EVGA G3 is really bad ?

Yuniel

i read here the g3 is bad psu and in the tier budget and advanced tier do not recommened , but according to tom'shardware , is recommened psu of 2016 or 2017 idk now , also they say

Our Verdict

A top performing PSU which with higher efficiency at 5VSB and a less aggressive fan profile could be close to perfection. Super Flower's new platform is awesome and EVGA did good to use it, for replacing the aged G2 units (which still rock though).

obiosly aris know about the issue of OTP

Against

• Not affordable
  • Inrush current with 230V
  • OTP is set high
  • 5VSB efficiency
  • Vampire power
  • Noisy
  • In-cable caps

also in the review of the g5 both 1000w/750w received less star than the g3 and aris mention (EVGA's high numbered G, P, and T lines (G2, G3, P2, and T2) exclusively used Super Flower's Leadex platforms, which are among the best in today's market. Nonetheless, recent U.S. tariffs affected manufacturers with production lines in China, so EVGA had to turn to another OEM for the new G5 line, which will replace the G3 models. Probably this is the best time to grab a G3 PSU, even a G2 if you manage to find any before they vanish from the stores)

so why the PSU g3 is treat like a reallly bad PSU in this links https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/944852-dont-buy-the-g3/ like other links

my question is if it really bad PSU why tom's hardware dont give 1 or 2 star and no 4 ? and or https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2016/12/26/evga-supernova-750-g3-power-supply/6/ also give 9.8 rating ?

If you are reading proper PSU reviews, you should form your own opinion. Ignore the last page on the THW and Jonnyguru reviews.

Imo, you generally shouldn't buy the G3, because it lacks multi rail OCP, and because it's so loud, compared to the competition. You can generally get PSUs that perform similarly enough and have all the expected protections, but are a lot quieter, for the same price or less.

:)

1 hour ago, Yuniel said:

i read here the g3 is bad psu and in the tier budget and advanced tier do not recommened , but according to tom'shardware , is recommened psu of 2016 or 2017 idk now , also they say

Our Verdict

A top performing PSU which with higher efficiency at 5VSB and a less aggressive fan profile could be close to perfection. Super Flower's new platform is awesome and EVGA did good to use it, for replacing the aged G2 units (which still rock though).

obiosly aris know about the issue of OTP

Against

• Not affordable
  • Inrush current with 230V
  • OTP is set high
  • 5VSB efficiency
  • Vampire power
  • Noisy
  • In-cable caps

also in the review of the g5 both 1000w/750w received less star than the g3 and aris mention (EVGA's high numbered G, P, and T lines (G2, G3, P2, and T2) exclusively used Super Flower's Leadex platforms, which are among the best in today's market. Nonetheless, recent U.S. tariffs affected manufacturers with production lines in China, so EVGA had to turn to another OEM for the new G5 line, which will replace the G3 models. Probably this is the best time to grab a G3 PSU, even a G2 if you manage to find any before they vanish from the stores)

so why the PSU g3 is treat like a reallly bad PSU in this links https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/944852-dont-buy-the-g3/ like other links

my question is if it really bad PSU why tom's hardware dont give 1 or 2 star and no 4 ? and or https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2016/12/26/evga-supernova-750-g3-power-supply/6/ also give 9.8 rating ?

PSU tier list is a mess.  It's a good example of why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. The G3 is very good power supply.  

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

If you are reading proper PSU reviews, you should form your own opinion. Ignore the last page on the THW and Jonnyguru reviews.

Imo, you generally shouldn't buy the G3, because it lacks multi rail OCP, and because it's so loud, compared to the competition. You can generally get PSUs that perform similarly enough and have all the expected protections, but are a lot quieter, for the same price or less.

well the loud is not a problem , i know is loud i already have one since 2017 and the fan is loud only when is in oce , i leave in eco when i hear the fan star is mean the fan is working good , no like other brands like corsair some PSU dont come with fan tester to see if the fan work or no , about OCP , is only if if you overload the PSU intensionality , who in the mind will load their PSU intensionality for see if the PC will shut down ?

no to mention g3 have moreee wayy units sold than their competitors corsiair or seasonic 80 gold plus , you can see on amazon reviews veryfify purchased of evga , seasonic and corsair , also in newegg

of course no everyone who buy write reviews , but this apply in all the brands

9 minutes ago, Yuniel said:

well the loud is not a problem , i know is loud i already have one since 2017 and the fan is loud only when is in oce , i leave in eco when i hear the fan star is mean the fan is working good , no like other brands like corsair some PSU dont come with fan tester to see if the fan work or no , about OCP , is only if if you overload the PSU intensionality , who in the mind will load their PSU intensionality for see if the PC will shut down ?

