Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NESHAY

ROG Zephyrus G GA502 - Asus frame drops in games

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, zZurf said:

Well I tried undervolting, put most of the nodes at around 1740mhz but it still throttled. Guess I'll stick with Ryzen controller.

Why would you go around 1740Mhz that clock speed is overvolting the GPU that's why it throttle. ASUS advertised this product 1435Mhz (GPU Boost Clock) but It's not stable. The stable GPU clock speed of this laptop is 1320Mhz like in the picture. Have you tried my settings yet? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zZurf said:

Well I tried undervolting, put most of the nodes at around 1740mhz but it still throttled. Guess I'll stick with Ryzen controller.

set it to like 1400-1300 like Zeirozh

he told me that 1400-1300Mhz is the most stable

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it normal that the AMD Vega graphic card goes with a 60% of usage when I run games? I found it so stupid, it shouldnt use any % of the integrated to run my games.... does it happen to you guys?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, can anyone pls tell me how much fps gets in Fortnite for average?? I get 150fps in average w constant drops to 100 fps...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 6:12 PM, Zeirozh said:

Tell me If It works for you guys. I'm here to help!

Anyways seems like ASUS removed this product on their websites or renamed it Zephyrus G15 with better specs coming with AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti / GeForce RTX 2060, IPS-level panel, 240Hz, 3ms, 100% sRGB and Intel Wi-Fi 6 with Gig+ performance (802.11ax).

 

Take a look: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-G15/Features/

@Zeirozh they haveent removed the GA502DU its a whole new product line now.
the GA502DU has even been given a new 240hz pantone validated adaptive sync etc display option but its still down on the website as an option.

 

It looks like the model series is being called G15 and is just gonna get 2 new 4th gen ryzen options as like a refresh with more features (i see the newer models have usbc PD and a 2060 option) 

this doesn't mean the GA502DU will be gotten rid off and forgotten, as i said they've given it a new display option, i compared the link to the UK ASUS page for the GA502DU and yeah no fancy new display option so prob just a product line refresh.

 

 

Also, anyone that's done the fan vent fix, have you guys still got issues? as i've had none since i removed the plastic and it all works fine but i have seen some people have had issues still.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 5:27 AM, Siker said:

Is it normal that the AMD Vega graphic card goes with a 60% of usage when I run games? I found it so stupid, it shouldnt use any % of the integrated to run my games.... does it happen to you guys?

@Siker Have you looked in the Nvidia control panel? I had to set the 1660ti to be the phyx processor which helped alot.
this also fixed issues i had with VR

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if doing the vent fix voids the warranty. It would be sad to do a fix for a broken product while still on warranty and lose it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 9:32 PM, lamername said:

I'm wondering if doing the vent fix voids the warranty. It would be sad to do a fix for a broken product while still on warranty and lose it.

Removing just the plastic doesn't avoid it, atleast it doesnt if your retailer is Amazon. If you furthermore remove the covers linked to the fans, you lose it. Ask the shop where you bought it about the plastic and decide if to do it or not. I actually do not recommend buying this shitty ass laptop or keeping it if you can actually claim a refund. Even when I do not have any issues anymore with thermal or cpu throttling (idk what I did to fix ot honestly, because i didnt remove the covers linked to the fans) without using MSI afterburner or Ryzen Controller but it still annoys me that Asus gives shit about everyone who bought this model and on top of it, it wont give any good fps in most games so I can't even enjoy the 120fps monitor. Hot useless garbage. Ffs, even Acer predator 300 w shittiest graphic card and cpu rocks up games more than mine, so fing sad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

I'm new here and I have recently purchased this laptop and been having similar issues. Thanks so much for your work to date - very helpful to me so far.

What I have found to fix the 0.4GHz clock issue is the following:

1) Bios 208

2) clean install (from new boot media, not a reset)

3) windows updates (notably one from ASUSTek labelled "firmware")

4) Chipset drivers Chipset_AMD_W10_64_V2520141501 (run the install.bat as admin - from asus website)

5) Nvidia driver 441.87-notebook-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql (from nvidia website)

6) Armoury crate service ArmouryCrateService_W10_64_V258 (ArmouryCrateSetup.exe  - from asus website)

 

The 0.39GHz problem goes away for good and I've done it twice in pursuit of my real problem which is terrible gaming performance. This laptop should be getting ~11,000 in firestrike at 1080p and I was getting less than 2,000 consistently even with CPU clock speed problem fixed. 

Digging a little deeper I find that, it is using the 1660Ti chip BUT the 1660Ti chip is only running at 300MHz according to furmark, afterburner and armoury crate. 

Why might that be? According to fur mark, power limit 1 is hit even on an 800x600 run pushing out ~25fps at 100% GPU load. Temps in the 50C range i.e. not hot and fans not even kicking in. 

 

I reckon therefore that there is a firmware power limit bug on 208 (tried 207 and 205 also, same problem). 

