PC upgrade recommendations

thegopnik

I realised that my gaming PC is not really a gaming PC. Some of the specs, some people don't even consider good parts for gaming. It's like a potato that got a GTX strapped to it.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370p d3

CPU: Intel core i3 8100

8GB Corsair Valueselect RAM

PSU: Corsair VS350

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3gb

Some black Antec case that should be for an office pc

My 1TB drive is good

Recommend any parts I must upgrade for it to be a good gaming rig please and thank you for the help!

IMG-20191012-WA0004.jpeg

budget?

seriously, though if you're going to upgrade i'd get a new PSU

i'd upgrade the CPU, though you'd need a new mobo, cpu, and for better performance, RAM

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

First of all - upgrade your PSU if you want to upgrade CPU and GPU. Second - it's still good configuration for lot of games. Do you have problem with any games or you want to compare your fps to most powerful configurations?

the PSU

current one is trash level

8 minutes ago, thegopnik said:

My 1TB drive is good

Add SSD as boot drive then

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Is that a single 8gb stick?(cant quite tell from the pictures). If so you should probably get a cheap second one for dual channel,

that can really cause some stuttering nowadays.

Otherwise the system is quite balanced actually, what should be upgraded depends on what res/refresh rate you play at.

This should probably be ok for 1080p/60fps on high in most games. For starters Id probably get a 1 tb ssd for around 100$ and put everything on there,

waiting for stuff to load is really annoying and its gonna make the pc feel so much snappier. If you are really sensitive to frame drops or need a high refresh rate

id probably upgrade the cpu first to an 8600k (or a 8700k if you plan to stick with that for a long time). Upgrading the GPU to something that is alot better is going to get expensive atm, something like a 5700xt or a 2070 is about twice as fast.
Anyways, if youre gonna make some serious upgrades then youll have to replace that PSU, you might get away with upgrading the cpu, but it doesnt even have enough connectors for a mid high range gpu.

2 hours ago, Gegger said:

budget?

seriously, though if you're going to upgrade i'd get a new PSU

i'd upgrade the CPU, though you'd need a new mobo, cpu, and for better performance, RAM

around 400-500 quid

8 hours ago, homeap5 said:

First of all - upgrade your PSU if you want to upgrade CPU and GPU. Second - it's still good configuration for lot of games. Do you have problem with any games or you want to compare your fps to most powerful configurations?

I get Forza horizon 4 stuttering on max settings. I love getting the most out of my games and the best looking experience. Maximum textures and shaders at 30 fps i will favour over 120 fps with low settings

57 minutes ago, thegopnik said:

I get Forza horizon 4 stuttering on max settings. I love getting the most out of my games and the best looking experience. Maximum textures and shaders at 30 fps i will favour over 120 fps with low settings

Max settings mostly gives you no difference compared to high or even medium sometimes. It's mostly for people who like to test graphics cards in games. Of course - it may looks nicer by 5-10%, but I'm not sure cost of upgrade is worth it.

Well, to me every little detail counts. Any other upgrades?