How do I go about connecting hard drives to my server?

cadabri

Hey guys! I just recently picked up an R720 server from craigslist for 350 bucks to use as a NAS with Freenas. Everything seems to be great with it, dual e5-2640s, 32 gigs of ram, the works, however the one thing I am confused about is connecting the drives. As is, the server has 8 hot swap drives in the front which connect to an SAS backplane, then go directly into the motherboard, but the part that gets tricky, is there is also a raid controller that goes direcly into the motherboard as well. A friend of mine has said that it is absolutely imparitive to not use a raid controller as Freenas uses ZFS. My question is though, since the hard drives are not setup HDD>RAID>MB but HDD>MB RAID>MB should I not be able to just disable the raid controller in the BIOS and be fine?

11 minutes ago, cadabri said:

Hey guys! I just recently picked up an R720 server from craigslist for 350 bucks to use as a NAS with Freenas. Everything seems to be great with it, dual e5-2640s, 32 gigs of ram, the works, however the one thing I am confused about is connecting the drives. As is, the server has 8 hot swap drives in the front which connect to an SAS backplane, then go directly into the motherboard, but the part that gets tricky, is there is also a raid controller that goes direcly into the motherboard as well. A friend of mine has said that it is absolutely imparitive to not use a raid controller as Freenas uses ZFS. My question is though, since the hard drives are not setup HDD>RAID>MB but HDD>MB RAID>MB should I not be able to just disable the raid controller in the BIOS and be fine?

Just make sure the controller is in IT mode. I've got an LSI H220 in my freenas and it works flawlessly, which I bought off Ebay already flashed.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

Just now, milantheworse said:

just plug a sata in l.o.l

What do you mean? The hard drive goes into a backplane and from there goes out with a different cable that is not sata. 

Just now, ThatFlashCat said:

Just make sure the controller is in IT mode. I've got an LSI H220 in my freenas and it works flawlessly, which I bought off Ebay already flashed.

I'm not really sure how to do that with the controller, its not plugged into a pci-e port but just lays on the MOBO, however in the BIOS there is an option to turn it off. 

i am kinda drunk.. sorry uuhm tomarrow i give a awnser XD greatings from russia

3 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

https://imgur.com/a/3h7SjMj

In this photo you can see where the hard drive backplane plugs into the MOBO, and the raid controller right next to it

You will want an HBA (Host Bus Adapter) or a RAID card that has had it's firmware flashed to IT mode.

The reason is RAID cards interfere with the way the drives communicate with the OS. ZFS likes direct access to the drives to manage them and maintain data integrity. RAID controllers cause this communication to be broken. The system can still work with a RAID controller in place while using ZFS but you'll have lost the biggest features that make ZFS what it's known for.

ZFS doesn't care about using different controllers or chipsets. If the BIOS allows you to change the onboard controller from RAID to AHCI then that should be fine. These drives can be mixed with drives on other controllers like an HBA or an IT flashed RAID card.

9 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You will want an HBA (Host Bus Adapter) or a RAID card that has had it's firmware flashed to IT mode.

The reason is RAID cards interfere with the way the drives communicate with the OS. ZFS likes direct access to the drives to manage them and maintain data integrity. RAID controllers cause this communication to be broken. The system can still work with a RAID controller in place while using ZFS but you'll have lost the biggest features that make ZFS what it's known for.

ZFS doesn't care about using different controllers or chipsets. If the BIOS allows you to change the onboard controller from RAID to AHCI then that should be fine. These drives can be mixed with drives on other controllers like an HBA or an IT flashed RAID card.

Well like I was saying, the hard drives are plugged directly into the motherboard, however looking into the bios, it looks like I should be able to change it to AHCI. Is this effectively like having the HBA?

https://imgur.com/a/Ecq5wpX - Here are the settings I have access to

1 minute ago, cadabri said:

Well like I was saying, the hard drives are plugged directly into the motherboard, however looking into the bios, it looks like I should be able to change it to AHCI. Is this effectively like having the HBA?

https://imgur.com/a/Ecq5wpX - Here are the settings I have access to

That would likely be apart of the onboard chipset. Setting this to AHCI should suffice.

You can disable the RAID controller if you like. You probably won't be able to plug anything into it though if you do.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

That would likely be apart of the onboard chipset. Setting this to AHCI should suffice.

You can disable the RAID controller if you like. You probably won't be able to plug anything into it though if you do.

If you look at the image I sent to ThatFlashCat - https://imgur.com/a/3h7SjMj - there is nothing to plug into the raid controller. The raid controller goes directly into the MB, and that cable to the right of that board is where all the SAS drives are being plugged into the MB

6 minutes ago, cadabri said:

If you look at the image I sent to ThatFlashCat - https://imgur.com/a/3h7SjMj - there is nothing to plug into the raid controller. The raid controller goes directly into the MB, and that cable to the right of that board is where all the SAS drives are being plugged into the MB

I'm not a Dell server guru but it's popular for Dell to do things like this where a controller will slot in or connect to a socket and the ports for it are on the board itself. Without the card the ports just wont work.

You can look up the manual for your server which may provide you information on that or you can disconnect the RAID card and see if devices still show up on those ports. If not then they're for the RAID card.

Thats a PERC H310/H710 controller card. The ports on the motherboard communicate with that controller.

Older Dell Servers had a dedicated PCI-E slot for the integrated controller which would be a PCI-E card but would have firmware that dedicated it for the integrated raid slot. A standard RAID card doesn't work in the integrated RAID slot.  

They changed it in the Rx20 series from a PCI-E card to a plug in daughter board. Probably because of it taking an unnecessary amount of room, and for the problem above where people would try and swap the RAID card and wonder why it wouldn't work (Third Party aka. non integrated RAID cards, go in one of the standard PCI-E expansion slots). 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Since ZFS 'likes' to use direct drives, one workaround is to simple create 8 logical drives - one logical drive per physical hard drive. This way ZFS can still detect errors on disk due to checksum, etc.

It is one extra layer that you do not need with ZFS, but in the end, it doesn't hurt much either.

On 10/22/2019 at 7:41 AM, Nick7 said:

This way ZFS can still detect errors on disk due to checksum, etc.

AFAIK, this won't work, because a RAID of one drive won't present the drive SMART data.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

On 10/25/2019 at 6:56 PM, AbydosOne said:

AFAIK, this won't work, because a RAID of one drive won't present the drive SMART data.

SMART has nothing to do with checksum ZFS does.

ZFS itself does not in any way check/use SMART data.

Yes, with having each drive as logical volume, you lose access to SMART data from OS directly, but if you need it, you can still access it with raid controller tools.

Other than that, there is no real difference between logical volume vs physical disk.

On 10/25/2019 at 6:56 PM, AbydosOne said:

42 minutes ago, Nick7 said:

Yes, with having each drive as logical volume, you lose access to SMART data from OS directly

You can always access the SMART data of each individual physical drive, it is not really relevant what volumes or raid configurations you have on those drives...

Only if you let a RAID chip ("hardware RAID") handle the communication with the drives then your OS cannot get SMART data but that is exactly what you do not want with ZFS.

On 10/21/2019 at 2:23 AM, Jarsky said:

where people would try and swap the RAID card and wonder why it wouldn't work (Third Party aka. non integrated RAID cards, go in one of the standard PCI-E expansion slots). 

Can confirm my R710 did not like my HBA installed in the proprietary slot the the raid controller was in, put it in another X8 slot and works like a charm

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

23 hours ago, Olaf6541 said:

Only if you let a RAID chip ("hardware RAID") handle the communication with the drives then your OS cannot get SMART data but that is exactly what you do not want with ZFS.

It does not matter to ZFS, nor impacts error handling by ZFS.

ZFS does not read or use SMART data.

FreeNAS or similar know to read SMART and give alerts, etc... but - ZFS itself has nothing to do with SMART.

It's similar as myth of 1GB of RAM for 1TB of space under ZFS. Even without dedup. Or ECC memory required.

4 hours ago, Nick7 said:

It does not matter to ZFS, nor impacts error handling by ZFS.

ZFS does not read or use SMART data.

Correct, I meant if your aim is to use ZFS and you use it the right way your OS would always be able to see SMART data because youre not using hardware raid.

The SMART data itself is accessed by the OS and has indeed nothing to do with ZFS or anything else on the disks.

On the physical side of things.  SAS ports are backwards compatible with SATA drives.  Aka, you can plug a SATA drive into a SAS port and it will work just fine. (Just not a SAS drive into a SATA port)

On the logical side of things, FreeNAS ZFS wants direct logical access to the disk.  A Raid card in IR mode will interfere with this and can cause data corruption.  So what you want is is a Raid card capable of being firmware flashed to IT mode.  IT mode disables the RAID feature set, and makes the RAID card act like a Host Bus Adapter.

The flash process is slightly different for every card, but many cards use the same chipsets so you can cross flash with a different firmware.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

15 hours ago, Thirdgen89GTA said:

On the logical side of things, FreeNAS ZFS wants direct logical access to the disk.  A Raid card in IR mode will interfere with this and can cause data corruption.  So what you want is is a Raid card capable of being firmware flashed to IT mode.  IT mode disables the RAID feature set, and makes the RAID card act like a Host Bus Adapter.

Please do not spread FUD.

IR vs IT mode is same for data consistency and error handling. There is no 'interfering' and/or causing data corruption.

Main difference is in IT mode you skip all 'logic' that RAID card has, which in the end can benefit from better performance, easier obtaining SMART status and easier handling in case of disk failure (no need to go into RAID card config&it's tools).

Saying that IR mode can cause data corruption is completely false and simple FUD.

Only way to cause data corruption is to use write back on RAID card without BBU, but that is different story (read: stupidity).