 

I'm torn here because the laptop should be pretty kick ass and it's just a firmware update away. Do I hang on? It clearly used to work in the past because of all the good reviews and benchmarks. Any tips for getting this through to ASUS tech support? Can't be bothered with the usual customer service BS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, garethfunk said:

Hi guys,

I'm new here and I have recently purchased this laptop and been having similar issues. Thanks so much for your work to date - very helpful to me so far.

What I have found to fix the 0.4GHz clock issue is the following:

1) Bios 208

2) clean install (from new boot media, not a reset)

3) windows updates (notably one from ASUSTek labelled "firmware")

4) Chipset drivers Chipset_AMD_W10_64_V2520141501 (run the install.bat as admin - from asus website)

5) Nvidia driver 441.87-notebook-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql (from nvidia website)

6) Armoury crate service ArmouryCrateService_W10_64_V258 (ArmouryCrateSetup.exe  - from asus website)

 

The 0.39GHz problem goes away for good and I've done it twice in pursuit of my real problem which is terrible gaming performance. This laptop should be getting ~11,000 in firestrike at 1080p and I was getting less than 2,000 consistently even with CPU clock speed problem fixed. 

Digging a little deeper I find that, it is using the 1660Ti chip BUT the 1660Ti chip is only running at 300MHz according to furmark, afterburner and armoury crate. 

Why might that be? According to fur mark, power limit 1 is hit even on an 800x600 run pushing out ~25fps at 100% GPU load. Temps in the 50C range i.e. not hot and fans not even kicking in. 

 

I reckon therefore that there is a firmware power limit bug on 208 (tried 207 and 205 also, same problem). 

 

I'm torn here because the laptop should be pretty kick ass and it's just a firmware update away. Do I hang on? It clearly used to work in the past because of all the good reviews and benchmarks. Any tips for getting this through to ASUS tech support? Can't be bothered with the usual customer service BS.

@garethfunk are you using the performance or Turbo profile on the laptop?

 

As i believe if its set to the silent one it will down clock it by quite alot

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rkes608 said:

@garethfunk are you using the performance or Turbo profile on the laptop?

 

As i believe if its set to the silent one it will down clock it by quite alot

It doesn't make a difference on my machine which profile I use. 

Besides, even with it slow fan speed causing it to clock down, I would still not expect to see it hit a power limit. Thermal, yes. Power, no. 

Also, 300MHz is WAY below base clock for this chip. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been reading and doing some testing, and seems like main issue with this laptop is: BIOS sets profile to silent on every reboot, which is broken and is not able to keep the laptop cool, so it gets throttled. On Windows fix is installing armoury crate and setting balanced or turbo profile, and on linux, control of profiles will come with kernel 5.6 (plus setting balanced by default on bootup).

Is this theory correct? Has anybody had problems when setting the profile out of silent mode on Windows? I installed Windows for the first time on this laptop and was having the exact same issues (maybe even worse) as Linux. I set the fans to balanced and no issues after that (both 207 & 208 BIOS version). Even played around 30 min of Dishonored 2 with relatively high settings, no sweat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lamername said:

I've been reading and doing some testing, and seems like main issue with this laptop is: BIOS sets profile to silent on every reboot, which is broken and is not able to keep the laptop cool, so it gets throttled. On Windows fix is installing armoury crate and setting balanced or turbo profile, and on linux, control of profiles will come with kernel 5.6 (plus setting balanced by default on bootup).

Is this theory correct? Has anybody had problems when setting the profile out of silent mode on Windows? I installed Windows for the first time on this laptop and was having the exact same issues (maybe even worse) as Linux. I set the fans to balanced and no issues after that (both 207 & 208 BIOS version). Even played around 30 min of Dishonored 2 with relatively high settings, no sweat.

Okay interesting. So just for comparison can you tell me what FPS you get in FurMark on say "Preset:720" benchmark? 

Also, where did you install armoury crate from? The windows store?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got two updates from ASUS through Windows Update:

ASUS - System  - 8/7/2019 12:00:00 AM 1.0.0.12

ASUSTek Computer Inc. - System - 2.2.2.0

 

FurMark still reporting that nvidia chip has hit power limit. No notable change in frame rates.

Edited by garethfunk
updated
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 6:14 PM, lamername said:

I've been reading and doing some testing, and seems like main issue with this laptop is: BIOS sets profile to silent on every reboot, which is broken and is not able to keep the laptop cool, so it gets throttled. On Windows fix is installing armoury crate and setting balanced or turbo profile, and on linux, control of profiles will come with kernel 5.6 (plus setting balanced by default on bootup).

Is this theory correct? Has anybody had problems when setting the profile out of silent mode on Windows? I installed Windows for the first time on this laptop and was having the exact same issues (maybe even worse) as Linux. I set the fans to balanced and no issues after that (both 207 & 208 BIOS version). Even played around 30 min of Dishonored 2 with relatively high settings, no sweat.

Not correct. It is not set by default to Silent mode when Armoury Crate not yet installed. When you get a fresh install, the laptop set itself to different modes in order on what are you running, so if you're running a game it presets itself to Turbo mode automatically.

 

When Armoury Crate installed the laptop behaves the same way, the only thing that this app gives you is to add a manual set to configure both CPU and GPU fans RPM, or force the laptop to wotk on Silent mode even if you're running a game. Nothing else. What actually """"""fixes""""" the throttling is a file called ThrottlingHelperXML, that is included in the same zip file from where you install ArmouryCrate v2.5.8

 

My unit doesn't throttle anymore, even if I play 8 hours in a row any gme at any graphic setting. Not sure what I've done exactly. The only issue I'm still getting in my case is shitty performance. For example, in Dishonored 2 I get only 82fps max on low preset with drops to 60-40fps wich is bullshit and makes it unplayable. And if I go all way up and crank the setting to Ultra I get the same performance as in low preset w 74fps max and same fps drops.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they soon launch a BIOS update, as they removed the G502DU drivers page and replaced it w/ the new G15 model

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 8:42 PM, Siker said:

Not correct. It is not set by default to Silent mode when Armoury Crate not yet installed. When you get a fresh install, the laptop set itself to different modes in order on what are you running, so if you're running a game it presets itself to Turbo mode automatically.

 

When Armoury Crate installed the laptop behaves the same way, the only thing that this app gives you is to add a manual set to configure both CPU and GPU fans RPM, or force the laptop to wotk on Silent mode even if you're running a game. Nothing else. What actually """"""fixes""""" the throttling is a file called ThrottlingHelperXML, that is included in the same zip file from where you install ArmouryCrate v2.5.8

 

My unit doesn't throttle anymore, even if I play 8 hours in a row any gme at any graphic setting. Not sure what I've done exactly. The only issue I'm still getting in my case is shitty performance. For example, in Dishonored 2 I get only 82fps max on low preset with drops to 60-40fps wich is bullshit and makes it unplayable. And if I go all way up and crank the setting to Ultra I get the same performance as in low preset w 74fps max and same fps drops.

Seems that you have found a real solution to the throttle problem. I can't seem to find the Armoury Crate v.2.5.8, just the v2.5.7, do you have the installer or a link so i can test it out? Thanks

 

EDIT: Found, just can't find the ThrottlingHelperXML file...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mussifer said:

Seems that you have found a real solution to the throttle problem. I can't seem to find the Armoury Crate v.2.5.8, just the v2.5.7, do you have the installer or a link so i can test it out? Thanks

 

EDIT: Found, just can't find the ThrottlingHelperXML file...

I can see a ThrottleGearXMLHelper.DLL file but installing this version of armory crate does not seem to fix the throttling for me. Even with ryzen controller I am throttling like crazy on battlefront 2 as soon as i start playing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mussifer said:

Seems that you have found a real solution to the throttle problem. I can't seem to find the Armoury Crate v.2.5.8, just the v2.5.7, do you have the installer or a link so i can test it out? Thanks

 

EDIT: Found, just can't find the ThrottlingHelperXML file...

I'm pretty sure its there, you just don't see it, send me a screenshot of the folder.

 

Anyways, u just have to run the install.bat w/ Admin.

 

Try this tweaks as well, use this command lines on the CMD (run it as administrator as well) and type this:

 

bcdedit /set disabledinamicticks yes

 

bcdedit /set useplatformclock no

 

Delete any previous Nvidia driver you have installed, even the one in Asus website is shit. Go yo Nvidia, search for the 441.41 drivers version of the 1660Ti laptop, download, then fresh install. It's one of the most stable versions for this graphic card.

 

For AMD driver, the best one is the oldest one on the Asus website. Download AMD cleanup utility yo remove any previous driver you had installed and then install the one i told you from Asus.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly the only thing I do is set the temp of ryzen controller to 70 and re-apply every 20 seconds. Fixes the throttling for me and I get very impressive performance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zZurf said:

Honestly the only thing I do is set the temp of ryzen controller to 70 and re-apply every 20 seconds. Fixes the throttling for me and I get very impressive performance. 

Have you run any benchmarks?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, garethfunk said:

Have you run any benchmarks?9

No but i get on avg 120 FPS on rainbow six, around 150ish FPS on Fifa (high settings), 90-110ish on F1 (High), around 60-70 on GTA V (Don't remember what settings) 

 

Note I did remove the back covers but I don't think that made too big of a difference. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just got this laptop on the weekend. 

 

I experienced frame drops on Apex Legends every 20 seconds or less. It would hit 80+ and then come to a slow stutter for a few seconds, making it unplayable. 

 

Since reading this article and a few others, I've managed to somewhat resolve the issue. 

 

I say somewhat because I've only been playing it casual throughout the day, and not had any frame drops or stutters yet. 

 

Troubleshooting completed.

 

1. Installed latest gforce drivers. 

2. Downloaded/Installed Ryzen Controller

3. Set my max cpu temp to 100 and ticked box

4. Applied settings

 

I will update the thread with my exact settings that I've applied. 

 

Note that I have not removed the air vent covers yet as not sure if this will void the warranty. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×