Building my first PC

boggy77

Building a gaming PC, I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible, below £750. Country is UK. The RX 580 I will buy used from ebay for about £120.

Can you please let me know if I can optimise anything else? Thanks.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/XMJHNq

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£114.78 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£89.99 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£67.00 @ AWD-IT) 
Storage: *ADATA SU630 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£42.31 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£52.38 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 580 8 GB Red Dragon Video Card  (£162.48 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£44.88 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£63.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Monitor: *Acer ED242QR Abidpx 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  (£149.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £786.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I understand you're going for a budget build, but sometimes going too cheap will cost you more in the long run. I'd suggest to get yourself at least a GeForce RTX 2060 because (ray tracing) it will last years into the future. This RX 580 is a good card but you will prolly wanna upgrade in a few years whereas an RTX will last twice as long depending on the games you play.

I like to play games and eat cookies.

I also build and sell gaming computers.

Just now, prince10bee said:

I understand you're going for a budget build, but sometimes going too cheap will cost you more in the long run. I'd suggest to get yourself at least a GeForce RTX 2060 because (ray tracing) it will last years into the future. This RX 580 is a good card but you will prolly wanna upgrade in a few years whereas an RTX will last twice as long depending on the games you play.

Thanks, I was thinking just that. getting a used RX580 now and upgrading it again in 2 years or so.

Honestly it's not substantially different from the RX 480 so if money is tight a 480 isn't a bad option.

I like to play games and eat cookies.

I also build and sell gaming computers.

40 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Thanks. Is the MSI board not much better than the ASRock one, then? Also, Why is the AOC monitor better than the acer one?

i chose the aoc for lower pixel response time, the msi board is better, but this one is cheaper and can still handle the 2600 without problems

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i chose the aoc for lower pixel response time, the msi board is better, but this one is cheaper and can still handle the 2600 without problems

How does a MSI B450M-A PRO MAX mATX sound for £63? i saw on your mboard tier list it's higher up than the ASRock one.

44 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

How does a MSI B450M-A PRO MAX mATX sound for £63? i saw on your mboard tier list it's higher up than the ASRock one.

that's also a fair idea

and actually not bad far a max series

When MSI introduced a mikroATX "A-pro" board? I only knew about full ATX A-pro.

Btw, even though the VRM heatsink on asrock B450m pro4 is pretty capable, I'd rather go for some MSI board. Simply for the better OC-ing via their bios (more voltage range, LoadLineCalibration, more VRM phases). ;) 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

5 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

more VRM phases

yes and no

it's mostly because the pro4 is a double 3+3, and msi uses 4+2 on their boards

and pro4 can just do incredible things because it's otp isn't fully functional

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

yes and no

it's mostly because the pro4 is a double 3+3, and msi uses 4+2 on their boards

and pro4 can just do incredible things because it's otp isn't fully functional

I have a Pro4 board, and I was very pleased with its features. Currently out of use, but possibly I'll get some mATX case and build it with 2200 or 2400G. I always recommend Pro4 for APU-s, simply bc the three-phase SOC VRM, which can be nice to have for overclocking the IGP.

Not to mention, that the SOC VRM heatsink is also more massive, than on other boards in this class. :) 

2 hours ago, prince10bee said:

Ray Tracing is pointless though unless you have something like a 2080/2080 ti. Even at 1080p your fps is going to tank once you enable it.  

Right now 580 is still a capable card on 1080p. Even got better with new drivers. I wouldnt buy it though. I am just too obsessed with performance per watt values, and the RX radeon cards are subpar in that field.

9 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Right now 580 is still a capable card on 1080p. Even got better with new drivers. I wouldnt buy it though. I am just too obsessed with performance per watt values, and the RX radeon cards are subpar in that field.

What would you recommend instead?

Second hand 1070-1070ti. Or new 1660-1660ti if it's affordable. 

1070s go round 230usd locally, 1070ti mostly 270-300 usd. Both are good cards with less power consumption. I understand that Radeon cards are cheap, but their hunger is imho not acceptable. One can always fine tune them though ( undervolting) 

Id opt for second hand 1070 if i were You