Is Dolby Surround Sound Worth It?

LessThanSatisfactory

I have spent along time playing games with non-gaming headsets, and i have realized that if you stare at an object (in a game) that makes noise, and turn your self even a little bit left or right, there will be a huge increase in sound in one ear, and a big drop in the other. Will this problem be fixed? Also, how realistic/accurate is the "surround" experience? I have absolutely no Idea where something is coming from (except left or right) when I play with my stereo headset. Should I cash in an extra $30-$60 for 5.1 Dolby digital surround?

Build: Fx-8120@4.1ghz,  Gtx770@1.0ghz,  16gb Patriot memory,  Cheap case from thermaltake

I have a Logitech G930 (Wireless 7.1) and absolutely love the surround sound. I have only experienced it once at a Best Buy before getting this. I didn't get it for the reason you are getting it, I just got it because I knew it was going to be superior. I don't know what headset you are getting, but the G930 transforms all audio into 7.1, including things like music and youtube videos, which is a huge plus IMO. I would recommend it if the upgrade is <$60, so you won't regret it in the future. Also, what headset are you getting? 

Spoiler

Many headsets like the g930 are simulated surround sound. You don't want to buy a headset with actual multiple speakers for surround sound because of the limitations of having to fit all the speakers on your ear. More speakers will result in smaller size speakers, which in turn will produce smaller sound.

The g930 is a great headset for the price, I own one myself. I think the problem you are describing is the lack of depth in your sound, it could be a result of a cheap headset or soundcard. If you get the g930, it has a built in soundcard so you wouldnt have to worry about getting a new one. I'd say the g930 is almost perfect, the only problem I have with it is that it randomly disconnects sometimes but it would reconnect in 5 sec or so.

Short answer:
No.

Long answer:

No, it is a waste of money.

The game creates virtuallized surround sound, and all you can do is hope it is done well.

Listen to this with any non-'surround' or non-[ViRtUaL gAyMeR 360 NoScOpE rAzEr SuRrOuNd] headphones:

Any headphones or software branded with surround sound or list it as a feature is a gimmic.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I personally use a Denon Reciever with 7.1 surround with my set up, and all I use is a toslink cable and it sounds great. I would say that Dolby Surround is worth it.