So given you get the option of two PSUs, you would pick the louder one...? That's like Jayztwocents level stupid fanboyism. Multi rail OCP is a protection. It matters when something goes wrong in the PC. Just like with any protection. Let's say the VRM on the motherboard failed, and a 1600W PSU ends up sending 1600W down the EPS connector. A single rail PSU like the G3 would see no problem, and could start a fire. A multi rail PSU would see that something has gone wrong, and would safely shut down.

That's exactly what happened here.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/944707-why-single-rail-not-better-than-multi-rail.html

Edited by seon123
Something something

6 minutes ago, seon123 said:

So given you get the option of two PSUs, you would pick the louder one...?

is not about fanboy , let me expaint better , i had a corsair rm1000 w for two years the fan never EVER star and i wondering why why and i touch the PSU and are very hot , result thanks god dont hurt any commponet of my PC but i remplace for the g3 in the 2017 (in the end i never know if the fan of corsair had a problem or no beacuse dont have eco botton , just only star IF the PSU reach high temp but i touched and are very hot and never the fan start ) resumen when i hear my fan start the g3 that make me relax beacuse this mean is working 100% the fan and yes i know is loud but for 3 mins and then reduce the speed until is turn off , is nothing about fanboy beacuse i have the eye focus on this one

CORSAIR AX Series AX850 CP-9020151-NA 850W ATX12V 80 PLUS TITANIUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply

is corsair but made by seasonic and also come with fan botton tester and ALSO come with sometime the evga g2 or g3 dont come wioth the cable sata flat for better management when you use mutilples hard drive / sata ssd , i dont like all the cable meshy or all flat , the mobo , pci cable etc.. mechy yes good but some cables like sata must be flat for easy move , the cables of g3 are kinda hard to manegement

1 hour ago, Yuniel said:

for two years the fan never EVER star and i wondering why why and i touch the PSU and are very hot , result thanks god dont hurt any commponet of my PC but i remplace for the g3 in the 2017

This is awful reasoning. Human skin is a horribly inaccurate measure of whether or not a PC component is hot, some PC components are ok even around 125 degrees celsius, far beyond what would burn you. The fan probably wasn't spinning because the PSU is rated for 1000 watts and you were probably pulling like 300 watts.

What rig are you powering? What country are you buying from? Chances are you can get a better PSU than the G3 for the same or less cost.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

but according to TMH the unit who die is the 1000w

We didn't get any OCP results because our unit died during the OPP test, meaning either that this particular sample had a problem or OPP is set very high. Note that we conduct these tests at normal ambient temperatures, below 30°C.

they dont update the info :(

36 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

This is awful reasoning. Human skin is a horribly inaccurate measure of whether or not a PC component is hot, some PC components are ok even around 125 degrees celsius, far beyond what would burn you. The fan probably wasn't spinning because the PSU is rated for 1000 watts and you were probably pulling like 300 watts.

well when i touch the g3 is hot but no extremely hot compare to the corsair , i mean when the g3 fan start working , and yes is awful corsair dont have a tester fan in order to know if fan work or not and i using in the moment i had corsair i7 3930k , 1080 gtx , 16 gb ram , asus rampage IV extreme 3 HDD 1 SSD , all normal i never do OC , i dont tryong to looking new PSU right now i using g3 for my currently rig , but i planing to build new one and i already have the case just want to have the PSU and i have the eye on ax850 titanium , according to tmh is a top of the top , i know i dont need a titanium , i honetly pref a same g3 but new one of course i dont feel good to watching few forums the g3 have OCP issues

1 minute ago, Yuniel said:

well when i touch the g3 is hot but no extremely hot compare to the corsair

just don't use your skin to measure if a PC component is too hot. Whether or not your PC feels hot doesn't matter, at all.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

ust don't use your skin to measure if a PC component is too hot. Whether or not your PC feels hot doesn't matter, at all.

of course no , but touching the case of the PSU can give you an idea how hot is inside , just common sense

6 minutes ago, Yuniel said:

of course no , but touching the case of the PSU can give you an idea how hot is inside , just common sense

no it cannot. You don't know the temps of the caps, inductors, etc by touching the outside, and you have no way of knowing if it's performing better or worse thermally than a different PSU.

Primary PC:

5 hours ago, Yuniel said:

i read here the g3 is bad psu and in the tier budget and advanced tier do not recommened

Yeah cause it's subjective. All the creators of the tier list care about is protections which is stupid for alot of people. Ignore it.

5 hours ago, seon123 said:

because it lacks multi rail OCP,

Who is hardly necessary untill you get to very high wattage (atleast 750).

3 hours ago, Yuniel said:

only if if you overload the PSU intensionality

Or the very rare case of a short which the SCP of UVP doesn't detect, the multi rail unit should shutdown slightly earlier and may save a component

3 hours ago, Yuniel said:

no to mention g3 have moreee wayy units

How much a unit sells has nothing to do with the quality of the power supply.

1 hour ago, Rexper said:

Who is hardly necessary untill you get to very high wattage (atleast 750).

Yes. But the G3 is available in up to a 1000W version, so that makes it arguably necessary for 3/5 wattages. It also doesn't hurt to have multi rail on lower wattages. 

5 hours ago, Yuniel said:

?

Why are you defending this decision of purchase in light of the facts? It's really more straight forwards than this, you look at your market options and you buy the best value that's it.

The G3 from my understanding is often not that best value, if you by some reason still want it in particular it's fine to do so, it is not a bad unit just not the best at the price point but this can depend on peculiarities of where you're buying from.

I think that if we know the G3 is fine it can always be a consideration, just not a recommendation.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

well, since it seems fun to bash me here, i might as well give my two cents here

i don't recommend the g3 because the death of the 1000w model in aris's testing, the bulk cap's housing almost melted on the 850w and the protections in general are set way too high in my opinion. 

Huh, I don't get these complaints about the 850W Supernova G3. Both my hubby and I have had those for a couple of years now, they work absolutely fantastic and they're definitely very quiet too, even with the ECO-mode off. I have actually never bothered to try ECO-mode in the first place, because I'd have to go sit on the floor with my ear next to the case to hear the PSU even as-is.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

15 hours ago, seon123 said:

Yes. But the G3 is available in up to a 1000W version, so that makes it arguably necessary for 3/5 wattages. It also doesn't hurt to have multi rail on lower wattages. 

ok just for make clear , the g3 dont have multi rail ? just only single rail ? , the g2 have same as g3 ? , i just ask beacuse i dont know much about it , and what is btter single or multi rail ? , beacuse in this video i dont understant complete 100%

I'm bamboozled by this thread. 

Do you already have the G3? If so, keep using it unless there's another one with features you want instead (like the power monitoring on Corsair's i series). 

If you're buying new, there's better options at the same price point. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

9 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

i don't recommend the g3 because the death of the 1000w model in aris's testing, the bulk cap's housing almost melted on the 850w and the protections in general are set way too high in my opinion. 

thanks for your answer and opinion , this one look better ? https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/AX-Series™-80-PLUS-Titanium-Power-Supplies/p/CP-9020151-NA

is corsair but made by seasonic eich one you choice ax850 titanium or seasonic https://seasonic.com/prime-ultra-titanium

regardless about the wattage 650/750/850

11 minutes ago, Yuniel said:

it is better, but i'm personally not a big fan of single rail units at a wattage of 750w or higher

but they're pretty much the same, from what i know seasonic barely allows modification to their platforms

22 minutes ago, Yuniel said:

ok just for make clear , the g3 dont have multi rail ? just only single rail ? , the g2 have same as g3 ? , i just ask beacuse i dont know much about it , and what is btter single or multi rail ? , beacuse in this video i dont understant complete 100%

Don't worry about the video, LMG doesn't understand anything about PSUs either.

All of EVGAs PSUs are single rail atm. Multi rail is like having a fuse for each room of your house. Single rail is like having a single fuse for your entire house. Of course, the single fuse would have to trip at a much later point than if you had multiple fuses. Multi rail is obviously safer.