Testing out Mystery TaoBao CPUs

AlexTheGreatish

BGA TO LGA????

Image result for what meme

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Should have loaded up CPU-Z to properly check the CPU out

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

So where do i get the motherboard conversion kit? 

• CPU
    i7 7700K @4.8GHz, delided
  • Motherboard
    ASUS z170-A
  • RAM
    2*8GB HyperX Fury @ 2400MHz
  • GPU
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming with Arctic accelero Xtreme IV Cooler
  • Case
    Bequiet Pure Base 600, Black, tempered glass window
  • Storage
    1*250GB Samsung Evo 960 1*480GB Kingston SSD 1*1TB WD Black @7200RPM
  • PSU
    Corsair RM750X
  • Display(s)
    1*Acer Z301 CTBMIPHZX 29.5", 2560x1080, 200Hz 1*Philips 23" 1080p @60Hz
  • Cooling
    Corsair H110i V2
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G G810 Orion Spectrum RGB
  • Mouse
    Logitech G G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB
  • Sound
    Kingston HyperX Cloud 2
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

@AlexTheGreatish Another vid on the subject of reusing laptop CPUs in a desktop form factor that would be interesting would be checking out the Portwell Wade-8321. You can find them on eBay for reasonable prices, shipped from Israel. I did a build on one (and contributed alot to configuration of) with an i7-3610qm and it's rock solid. Reused a dead laptop's CPU. Makes for a great htpc/lanparty rig or whatever. Does require PCI-E to run at gen 2 for newer GPUs to work though. 

Here's the thread with all the info that could help if it's something you guys explore. I'm Helgaiden on there. 

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/seeking-header-pin-outs-and-advice-for-wade-itx-board.2117022/

YouTube/CoalitionGaming - Cameras: Canon 1DX MkII, Canon EOS M6 MkII, Panasonic Lumix G85
The Gaming/Streaming/Editing Rig: Codename
LINCHPIN 
Ryzen 9 5900X // Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite mobo // 32gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600mhz // Swiftech Boreas custom CPU loop & IRIS Helix Fans // Lian LI PC-O11 Dynamic Case // Nvidia RTX 3080 FE  // Sandisk x400 1tb SSD // Micron 2tb SSD // WD 1tb Blue HDD // SK Hynix Gold P31 NVME 1tb SSD // 

I can't read the site, would live a more english friendly version to get my hands on one of these. They're sweet and I need an LGA 1151 CPU, any i5 or i7 honestly, sub $100.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, Miracle Nachos said:

He just said that Integrated Heat Spreaders come with a heat transfer penalty... And we know LTT has all the gear to de-lid a CPU...

Would there be any value in a video showing the performance upgrade/cooling benefit of delidding, say, an i9 9900k and sticking a heatsink right on the die?

We already did this!

5 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

BGA TO LGA????

Image result for what meme

Not the first time, taobao still has old LGA 1150 mobile CPUs that showed up 1-2 years back.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Yeah, my HTPC is running a water cooled 4ghz all core (4.4 single core) i7 4950HQ with that sweet sweet 128MB L3 cache. Great CPU for that use, runs super cool and uses very little power. Poor case airflow is why I needed water cooling, not because the CPU runs hot. Mobile on desktop is fantastic for when you want power but also want quiet.

In all honesty, I am surprised that more mobile chips are not offered for socketed desktop applications from conventional manufacturers. But then again that is a fringe case at best, and installing a hacked BIOS is not too hard.

image.gif.b02a5c0487816c7c1fbf7221a8fde641.gif

18 minutes ago, Andrew 1337 said:

In all honesty, I am surprised that more mobile chips are not offered for socketed desktop applications from conventional manufacturers. But then again that is a fringe case at best, and installing a hacked BIOS is not too hard.

They probably arent offered because they are low TDP mobile alternatives to far more powerful processors available for desktop/workstation. There really isnt a need for them other than being cheap second hand due to availability of them due to higher failure rates and adoption rates in mobile devices. 

And yes installing a "hacked" BIOS is not hard, but when was the last time you had to modify a BIOS to accept a non conventional CPU, and get integrated features working? I modified the BIOS on one of my Asus boards about 10 years ago which would just modifying hex following what someone else had already worked out, I wouldn't even know where to start getting a board to accept a new type of CPU....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

12 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

They probably arent offered because they are low TDP mobile alternatives to far more powerful processors available for desktop/workstation. There really isnt a need for them other than being cheap second hand due to availability of them due to higher failure rates and adoption rates in mobile devices. 

And yes installing a "hacked" BIOS is not hard, but when was the last time you had to modify a BIOS to accept a non conventional CPU, and get integrated features working? I modified the BIOS on one of my Asus boards about 10 years ago which would just modifying hex following what someone else had already worked out, I wouldn't even know where to start getting a board to accept a new type of CPU....

So a fringe case and installing a BIOS someone else did the work on is still easy? Cool.

Love these videos where they seem to be just having fun playing around with tech instead of being salty about this or that brand/company :D 

I am actually interested in purchasing this conversion cpu. I have Z170 and i just want to upgrade without spending too much money. However, Mr Su's enterprise is not very accessible on taobao... 

Does anyone have a link or something to the modded BIOS flash required to run these chips?

FULL CUSTOM WATER COOLED = AMD Ryzen 1700X + AsRock B450 itx/ac + 2x8GB ADATA D10 DDR4 + EVGA GTX 1070 FTW  Integra 450W SFX + Intel 660p 1TB SSD + Modded Fractal Design Node 202

16 hours ago, Andrew 1337 said:

Two words: "Cherry Picking".

I've seen some NUC type small PC's and AIO's with mobile chips in them, but unless you have some specific power draw requirements (which usually isn't a problem on desktop) the mobile and the desktop chip are one and the same.

Intel doesn't have hundreds of different production lines, it's all the same design. Just a small amount of chips come out 100% and working within the specified parameters. Most of the chips all have a defect of some sort. The cache isn't all there, several cores don't work, etc. etc. etc. What Intel does is just deactivate the parts of the chip that don't work and sell them as i3-something or i5-otherthing. So actually an i3 is just a defective i7. That's also why they have so many different types of chips, they're trying to use as much of the wafer as possible.

Mobile and server chips are chips which also have the same design but just fall into a different category of performance characteristics. That is all. Because they are cherry picked they are worth more, or at least you pay more for them. So it wouldn't make sense to use a mobile chip in a desktop because it would drive the cost without any benefits.

This all changes when you're desoldering working CPU's from defective laptop motherboards. Apparently it is a feasible business model. I'm not even sure you'd need to hack the BIOS as the firmware for all the CPU's is included in the UDK.

On 10/20/2019 at 5:07 PM, Fasauceome said:

I can't read the site, would live a more english friendly version to get my hands on one of these. They're sweet and I need an LGA 1151 CPU, any i5 or i7 honestly, sub $100.

Was going to help only to realize taobaos site is busted for me

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Is there any way to get these bare die things for stuff like 9900k or 9700k?

You need to do dumb shit to mount a cooler on a bare die now and that seems pretty viable?

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

13 hours ago, maksakal said:

Two words: "Cherry Picking".

I've seen some NUC type small PC's and AIO's with mobile chips in them, but unless you have some specific power draw requirements (which usually isn't a problem on desktop) the mobile and the desktop chip are one and the same.

Intel doesn't have hundreds of different production lines, it's all the same design. Just a small amount of chips come out 100% and working within the specified parameters. Most of the chips all have a defect of some sort. The cache isn't all there, several cores don't work, etc. etc. etc. What Intel does is just deactivate the parts of the chip that don't work and sell them as i3-something or i5-otherthing. So actually an i3 is just a defective i7. That's also why they have so many different types of chips, they're trying to use as much of the wafer as possible.

Mobile and server chips are chips which also have the same design but just fall into a different category of performance characteristics. That is all. Because they are cherry picked they are worth more, or at least you pay more for them. So it wouldn't make sense to use a mobile chip in a desktop because it would drive the cost without any benefits.

This all changes when you're desoldering working CPU's from defective laptop motherboards. Apparently it is a feasible business model. I'm not even sure you'd need to hack the BIOS as the firmware for all the CPU's is included in the UDK.

Wait wait wait. Mobile and desktop are certainly NOT always the same. Mobile CPU's run at much lower voltages than the desktop parts, voltages that would crash the desktop CPU at the same clocks. Mobile CPU's sometimes have different iGPU, and in some cases have a different cache structure as well. An i3 isn't a defective i7 either, more like an i3 is a the top line dual core CPU and then cut down from there to make Pentium and Celeron. Intel doesn't need lots of different lines, it's called batching. Batch of i3's, batch of i7's, etc. Usually it's the clock speeds from the batches that bin them out into different performance levels,not failed features. I'm sure there's some circumstances but a Haswell i7 for desktop and a Crystalwell i7 for mobile, despite both being Haswell based are not the same overall CPU, the cores may be the same but GT2 and 128MB L3 were never ever part of the desktop package.

On 10/22/2019 at 2:58 PM, Bitter said:

Wait wait wait. Mobile and desktop are certainly NOT always the same. Mobile CPU's run at much lower voltages than the desktop parts, voltages that would crash the desktop CPU at the same clocks. Mobile CPU's sometimes have different iGPU, and in some cases have a different cache structure as well. An i3 isn't a defective i7 either, more like an i3 is a the top line dual core CPU and then cut down from there to make Pentium and Celeron. Intel doesn't need lots of different lines, it's called batching. Batch of i3's, batch of i7's, etc. Usually it's the clock speeds from the batches that bin them out into different performance levels,not failed features. I'm sure there's some circumstances but a Haswell i7 for desktop and a Crystalwell i7 for mobile, despite both being Haswell based are not the same overall CPU, the cores may be the same but GT2 and 128MB L3 were never ever part of the desktop package.

Read what I said, yes they are. The only reason why they are able to run on lower voltages is because their transistor get etched better (to explain it very very coarsely).

Batching would mean tool swapping an entire line and that would mean downtime. They do not do that.

You are comparing dies from 2 different generations. Ofcourse the later generation will have improvements, but their basic design is the same.

Here for instance you can see all the dies of the Hasswell family. Notice anything?
3.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 10/20/2019 at 3:33 PM, CoalitionGaming said:

@AlexTheGreatish Another vid on the subject of reusing laptop CPUs in a desktop form factor that would be interesting would be checking out the Portwell Wade-8321. You can find them on eBay for reasonable prices, shipped from Israel. I did a build on one (and contributed alot to configuration of) with an i7-3610qm and it's rock solid. Reused a dead laptop's CPU. Makes for a great htpc/lanparty rig or whatever. Does require PCI-E to run at gen 2 for newer GPUs to work though. 

Here's the thread with all the info that could help if it's something you guys explore. I'm Helgaiden on there. 

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/seeking-header-pin-outs-and-advice-for-wade-itx-board.2117022/

That's pretty cool. Can that run a i7-3940XM and play with overclocking?

The Daily Driver:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC  |  48GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600  | Corsair 750D Case
AsRock X570 Pro 4 mobo

iRacing Sim Rig:

i5-10600k @ 5.0 GHz  |  EVGA GTX 1080ti Hybrid  | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600  |  Corsair Air 540 Case
ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix mobo