Needing a Budget E-ATX Case With At Least One 5.25" Bay *Help!*

Go to solution Solved by PianoPlayer88Key,

You need to be careful looking for "EATX" cases to fit a 13" wide motherboard like that  A lot of "EATX" cases will only accept boards up to about 10.7" wide or so (like some higher-end single-socket enthusiast boards), and thus are IMO incorrectly labeled as EATX compatible.

For example, I believe the Corsair 750D that @Masman8675 suggested would NOT fit the X8DTH-6F.  (Also I personally would not recommend a product that would require potentially-warranty-voiding modifications to work with another product, but maybe that's just me.)

True EATX is 13" wide, which is the same size as SSI EEB.  The 10.*" boards (and cases compatible with them) should, I think, be labeled something like "ATX+".  (BTW, SSI CEB is 10.5", similar to the ATX+ enthusiast boards I mentioned.)

Anyway, here's a USA-based (cause I don't see your location / country in your profile) pcpartpicker list, filtered to show cases with at least 1x 5.25" bay, compatible with SSI EEB, and filtering out ones without prices.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#G=1,12&sort=price&xcx=0&f=14&X=100,315006

The cheapest one I see is the $100 Rosewill Rise.  The Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG is $4 more, and if I was looking for a case like that, it's probably the one I would be more likely to get.

So, I'm in the middle of getting a new dual Xeon rig up and running, but am having issues finding a good case for my motherboard (SuperMicro X8DTH-6F).  Ideally I only want to pay $100-200 for it not $400 like retailers seem to want.  Only real requirements are that it has at least one 5.25" optical drive bay, and is EATX of course. ? 

Does not have to be new, though bonus points for a window on the side lol.

Thanks in advance!

Why does it have to have a 5.25" drive bay?
Those are pretty non-existant on modern cases.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You need to be careful looking for "EATX" cases to fit a 13" wide motherboard like that  A lot of "EATX" cases will only accept boards up to about 10.7" wide or so (like some higher-end single-socket enthusiast boards), and thus are IMO incorrectly labeled as EATX compatible.

For example, I believe the Corsair 750D that @Masman8675 suggested would NOT fit the X8DTH-6F.  (Also I personally would not recommend a product that would require potentially-warranty-voiding modifications to work with another product, but maybe that's just me.)

True EATX is 13" wide, which is the same size as SSI EEB.  The 10.*" boards (and cases compatible with them) should, I think, be labeled something like "ATX+".  (BTW, SSI CEB is 10.5", similar to the ATX+ enthusiast boards I mentioned.)

Anyway, here's a USA-based (cause I don't see your location / country in your profile) pcpartpicker list, filtered to show cases with at least 1x 5.25" bay, compatible with SSI EEB, and filtering out ones without prices.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#G=1,12&sort=price&xcx=0&f=14&X=100,315006

The cheapest one I see is the $100 Rosewill Rise.  The Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG is $4 more, and if I was looking for a case like that, it's probably the one I would be more likely to get.

16 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Oh, thank you very much!  I was a bit skeptical on some “E-ATX” model cases really fitting it.  I had an EVGA board that had triple channel RAM and was classified as an E-ATX mobo.  Needless to say it was quite small in comparison to the SuperMicro lol. You have helped me greatly, likely saving me a headache or two.  Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Went with the Enthoo Pro.  I had ordered the RISE first, as it was on sale, but then found out there’s only 3 HDD bays so returned it.  The Enthoo is so much nicer, cable management is a dream, there’s tons of HDD bays, more 5.25’s, build quality is quite a bit better, and much better fan/rad mounting options.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 6:56 AM, Masman8675 said:

Went with the Enthoo Pro.  I had ordered the RISE first, as it was on sale, but then found out there’s only 3 HDD bays so returned it.  The Enthoo is so much nicer, cable management is a dream, there’s tons of HDD bays, more 5.25’s, build quality is quite a bit better, and much better fan/rad mounting options.

Awesome! :D next, post the obligatory pics of the setup? :D (can do it in another thread - I think there's a show off your setup thread somewhere.)

On 1/26/2020 at 9:46 AM, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Awesome! :D next, post the obligatory pics of the setup? :D (can do it in another thread - I think there's a show off your setup thread somewhere.)

So I shall.  Stay tuned. ;)