Need Suggestion for Future Phone

TukangUsapEmenq

Been using my Redmi 5A for a year and 8 months, and needs to change because the performance deteriorates already.

Been searching since yesterday, got both Samsung Galaxy M30 or Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 (or the upcoming 8 one).

My daily usage are just for social media, like Twitter or WhatsApp, and LINE. Usually opens 9GAG either. And I really do a lot of multitasking in between apps.

Sometimes I do some gaming, only for 2-3 hours a day when I'm bored, not that game freak on mobile tho.

Samsung's M30 got a nice battery of 5000 mAh, that's why it's my primary choice, and it's got AMOLED, which I will use dark themes and wallpapers, but I got interested in Redmi Note 7 or 8's SoC that got a better perfomance. Redmi Note 8 won't be released until next week tho.

Here's the comparison in GSMArena.

Need help to choose between both phones tho. Or any kind of suggestions are appreciated either.

Or if someone actually have the phone, u can tell the experience using it either.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

I would go for the samsung,

Phones these days are fast enough and you rarely notice a faster SOC unless you are gaming or something.

Compare that to the battery capacity difference that you will notice very often it's an easy choice imo.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

12 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I would go for the samsung,

Phones these days are fast enough and you rarely notice a faster SOC unless you are gaming or something.

Compare that to the battery capacity difference that you will notice very often it's an easy choice imo.

Differences are about 750-800 mAh tho, Samsung wins the battery, kinda significant but with 11 nm fabrication that Note 8 use, will it actually use it more efficiently? despite the higher clockspeed tho.

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Any of the devices you mentioned will be a huge upgrade over your 5A.

If you want the absolute best performance, then the RN8 is clearly ahead. You will probably only notice the difference in demanding games. It is also the better pick if you care about the camera, by far. Regardless, make sure the one you get is the 6GB model.

Kind of hard to make suggestions without knowing price/availability of phones in Indonesia. How much more is a Mi 9T compared to the RN8?

i dont really do game on phone tho, mostly on my laptop here lol. so probably samsung is good?

price differences (in 64 GB variant so it will fair enough) are between Rp 1.200.000 - 1.600.000, roughly US$ 84 to 113. Redmi Note 8 price are actually REALLY depends because the sales here depends on flash sale, and the stock always limited into few hundreds a day, which actually sucks because it made the prices in offline retailer a lot higher than the official price. 

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

7 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Differences are about 750-800 mAh tho, Samsung wins the battery, kinda significant but with 11 nm fabrication that Note 8 use, will it actually use it more efficiently? despite the higher clockspeed tho.

There is probably an efficiency difference, but if you are just casually scrolling around the SOC isn't pushed so it won't use a lot of power either. The thing that will use the most power is the screen. Turning the brightness up or down will have a bigger impact on battery life than the SOC.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon