Nvidia to Nvidia upgrade, any need to update drivers?

Bender Blues

So I'm going from a MSI Nvidia GTX 970 to a Nvidia 1070. I have the latest auto updated drivers from Nvidia. So just a swap of GPU's and no need to update the drivers is ok?

Thank You.

** Here on the West Coast USA **

No, even with an upgrade like this you need to uninstall the previous drivers (preferably via DDU or something similar) and afterwards install the new ones. There is still a lot different between those cards so a reinstall is necessary.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Just now, TomvanWijnen said:

No, even with an upgrade like this you need to uninstall the previous drivers (preferably via DDU or something similar) and afterwards install the new ones. There is still a lot different between those cards so a reinstall is necessary.

OK TY, I have DDU. Will do. TY 

btw - what would be different in those, they fall in the same 'group' of cards. Just wondering...

ty

7 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Incorrect. Both the 970 and 1070 use the exact same driver. Can just swap out the GPU and you're good to go. 

hell you could go from a GTX 660 right up to a 2080ti and have zero problems. That was one of the main reasons NVidia created their unified drivers.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

Incorrect. Both the 970 and 1070 use the exact same driver. Can just swap out the GPU and you're good to go. 

hell you could go from a GTX 660 right up to a 2080ti and have zero problems. That was one of the main reasons NVidia created their unified drivers.

Thats exactly what I was thinking, its the same package that falls into a mass amount of GPU's.

Thanks for the clarification. Hot swap, no fuss - just what I was hoping for. ?

You should have no problems.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, Bender Blues said:

So I'm going from a MSI Nvidia GTX 970 to a Nvidia 1070.

Yes, you'll need to DDU in safe mode and reinstall drivers fresh new because you're moving from one architecture to another, Maxwell - Pascal.

While the core driver is the same lots of entries changes and much more often than not this will break your performance.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

You dont have to as it will just work BUT to maximise performance you should DDU

I moved from 1070ti to 2070 super

at first I just swapped the cards

when doing 3d mark it was short of what I expected

after DDU it was a lot better

for the time it takes to do DDU - its a no brainer

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

I've found an in-place clean reinstall is sufficient. That is, after starting the nvidia install, select custom then tick the clean install box. No need to mess around with DDU unless your system is already messed up. Given they release game ready drivers all the time, it is also a chance to catch up if you weren't already.

If you don't reinstall it often just works, but Windows build in update function might interfere with that and/or you might have missing components.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible