ROG Zephyrus G GA502 - Asus frame drops in games

NESHAY

Hi all,

I just bought ROG Zephyrus G GA502. Laptop came without OS installed. After signalling Windows 10 and all drivers I am experiencing frame drops in games.

I tried lowering the settings below what NVIDIA GeForece experience suggested but I still get the same issue. the game looks fine and runs fine for firs couple of minutes and the frame rate is decent but then it suddenly starts dropping from 60+ to less then 10 FPS. Games a I tested were COD BO4 and Warthunder. It the same issue with both games but BO4 is harder to play. I moved over from an older i5 and 750ti to this laptop hoping to have better gaming experience.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for what I should try or if you need any other info regarding this.

Than you in advanced. 

What are the thermals on it when it drops?

To me it sounds like the laptop is getting too hot and dropping clock speed to lower the temperature.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I am installing the MSI now and will see what happens with temps. i bought the laptop brand new out of the box two days ago.

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

then why didnt it come with an OS?

it did not come with OS, I installed and activated wind 10.

@TrigrH @mxk think you were right about the temp, anything I can try to make things smother?

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Hide the GPU stuff and show the CPU temp

GPU0 should be the integrate Vega GPU, I do not have CPUtemp in MSI fore some reason. I will repose the graph without GPU shortly 

2 minutes ago, NESHAY said:

GPU0 should be the integrate Vega GPU, I do not have CPUtemp in MSI fore some reason. I will repose the graph without GPU shortly 

in the settings you can tick and untick all that stuff

4 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

in the settings you can tick and untick all that stuff

I know but there is no CPU temp, I only have CPU clock and usage

CPU2.PNG

Just installed HWiNFO. CPU temp in HWiNFO is the same as GPU1 shown in MSI. Temp goes up to 95 deg. C and CPU goes down to 400 MHz on all cores.  More or less what first graph I posted is showing.  I am still opened for suggestions. 

I have tried reinstalling the windows and all drivers but still have the same issue. I did download and run Aida 64 stress test but did not experience similar issue wile running it. 

I am open to any suggestions ?

aida 64.PNG

might be just a bad chip. I have a Ga502 too but the first one i got i sent it for a ram upgrade and it turns out there was a hardware issue as the ram coudnt be recognized. 

so maybe a hardware problem. 

3 minutes ago, Wellingtonzed said:

might be just a bad chip. I have a Ga502 too but the first one i got i sent it for a ram upgrade and it turns out there was a hardware issue as the ram coudnt be recognized. 

so maybe a hardware problem. 

Thanks, I will see if I can RMA my unit.

did you add another ram ?

cause i have the same problem as you, and when i removed my 8gb ram, there's no drop again.

I have not RMAed it yet. I did run Aida 64 for a longer period of time after playing a game and it completely crashed, I did the test both on CPU and GPUs. I was able to see the same behavior like in the games. I reached out to ASUS support as well before I ask for an RMA. I might try removing 8GB of RAM.

Thanks for suggesting that.

How did it go by removing the RAM? I have the same issue and been trying many solutions (BIOS, chipset driver, armoury crate services...)without any success. Have you tried uninstalling the CPU driver as someone said on the other thread? Think i'm gonna try that next.

Just in case, you can reduce the throttling by activating the ryzen balanced Power Plan, because it sets the CPU freqs to 2.3 Ghz, without boosting. Therefore, performance is thrash but stable.

Let me know if you have any updates. 

29 minutes ago, mussifer said:

How did it go by removing the RAM? I have the same issue and been trying many solutions (BIOS, chipset driver, armoury crate services...)without any success. Have you tried uninstalling the CPU driver as someone said on the other thread? Think i'm gonna try that next.

Just in case, you can reduce the throttling by activating the ryzen balanced Power Plan, because it sets the CPU freqs to 2.3 Ghz, without boosting. Therefore, performance is thrash but stable.

Let me know if you have any updates. 

Uninstalling dervishes did not help I do have USA phone number I will call ASUS support on Monday. I did not try removing RAM since I don see a dedicated RAM bay on the bottom and I am afraid that I would not be able to RMA the laptop  or get my money back.

I had some success by going into power settings  and limiting max processor usage but that only postpones the issues. The weird thing is that when I change the minimum usage from 100% to 99% my max clock speed get stuck on 1700 MHz. I do not have any problems at that speed but most of the games I tried are unplayable with decent settings. Please try reducing minimum processor usage in windows power settings I am interested to see if what your clock speeds would be.

I would like to try that activating that power plan so If you have any steps on how to do so please post them them or post a link.

I also reached out to ROG and AMD forums but no replay on these at the time. You can maybe monitor them in case a solution pops up or note there so they can see that more then one person has the same issue if you want.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?114280-ROG-Zephyrus-G-GA502-Asus-frame-drops-in-games

https://community.amd.com/thread/244625 

Also I am not that familiar with laptops. 

Should laptops crash performing AIDA 64 stress test, or should they stay up and running if everything is fine with them in 99% of the cases?