What are y'all upgrading this holiday season?

dizmo

My external drives. On late-november one of my drives became unreadable by macOS and Windows and, although it mounts on Linux, it's way too slow for it's standards, which leads me to believe that it's final hours are coming. Any tips on saving that data? Bonus: My other hard drive failed yesterday too, difference is that one was a mechanical failure so now I need recovery services. F for my data, my bank account and my lack of back-ups.

41 minutes ago, rice guru said:

just upgraded my old 1300x to a 3600x

I was considering upgrading my mediaserver and using my current gaming rig parts on that and buying new 3xxx and X570 for my gaming rig... But I might do a temp upgrade and simply convert my mediaserver over to windows 10 as Windows 7 it's currently on is EOL in Jan... and wait for Ryzen 4xxx series CPU's and X670 chipset... as that will most likely be the last release on the AM4 platform and we'll see AM4+ in 2021... Which is what AMD normally do with their platforms.

Doesn't really make sense to buy 3xxx now they've announced Zen3 4xxx series in early 2020 and a jump from 2xxx to 3xxx isn't a big enough upgrade to make economical sense... it was purely about upgrading the mediaserver because windows 7 is end of life and that system is getting really old... It doesn't 'need' to be all latest and greatest. So when I go Zen 3 4xxx series... that's a 2gen jump rather than one.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:39 AM, Anomnomnomaly said:

I was considering upgrading my mediaserver and using my current gaming rig parts on that and buying new 3xxx and X570 for my gaming rig... But I might do a temp upgrade and simply convert my mediaserver over to windows 10 as Windows 7 it's currently on is EOL in Jan... and wait for Ryzen 4xxx series CPU's and X670 chipset... as that will most likely be the last release on the AM4 platform and we'll see AM4+ in 2021... Which is what AMD normally do with their platforms.

Doesn't really make sense to buy 3xxx now they've announced Zen3 4xxx series in early 2020 and a jump from 2xxx to 3xxx isn't a big enough upgrade to make economical sense... it was purely about upgrading the mediaserver because windows 7 is end of life and that system is getting really old... It doesn't 'need' to be all latest and greatest. So when I go Zen 3 4xxx series... that's a 2gen jump rather than one.

I got them for $230 cad from black Friday sales and the 1300x wasnt cutting it anymore so wanted the upgrade sooner rather than later because the next thing will always be around the corner

steam library + rainbow six siege, gonna buy it, hopefully it's good and I don't quit like I did when I bought csgo

I posted earlier in the thread about wanting to upgrade my GPU. Just ordered a 2070 Super!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D | Cooler: NZXT Kraken 360 2023 Edition | Motherboard: Asus X670-P Wi-Fi |  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MT/s

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon 7800XT | PSU: NZXT C1000 | Storage: Corsair MP600 Core XT 2TB | Case: NZXT H7 Flow

CPU-Z Validation

After installing my dishwasher that my sister gave me... I decided I needed a lot of new dinnerware and cutlery that was both dishwasher safe and because I last bought new dinnerware 10yrs ago and have broken a load of it... so now I no longer have enough to even fill a 12 place setting dishwasher.

So I grabbed 6 new white porcelain side plates, 6 new white porcelain large pasta bowls, 6 white porcelain egg cups that can also double for dips, 6 tall cone glasses and 6 matching tumblers... and 6 large glass coffee cups... I wanted 6 more of the half round cappuccino cups because I had 2 already... but the buggers had stopped selling them and nothing else was big enough in plain white. They had the exact same cups but in a cream with blue pattern...  and I'm a firm believer that dinner are should always be plain white... you can accent your kitchen/dinning areas with colours and accessories... but if you buy coloured/patterned plates... if you change the colours in a room... you need all new dinnerware.

I then grabbed some quirky, cutlery... 2 sets, so 12 of everything and some serving dishes and a couple of new stainless steel roasting pans.

Total cost... £93.50 from Ikea...  So the free £300 dishwasher has cost me around £180 to install which includes a new base unit for the kitchen, all of the plumbing parts and all of the new dinnerware/cutlery.

Now I really want a new kitchen to go with it all... Fuck I'm old... Hankering after a new kitchen instead of a sports car and a kick ass gaming PC.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

I just ordered 16 gigs of Trident Z beauty.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

On 12/10/2019 at 12:34 AM, Froody129 said:

My area had disappointing black Friday deals

yeah i noticed that too, but its not worth the frustration of having to deal with stupid people blocking the aisle at BestBuy, or dealing with the lineups at the cashier. i just buy stuff when i need them, or if i know i will be needing it in the future near time, i will start looking online, or pop into stores randomly, but online all the time now. cant deal with the stupid customers and stupid drivers, its unbearable.

for instance, when shopping at costco, stock up on Charmin TP and Bounty paper towel, because the costco i go to is empty if you hit it at the right time, because its in a small town about 40 minute drive away. if i were to go to the costco in my own city, the lineups are crazy stupid. costco has some electronic gadgetry, i bought a ssd from there last time i went, probably buy a camera from there too. i dont mind paying a little extra knowing for a fact the store is empty and i can hit a cashier with no lineups, i would actually pay cash for that ability, like i'd pay cash to hear fluent english when it comes to transit drivers.

SSD WD Black is a nice attribute to my current system, but i have never tried NVME yet/m.2.