audio setup help

Go to solution Solved by circeseye,
3 hours ago, outwar6 said:

I've never done anything like that and chance you could give me the specific steps? Also will there be any downsides to running dual monitor like that? Like reduced gaming performance?

just connect to receiver...in nvidea control panel (im assuming display, im amd) there should be a place to enable what display you want as primary
now the rest i did in windows..right click, display settings.......scroll down to  multiple displays and set it duplicate these displays...done

now right click the speaker icon click open sound settings..choose the av receiver...done
if its 5.1 make sure you right click the speaker icon again and set speaker setup to 5.1

and as for reduced performance...no i havent seen any (im on a rx590) 

oh not sure if it matters or not but you can run a lower res on the receiver ( my main is at 4k but my receiver res is set as 1280x720)

I'm just soooo done with creative after years of issues with the soundblaster z card ad now I've lost audio encoders due to their crappy drivers. I have a 1080ti going to a freesync monitor via dp. I'm wondering if it's possible to send a hdmi from my gpu to my receiver(the receivers kinda old but works and has hdmi 1.3a) to get my sound working right?

1 hour ago, outwar6 said:

I'm just soooo done with creative after years of issues with the soundblaster z card ad now I've lost audio encoders due to their crappy drivers. I have a 1080ti going to a freesync monitor via dp. I'm wondering if it's possible to send a hdmi from my gpu to my receiver(the receivers kinda old but works and has hdmi 1.3a) to get my sound working right?

yes..you'll have to run dual monitor is all and make sure you set your monitor as primary...oh and set as duplicate display..then you wont accidently lose your mouse lol
then in audio settings make your receiver a primary

I've never done anything like that and chance you could give me the specific steps? Also will there be any downsides to running dual monitor like that? Like reduced gaming performance?

just connect to receiver...in nvidea control panel (im assuming display, im amd) there should be a place to enable what display you want as primary
now the rest i did in windows..right click, display settings.......scroll down to  multiple displays and set it duplicate these displays...done

now right click the speaker icon click open sound settings..choose the av receiver...done
if its 5.1 make sure you right click the speaker icon again and set speaker setup to 5.1

oh not sure if it matters or not but you can run a lower res on the receiver ( my main is at 4k but my receiver res is set as 1280x720)

20 hours ago, circeseye said:

I've run into an issue. When I try to duplicate displays it drops my refresh rate to 59 instead of 75. I also cant have my 1440p at 1440p it drops to whatever I set the second one to.

11 minutes ago, outwar6 said:

I've run into an issue. When I try to duplicate displays it drops my refresh rate to 59 instead of 75. I also cant have my 1440p at 1440p it drops to whatever I set the second one to.

hmmmm you should be able to set each to what ever....unless theres something needed done with nvidea"s . (again im amd)
maybe just set the main monitor to what you want and dont do anything with receivers settings (you did set monitor as primary?)
right click, display settings.......select display ...scroll down to  under multiple displays...display adapter properties for display (which ever is selected) ...monitor ...that will let you change refresh rate.

I set it as primary. All I changed in the av receivers setting was to change to output from optical to hdmi. When I go to the display setting in windows it drops the res further.

I set it as primary. All I changed in the av receivers setting was to change to output from optical to hdmi. When I go to the display setting in windows it drops the res further.

theres has got to be something then with nvidia settings that i dont know about :( 
@anyone is anyone with nvidia that can jump in here....some setting isnt right and im not familiar with nvidia settings
edit..this is really weird. looking up doing this others have no issue doing what i told you....do you have vsync on? do yoy have gpu scaling on?

On 10/22/2019 at 12:28 AM, outwar6 said:

If the receiver has HDMI out and not just HDMI ARC you should just be able to connect the GPU to the receiver, then use the HDMI out on the receiver to your monitor, What receiver do you have?

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

The receiver is the onkyo tx-sr607

3 hours ago, Derkoli said:

If the receiver has HDMI out and not just HDMI ARC you should just be able to connect the GPU to the receiver, then use the HDMI out on the receiver to your monitor, What receiver do you have?

his receiver cant output the res and htz of his monitor its a old one up to 1080p out, hell only 1080i upscale only
just cant figure out what nvidia setting isnt allowing him to run each connection at different settings..right now the receiver is keeping him from using the res and htz of his monitor

I've disabled the scaler and still have the issue. I am getting sound with it set in extended display so think I'm just going to keep it like this. It is annoying accidentally gragging something in the extended region but I can play around with the size and where to put it etc.

I've disabled the scaler and still have the issue. I am getting sound with it set in extended display so think I'm just going to keep it like this. It is annoying accidentally gragging something in the extended region but I can play around with the size and where to put it etc.

drag it to the top right corner (corner to corner)

Thanks. I changed it to bottom right. Top right is where I whack program windows to split the screen.

• 2 months later...

This seems to be the best placement of the second screen.

optimum.png

its odd that it only supports 5.1 on optical or coaxial as hdmi supports uncompressed 5.1. Do you get proper codec support for dts hd-ma or atmos etc?

its odd that it only supports 5.1 on optical or coaxial as hdmi supports uncompressed 5.1. Do you get proper codec support for dts hd-ma or atmos etc?

That'll be a TOSLINK limitation most likely. Sorry that I didn't read anything about surround before posting. TOSLINK requires surround audio to be compressed into a codec, which gets tricky for small boxes.

Maybe a not-so cheap audio extractor with analog surround channels then, if it makes sense for your setup: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13348

11 hours ago, outwar6 said:

its a bandwidth issue.optical can only do max basic 5.1 dolby and dts. its why hdmi is the way to go for the better 5.1 and higher formats