The iPhone 11 Pro Max is great

The iPhone 11 Pro is the most expensive iPhone you can buy today – Is it a worthy successor to the previous most expensive iPhones you can buy or is it a rehash worth skipping?

Buy an iPhone 11 Pro Max:
From Apple: https://lmg.gg/8KV1h
On Amazon: https://geni.us/OmCK5

Buy an iPhone 11 Pro:
From Apple: https://lmg.gg/8KV1h
On Amazon: https://geni.us/rrwe

Buy an iPhone 11:
From Apple: https://lmg.gg/8KV1w
On Amazon: https://geni.us/D1Mw

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

I don't care about what anyone says, the iPhone 11 Pro Max is the best phone on the market IMO.

^Coming from someone who has owned a OnePlus 7T, S10, S10+, P30 Pro, and many other phones.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Have to say, CarPlay on iOS 13.2 works perfect for me. I don't experience the same issues you do, maybe its car specific or just works fine on Pioneer units?

I think most of Linus's gripes with the Apple Watch (like the Google Mail problem) are issues that the respective developer of the software has to address, not Apple. Using the default mail client on the Apple watch, I can read full mails just fine.

Another prominent example of this is WhatsApp, which doesn't have a client for the Apple Watch. That's not Apple's fault though, Telegram offers one, so it's clearly doable.

Other than that I liked the review. The 11 Pro seems like a great device, albeit at the usual Apple premium price. Still bummed about the loss of 3D Touch, though. I'll admit it had limited usefulness, but it had so much potential. The only thing they would've had to improve was discoverability.

Hahahaha....an ad for rugs? I mean, I'm sure some people need them, but the person at that company that thought it'd be a good choice for LTT didn't do a great deal of research into most of their viewers.

I'm awfully tempted to try out an iPhone, but until they bring in an app drawer and have better compatibility with Google apps it's a no go for me.

Next years phone seems a lot more interesting.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

@LinusTech I had thought that the Android dialer was horribly buggy for years until I saw your video. You might have gotten used to it, but for the rest of us, we just want to enter a number when given a dial pad. There is a similar situation with Windows 10 search. Anyone who has gotten used to it will love it and hate anything different, but everyone else just wants it to search the machine like it did on Windows 7.

In the case of the dialer’s number pad, people generally want it to work like it did on the first push button phones. On those, the letters on the number pad are meant to allow easy entry of mnemonic phone numbers like (800) MY–APPLE. It got reused for SMS entry in early cell phones, but modern cellphones support QWERTY keyboards, so they do not need it. Those of us who want to lookup a contact by name use the contacts tab or just ask Siri to call that contact.

29 minutes ago, ryao said:

@LinusTech I had thought that the Android dialer was horribly buggy for years until I saw your video. You might have gotten used to it, but for the rest of us, we just want to enter a number when given a dial pad. There is a similar situation with Windows 10 search. Anyone who has gotten used to it will love it and hate anything different, but everyone else just wants it to search the machine like it did on Windows 7.

In the case of the dialer’s number pad, people generally want it to work like it did on the first push button phones. On those, the letters on the number pad are meant to allow easy entry of mnemonic phone numbers like (800) MY–APPLE. It got reused for SMS entry in early cell phones, but modern cellphones support QWERTY keyboards, so they do not need it. Those of us who want to lookup a contact by name use the contacts tab or just ask Siri to call that contact.

You say that as though the apple dialer also takes number entry seriously. 

I have to enter ALL 10 digits of a number that's in my address book rather than just entering the first few and letting it auto-complete. Why would that be? 

These features cost nothing to add and could easily be disabled for people who find them confusing. 

1 hour ago, floofer said:

Have to say, CarPlay on iOS 13.2 works perfect for me. I don't experience the same issues you do, maybe its car specific or just works fine on Pioneer units?

No, it happens at random, and it was well known by beta testers for a long while now.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, it happens at random, and it was well known by beta testers for a long while now.

I've been a tester since the Dev preview. No issues whatsoever. They have fixed numerous issues with the new CarPlay too.

[edit]

come to think of it, CarPlay works fine on my fathers phone and his Nissan Leaf. Haven't heard any complaints. Probably a service issue.

I never found much use for 3D touch over long press, honestly. I use an iPhone and have for a long time, and honestly forgot it existed until it was removed. I just found it annoying that a long, "soft" press enabled app rearrangement when I just wanted to rename a folder.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

You never go back to the carpet store

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Not complete list of corrections/needed addendums from the video. Credit to YT comments and myself as my raging migraine is keeping me from thinking of them myself.

"Siri can't mute notifications"- You're using the wrong phrase, ask siri to turn on do not disturb and she will listen. Is your point still valid that siri is rather limited? Yeah.

"Apple Car Play is bad"- This is mostly if not entirely an issue with GM infotainment systems. FCA doesn't have the issues you're having, neither do most European companies. Per Anthony, Honda does experience the same issue.

"Apple watch is limited in interacting with 3rd party apps"- This is a developer issue of the apps, smart watches are fairly dumb devices and can only do what they're coded to do, they can't figure out anything on their own the way a lot of other devices can.

Will edit as a think of/see things I can confirm, but here ya go. Also, commenting on dictation is risky without an "in my experience" preface as it is very dependent on how long you've been using it and how strong your accent is if you have one. I can't make any dictation work for me, Siri, Google, Bixby, Alexa. None of them can understand me consistently because of my heavy and mixed accent.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

Hahahaha....an ad for rugs? I mean, I'm sure some people need them, but the person at that company that thought it'd be a good choice for LTT didn't do a great deal of research into most of their viewers.

I'm awfully tempted to try out an iPhone, but until they bring in an app drawer and have better compatibility with Google apps it's a no go for me.

Next years phone seems a lot more interesting.

I think google apps are as optimised on iOS as you can get, given that they will never get to enjoy system integration with the OS, and Apple is content to keep them at arm's length so they can favour their own stock apps. 

1 hour ago, SenKa said:

"Apple Car Play is bad"- This is mostly if not entirely an issue with GM infotainment systems. FCA doesn't have the issues you're having, neither do most European companies.

It's the same thing in my 2017 Honda Civic and has been since I got it, not just with my 6S Plus but also tested with the 7 and XS Max. I've got a theory that this is due to mobile network delay, but since offline dictation is a thing, this seems like an issue that's easily solved...

1 hour ago, surferoo said:

@LinusTech You got a link to the dbrand skin as used in video?

cant find it on the dbrand website :(

8F5DC2A6-242C-4774-8B0E-7C7365307EDC.jpeg

Oh please I want this too. 

high quality analog output ( headphone jack). Don't worry linus, the companies will train you. ?

25 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

It's the same thing in my 2017 Honda Civic and has been since I got it, not just with my 6S Plus but also tested with the 7 and XS Max. I've got a theory that this is due to mobile network delay, but since offline dictation is a thing, this seems like an issue that's easily solved...

Strange that it's certain brands, because I can tell you from experience Fiat-Chrysler vehicles don't experience any weirdness. Good to know though!

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, surferoo said:

@LinusTech You got a link to the dbrand skin as used in video?

cant find it on the dbrand website :(

1 hour ago, Fancypants747 said:

Oh please I want this too. 

Limited Edition Robot skin. If you were signed up for dbrand emails, you'd have been notified. https://dbrand.com/shop/limited-edition/robot

image.thumb.png.c700404ec1f9bf2a57d19adb1f5e15d4.png

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

6 hours ago, LinusTech said:

I have to enter ALL 10 digits of a number that's in my address book rather than just entering the first few and letting it auto-complete. Why would that be? 

These features cost nothing to add and could easily be disabled for people who find them confusing. 

You're right the feature should have been added years ago. The only work around that comes to mind is searching by number in your contacts. Apple's reasoning for excluding the feature from the dialer could be the fact most people don't bother memorizing their contacts anymore. I'm not saying this is an excuse but it could help to explain the features absence. 

9 hours ago, Yeroh said:

I think most of Linus's gripes with the Apple Watch (like the Google Mail problem) are issues that the respective developer of the software has to address, not Apple. Using the default mail client on the Apple watch, I can read full mails just fine.

Another prominent example of this is WhatsApp, which doesn't have a client for the Apple Watch. That's not Apple's fault though, Telegram offers one, so it's clearly doable.

I agree with this, the 3rd party developers need to enable these certain features, (seems like Microsoft Teams' got their stuff together) but I think Linus' arguement is that Apple as the manufacturer and developer of the products should also put more rigid policies in place so that all apps follow similar behaviour, this seems to be the case with iOS for the most part. Android has issues with this too obviously, in some cases each app is a mixed bag and you aren't sure what functionality to expect from the notification bar or lock screen etc. In the end, both parties have some blame.

On 10/19/2019 at 4:55 PM, LinusTech said:

You overestimate the average user. Anything more than the entered numbers appearing on screen in the dialer confuse one of my neighbors who definitely would have no clue how to turn such a function off. This neighbor was confused by android’s dialer having things appear as the number was entered (as was I).

Honestly, I am happy with the dialer acting like a “retro” push button phone in having almost no frills on the number pad. The only frill that it does have is that if you enter a number in your address book, it will display the contact’s name so you know that you entered it correctly.

7 hours ago, ryao said:

You overestimate the average user. Anything more than the entered numbers appearing on screen in the dialer confuse one of my neighbors who definitely would have no clue how to turn such a function off. This neighbor was confused by android’s dialer having things appear as the number was entered (as was I).

Honestly, I am happy with the dialer acting like a “retro” push button phone in having almost no frills on the number pad. The only frill that it does have is that if you enter a number in your address book, it will display the contact’s name so you know that you entered it correctly.

What I don't understand is... Why not both? It wouldn't take much effort to do something like this...

dialer.png

21 hours ago, GabenJr said:

What I don't understand is... Why not both? It wouldn't take much effort to do something like this...

dialer.png

You might have misunderstood what I described. If you enter the number of a person in your contacts, their name appears below it after you have entered the entire number. There is no search / autocomplete attempted. It is a subtle way of telling you that you had easier ways of calling the person than entering the number. If you want to do a search by contact name (which is far more mnemonic than the number), you go to the contact list and then you can have your partial word search results or better yet, just ask Siri to call the person.

Even though I could adapt, I appreciate not having a mini game pop up on my screen when I am entering a phone number. The average person ought to feel similarly. My neighbor who is basically as average as they come certainly prefers not having the phone try to help when entering a number. That confused her when she tried dialing numbers on Android, but she has had no problems since switching to the iPhone. Anything unexpected appearing when entering a number is too much for some people.

Those who find such functionality desirable can always install a third party application from the iOS store to get it:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/t9-dialer/id1104916319

Unlike yourself and Linus, people who are confused by anything other than simplicity could not install a third party dialer to fix things if the default were changed to cater to your tastes.

On 10/19/2019 at 4:55 PM, LinusTech said:

To answer your question (as I just realized that it was not rhetorical), you are not supposed to be entering the number for someone in your contacts. You are supposed to either ask Siri to call them or open the contacts list and use the search box. Alternatively, you can install a third party dialer that does what you want:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/t9-dialer/id1104916319

That is something that people who need simplicity could not do if the stock dialer had been to your preference. Those people would not be able to disable them either. The average person just needs a simulation of a push button phone. All push button phones have letters on the number pad to aid with entering mnemonic numbers. Phones have been that way for at least 80 years and that is generally what people expect.