ROG Zephyrus G GA502 - Asus frame drops in games

NESHAY

Hi Guys,

Glad to see I´m not the only one with this problem. I got my Ga502Du last Friday. I got one without OS, I installed a Windows 10 Pro on it, did all the updates and immidiately noticed the FPS on pubg on ultra go from 100-120 to 7-4fps. Very annoyed I´ve read the entire section here and on Day 1 have been trying the Ryzen Controller and ArmourCrate. With the fixes, I am somewhat able to get stable pubg match on low settings. It still lags every here and there. I´ve noticed thorttling even when using browser when it become irresopnsive for a second during most basic tasks. I see that you guys have been at it for a while and there´s no fix in sight. I guess I´ll be sending mine back.

I´m on Ryzen 7 2.3 with 16gb RAM & 1660 ti Max-Q.

Oh boy did I think I was going to have a fun gaming weekend :( 

UPDATE FROM PREVIOUS POST.

Please find my system settings attached, my current system is stable when gaming on Ultra settings, no signs on stuttering anymore.

The only time I would see my CPU drop to 400Mhz is when gaming on the battery below 50% (I believe this is just a power setting).

NOTE:

VRM is set to 30

CPU max temp set to 100

Ryzen Controller 03_02_2020 18_21_02.png

Ryzen Controller 03_02_2020 18_21_56.png

6 hours ago, xHyPnOtiZeDx said:

Hi Guys,

Glad to see I´m not the only one with this problem. I got my Ga502Du last Friday. I got one without OS, I installed a Windows 10 Pro on it, did all the updates and immidiately noticed the FPS on pubg on ultra go from 100-120 to 7-4fps. Very annoyed I´ve read the entire section here and on Day 1 have been trying the Ryzen Controller and ArmourCrate. With the fixes, I am somewhat able to get stable pubg match on low settings. It still lags every here and there. I´ve noticed thorttling even when using browser when it become irresopnsive for a second during most basic tasks. I see that you guys have been at it for a while and there´s no fix in sight. I guess I´ll be sending mine back.

I´m on Ryzen 7 2.3 with 16gb RAM & 1660 ti Max-Q.

Oh boy did I think I was going to have a fun gaming weekend :( 

Hi mate,

I've got the exact same laptop as you on the weekend, but applying the above settings in my post seems to have resolved the issue for me.

And I've not removed the black felt from the air vents.

Try those settings and let me know the results.

3 hours ago, xBrettx said:

Hi mate,

I've got the exact same laptop as you on the weekend, but applying the above settings in my post seems to have resolved the issue for me.

And I've not removed the black felt from the air vents.

Try those settings and let me know the results.

Doing it now!

3 minutes ago, xHyPnOtiZeDx said:

Doing it now!

Good luck

33 minutes ago, xBrettx said:

Good luck

I tried it, it seemed fine but then it came back with full force. Pubg Low settings, avg frames 90. and drops to 4fps. I want to cry

23 hours ago, xHyPnOtiZeDx said:

I tried it, it seemed fine but then it came back with full force. Pubg Low settings, avg frames 90. and drops to 4fps. I want to cry

That's disappointing mate.

Here is my BIOS version, hopefully you don't have the same!

491614000_SystemInformation04_02_202020_45_34.thumb.png.b37bb811ac7ce376c5bcaff166bd4885.png

@xBrettx and @xHyPnOtiZeDx I would advise returning these and getting a refund if possible.

@xHyPnOtiZeDx did you see my posts with graphs on the second page of this forum. Most most likely your CPU clock goes down to 400MHz when both CPU and NVIDIA GPU are under a load.

1 hour ago, NESHAY said:

@xBrettx and @xHyPnOtiZeDx I would advise returning these and getting a refund if possible.

@xHyPnOtiZeDx did you see my posts with graphs on the second page of this forum. Most most likely your CPU clock goes down to 400MHz when both CPU and NVIDIA GPU are under a load.

Hi @NESHAY

Thanks for your reply and advice.

For myself, I seemed to have resolved the issues, so for now I will avoid an RMA.

