Their storage improvement may merely be “we moved from mechanical drives to SATA SSD in which case I yawn.  If they have something even faster than nvme though it may allow them to use the HD effectively as RAM.  The equivalent of running everything out of swap.  That could kick a sata3 SSD right into the curb.  It would be easier to code too so if it can be done someone is likely to try it.

My current system seems to function for my needs thanks to the person who brought up the driver thing.  Thanks again btw.  I’m likely to be good at least till the new consoles come out as long as nothing dies on me.

I’m using the 5700xt as a baseline because someone mentioned at one point that navi21 would have “about the same power as a 5700” which can mean many things.  The 5700xt is faster than the 5700, but not by much.  I read somewhere once that a “noticeable speed difference” (I.e you don’t need a frame counter to detect it) was about a 50% speed difference.  This was a while ago and seems to have diminished at least somewhat as total speeds have increased.  More unknowns for me though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, Bacon soup said:

I'm upgrading my wife's boyfriend 

I'm not sure how to take that...

Either she's cheating on you, and you know...

Or you're getting her new sex toy o.O

4 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

You definetely can pull a more satisfying GHz number out of the Haswell-E chips. And yeah I'd say X99 boards are actually easier to find than X79 ones, though people still want too much money for them. X79 and X58 higher end boards at least have the excuse of being reasonably rare?

If I don't end up grabbing what I hope to be grabbing tomorrow, I'll definitely check that out.

4 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

I used to own an Apple Watch.  Granted it was series 1 and wasn't that great.  I do like the Series 5 but I wasn't willing to drop the money on just a watch in the end.  (yes I love the notifications, the sleep tracking, and the step counting, but in the end, my first purpose with it is to tell time).  So in this sense, the Fitbit is perfect for me.  (though I do like how the Versa 2 has an AMOLED screen also)

As for it being a smart TV, with my Xbox 360, Wii U, PS3, PS4, Switch, I don't think I'd even use the smart TV functions tbh.  But thank you for the warning. 

Haha, yeah I agree. Some of them top $1,500 Canadian....which is absolutely ridiculous for something with a finite life span. Realistically in 2 years the next greatest thing will be out and your watch will be "trash". Buy a $1,500 mechanical watch? It'll last you the rest of your life, and probably the next 3 people that own it.

4 hours ago, TrainFan2019 said:

Probably going to get a phanteks p350x 'cause I'm still using a dell pre-built case from 10 years ago.

I still can't decide on whether to get a new ssd (still using a 1tb hdd), A new laptop for light gaming, or 16 gigs of Trident Z ram.

I actually quite like that case, I'll probably end up getting something similar for my next build. That or an S340 Elite, something like that.

4 hours ago, 1984_C10 said:

Mesh front and top, dual 5.25" bays (which i'm in dire need of atm) and dual front hot swap bays.

You must be one of the very few ;)

4 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Not super good these days, LGA 1156 is pretty old and it didn't age quite as well as LGA 1155 did.

They don't do a ton of high end gaming, but a Ryzen 5 1600 and GTX 780 should last them a few more years at least.

Especially if they like to play Fortnite and such

4 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

Hopefully a 3950X and TR3.

Might as well complete the collection ?

I wonder if you own the most 2080 Tis on the forum...

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Not New Mexico. Snow Mexico, AKA Canada.

Both are 6.7 Cummins Diesels. Great engines for many mods. Especially if you're converting a gasser or if you made the mistake of buying a 6.x Powerstroke or anything with a Duramax.

In the context of Diesels, it means that parts of the emission system have been removed. Not only is that illegal in many states and counties, but it requires a great deal of knowledge to do right. Knowledge your standard "car enthusiast" lacks.

Done right, one can increase power and reliability of the engine. But the only people that do it right, never take them on the road; they're doing race truck builds of retrofitting the trucks for farming. Otherwise, you're losing power, mileage, and potentially damaging the engine.

Haha, oh, yeah that makes sense. Especially if it was a car from back East. I was considering bringing a car over from there, as they're considerably cheaper, and my dad (he used to do Provincial inspections) said only if I wanted to flush my money down the drain. He would constantly have 3 year old cars come through with so much frame rust taht they're refused road worthiness

Nice. Just don't put those stacks through the bed of the truck to make it look like a semi ?

Ah, gotcha. Looking at downpipes, I was torn between going catless or catted. Catless gives a better sound and slightly more flow, but you also get a...smell around the outside of the vehicle.

3 hours ago, Murasaki said:

Perhaps my microwave.

I haven't owned a microwave in...probably...10 years? I'm not even sure I miss it.

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not right now anyway.  My problem is lack of information about the upcoming products.  I don’t know what can or cannot be accurately predicted.  The only thing I’m fairly sure of is that the console companies are overselling future advances.  That basically goes without saying.  They won’t be better than they’re claiming and could be a lot worse.  How much worse is unknown though.  Their storage improvement may merely be “we moved from mechanical drives to SATA SSD in which case I yawn.  If they have something even faster than nvme though it may allow them to use the HD effectively as RAM.  The equivalent of running everything out of swap.  That could kick a sata3 SSD right into the curb.  It would be easier to code too so if it can be done someone is likely to try it.

My current system seems to function for my needs thanks to the person who brought up the driver thing.  Thanks again btw.  I’m likely to be good at least till the new consoles come out as long as nothing dies on me.

I’m using the 5700xt as a baseline because someone mentioned at one point that navi21 would have “about the same power as a 5700” which can mean many things.  The 5700xt is faster than the 5700, but not by much.  I read somewhere once that a “noticeable speed difference” (I.e you don’t need a frame counter to detect it) was about a 50% speed difference.  This was a while ago and seems to have diminished at least somewhat as total speeds have increased.  More unknowns for me though.

You know consoles generally target 30fps though, right? It's not like they're sitting on some super GPU that will eventually be released, crushing everything else. They also have the benefit of coding for one hardware set...much like how Apple phones run significantly better because the OS is basically mated to the hardware. You'll never get that with a PC. Why would a memory company choose to release something faster on a console? That simply doesn't make sense; it will not be something faster than NVME. Even if they do, it's not something that would be available on PC, so what's it matter?

I mean, I do wish AMD would finally come out with a flagship GPU, and they're rumored to soon, but I wouldn't hold my breath thinking it's anything super amazing.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Next paycheck i'm getting some winter tires. Currently in the process of ordering a full LED interior kit for the car also. I'm content with my computer and will be for a long time ahead, also cars are my hobby now.

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Just don't put those stacks through the bed of the truck to make it look like a semi 

While I wouldn't have them go through the bed, as that's just a waste of bed space, I have considered running smoke stacks just to keep from smelling diesel exhaust in the winter as I let my truck warm up while I poor my coffee. Diesel exhaust is one of the few things I can smell and I hate the smell of it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha, yeah I agree. Some of them top $1,500 Canadian....which is absolutely ridiculous for something with a finite life span. Realistically in 2 years the next greatest thing will be out and your watch will be "trash". Buy a $1,500 mechanical watch? It'll last you the rest of your life, and probably the next 3 people that own it..

Yeah, exactly. I figure I'll hold onto this smartwatch till Fitbit stops releasing updates.  But like, I just got an update just last week, so idk if it's stopping any time soon.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You must be one of the very few ;)

Indeed lol.

Some of my older and more important stuff is archived on blu ray discs, so every now and then i have to check them out.

I also rip CDs i buy to FLACs.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX