HELP! LAPTOP Config questions

Hi all, 

I am purchasing a computer for university early next year but unsure of the specs I want due to my workload. The most demanding things I will do on the laptop is editing 3k video and gaming. I'm fine with a mx 250/ 150 because I don't play AAA games. However I am not sure what specs I can get away with editing 3k video. I do have an budget of around 2k aud (When say laptop I mean more of an ultra book like Macbooks/Zenbooks/Matebooks)

For example is an i5 16gb ram better then i7 8gb ram for editing?

Is the processor really that important or is Ram? (I want smooth scrubbing at at least 1080p, video usually have 3 - 6 layers.)

The laptops I have in mind come in either i5 8gb or i7 16gb, how big of an upgrade is this? I can bare to wait an extra hour in terms of rendering but scrubbing and editing process itself has to be be smooth.

Presumably 8gb is worse off than 16gb ram, however many companies don't allow for an i5 16gb config. 

p.s does under volting my laptop make it worse off in editing, I presume not but no one has confirmed this to me. 

Thanks!

without a doubt, youll need 16gb and an i7 for that kind of editing. 16gb should be the minimum, and 8gb will get you nowhere.  Ram is a bit more important than processor as you can kinda sorda get away with an i5, but both are valuable. Try your best to get a laptop with both. 

Undervolting doesnt effect performance, rather it just helps with keeping tempertures lower.  

I wouldn't recommend macbooks btw as theyr overpriced, have keyboard issues and can be very expensive to repair. zenbooks seem to be a good option. just make sure everything works when you get it and edit a quick video while watching the temps. Asus doesnt have the best reliability either.