However, for @xHyPnOtiZeDx  sadly this could be the only resolution.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:55 PM, garethfunk said:

Okay interesting. So just for comparison can you tell me what FPS you get in FurMark on say "Preset:720" benchmark? 

Also, where did you install armoury crate from? The windows store?

I installed armoury crate service from the laptops page, and then the UI on the windows store which allows to switch from silent/normal/turbo mode. This alone and switching out of silent mode was enough to make it behave.

On 1/29/2020 at 12:42 AM, Siker said:

Not correct. It is not set by default to Silent mode when Armoury Crate not yet installed. When you get a fresh install, the laptop set itself to different modes in order on what are you running, so if you're running a game it presets itself to Turbo mode automatically.

When Armoury Crate installed the laptop behaves the same way, the only thing that this app gives you is to add a manual set to configure both CPU and GPU fans RPM, or force the laptop to wotk on Silent mode even if you're running a game. Nothing else. What actually """"""fixes""""" the throttling is a file called ThrottlingHelperXML, that is included in the same zip file from where you install ArmouryCrate v2.5.8

My unit doesn't throttle anymore, even if I play 8 hours in a row any gme at any graphic setting. Not sure what I've done exactly. The only issue I'm still getting in my case is shitty performance. For example, in Dishonored 2 I get only 82fps max on low preset with drops to 60-40fps wich is bullshit and makes it unplayable. And if I go all way up and crank the setting to Ultra I get the same performance as in low preset w 74fps max and same fps drops.

I don't know, as suggested on this article it stays on silent mode on Linux, and a new version will bring the ability to switch modes: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ASUS-TUF-Ryzen-Thermal-Fix

Or maybe like you say, it can switch modes, but it does it in a not very smart way...

4 hours ago, xBrettx said:

Hi @NESHAY

Thanks for your reply and advice.

For myself, I seemed to have resolved the issues, so for now I will avoid an RMA.

However, for @xHyPnOtiZeDx  sadly this could be the only resolution.

Im giving myself false hopes, there´s a new graphic driver from Nvidia released 2 days ago

25 minutes ago, xHyPnOtiZeDx said:

Im giving myself false hopes, there´s a new graphic driver from Nvidia released 2 days ago

@xHyPnOtiZeDx that sounds better than nothing!

Have you downloaded/installed it yet?

16 hours ago, xBrettx said:

@xHyPnOtiZeDx that sounds better than nothing!

Have you downloaded/installed it yet?

@xBrettx Yes I have, no change. seems like it made things worse. I´m sending this back today. I´ll be back with an update when I get the replacement. 

@xHyPnOtiZeDx  I hope you get your money back soon. I noticed the problem one or two days after starting this post and still have not gotten my money back.

I contacted ASUS support about my GPU problems and they recommended I return it. Sounds to them like faulty hardware.

So that's what I'm going to do!

8 hours ago, xHyPnOtiZeDx said:

@xBrettx Yes I have, no change. seems like it made things worse. I´m sending this back today. I´ll be back with an update when I get the replacement. 

Ah that's a shame mate.

Yeah let me know mate, I'm interested in what the next move is and their response to the RMA.

On 2/6/2020 at 11:44 AM, NESHAY said:

@xHyPnOtiZeDx  I hope you get your money back soon. I noticed the problem one or two days after starting this post and still have not gotten my money back.

Oh wow, that´s just not right. Amazon told me they would send replacement asap. I waited 3 days and called them as there was no updates. Apparently they forgot to inform me they will only send replacement once they receive my return laptop back becuase of the value of the item. Pure BS considering it´s not even that expensive. I´m going to send it tomorrow. 

ASUS support will not be able to assist you @garethfunk. I called them and started multiple tickets, I even shipped the device to Poland to the main ASUS lab\maintenance facility for whole Europe, and they returned it without doing anything to it.

@xHyPnOtiZeDx if Amazon does not want to give you a refund I home you will have more luck with the new unit or maybe try exchanging it with a different model, something with Intel processor maybe. 

On 2/7/2020 at 12:17 PM, xHyPnOtiZeDx said:

Oh wow, that´s just not right. Amazon told me they would send replacement asap. I waited 3 days and called them as there was no updates. Apparently they forgot to inform me they will only send replacement once they receive my return laptop back becuase of the value of the item. Pure BS considering it´s not even that expensive. I´m going to send it tomorrow. 

Hope it works mate.

Mine has seemed to be running fine, so fingers crossed.

I have a new bios  acquired from someone that got it through their Windows 10 update last month. Luck enough the file was still stored in his Windows directory and he shared it with us. It has yet to appear on the ASUS website or anywhere else that I could find. Haven't tested it much yet but no drops running in Turbo mode and even with the GPU slightly overclocked in MSI Afterburner. 

BIOS 300 Download    https://mega.nz/#!3QEl2ahQ!qFudfEssvaBEeJcQNRv7Kb6YpShqRVfEKsJ2fbuIUBU

BIOS Change Log 

unknown.png

8 hours ago, Bobbydigital said:

I have a new bios  acquired from someone that got it through their Windows 10 update last month. Luck enough the file was still stored in his Windows directory and he shared it with us. It has yet to appear on the ASUS website or anywhere else that I could find. Haven't tested it much yet but no drops running in Turbo mode and even with the GPU slightly overclocked in MSI Afterburner. 

BIOS 300 Download    https://mega.nz/#!3QEl2ahQ!qFudfEssvaBEeJcQNRv7Kb6YpShqRVfEKsJ2fbuIUBU

BIOS Change Log 

unknown.png

Would not download by any chance that BIOS. Highly recommend to wait official link from Asus.

7 hours ago, Siker said:

Would not download by any chance that BIOS. Highly recommend to wait official link from Asus.

It was released December 23 2019 so good luck with your waiting. ASUS has already messed up so bad with this laptop model and now they can't even push a BIOS update properly through Windows update. Even the last 208 BIOS that ASUS released was installed by Windows Update  and is still in my Windows folder. You don't wanna trust me no sweat off my back. 

image.thumb.png.09f6487fd3ebc94f0f02081e0ded7d23.png

image.thumb.png.67de13ebc6cfed9beb5c47af2e02071b.png

Old 208 BIOS update from Windows Update in my Windows folder

image.thumb.png.9e5f4d21b72630f8cabeb367ef0d310a.png

11 hours ago, Bobbydigital said:

It was released December 23 2019 so good luck with your waiting. ASUS has already messed up so bad with this laptop model and now they can't even push a BIOS update properly through Windows update. Even the last 208 BIOS that ASUS released was installed by Windows Update  and is still in my Windows folder. You don't wanna trust me no sweat off my back. 

image.thumb.png.09f6487fd3ebc94f0f02081e0ded7d23.png

image.thumb.png.67de13ebc6cfed9beb5c47af2e02071b.png

Old 208 BIOS update from Windows Update in my Windows folder

image.thumb.png.9e5f4d21b72630f8cabeb367ef0d310a.png

Has anyone else tried this? Been searching the web for some references on the 300 ver. of the BIOS, but couldn't find anything. @Bobbydigital do you have the link with the BIOS changelog? Thanks for your solution btw.

@mussifer Another user in the Ryzen Controller Discord has used it along with the guy who provided it for us. The BIOS change log is  in the little picture on my post with the BIOS link. With this BIOS I can actually overclock my GPU core by 200Mhz and GPU memory by 300Mhz and no need for Ryzen Controller anymore for me.  Getting the best benchmark results I've ever had too in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Geekbench and Cinebench R15. 

On 2/14/2020 at 10:17 PM, Bobbydigital said:

@mussifer Another user in the Ryzen Controller Discord has used it along with the guy who provided it for us. The BIOS change log is  in the little picture on my post with the BIOS link. With this BIOS I can actually overclock my GPU core by 200Mhz and GPU memory by 300Mhz and no need for Ryzen Controller anymore for me.  Getting the best benchmark results I've ever had too in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Geekbench and Cinebench R15. 

I started experiencing drops today after I thought it was stable. 

I might apply this bios update. 

Can you link me to the Discord chat, please?