Good light weight distro?

Hi all. I'm looking for a very light weight Linux distro to do nothing other than browse the internet with. At most, a few tabs in FireFox with one or two of those tabs with high res photos loading in, and a 1080p YouTube video. The machine is an older Asus x200ca with a Celeron 1007u, 2gbs of LPDDR3 (unknown speed), and a 120gb SSD. There's so much out there I just don't know what to use. I don't want anything like Ubuntu (which is actually what the machine came with). Just a tiny OS for one task. I have about a month and half to tinker with a bunch of different distros.

Thanks.

Maybe something like Debian with LXDE or XFCE as the desktop environment could work? Or you could try something like BunsenLabs Linux, which I've personally never tried, but it's Debian-based and ships with pre-configured Openbox as the desktop environment, and in my experience Openbox tends to be really lightweight.

Debian with LXQt, Linux Mint, Tiny Core Linux, and those are probably the best ones to try first

I would suggest manjaro lxde. If you have problem finding applications from the menu then you can install application finder.

13 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

I don't really want to turn this into a Chromebook, and I've messed with Androidx86 before. They're okay, but not what I'm looking for here. Thanks for the suggestions though.

There's always sparkylinux or solyd x/l too, the xfce/lxde/lxqt desktops are pretty lite.

If you really want something that can only browse the web, https://porteus-kiosk.org is good

Dive into tiling goodness yet? (or hell)

https://manjaro.org/download/community/i3/

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

What about Xubuntu? It is Ubuntu but with XFCE as it's Desktop Environment.

It feels really snappy, is easy to use and uses only 600MB of RAM out of the box.

Among the other good recommendations, I'd also recommend Lubuntu, as the desktop environment (LXDE/LXQT) it ships with is by nature lightweight.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:09 PM, TempestCatto said:

Hi all. I'm looking for a very light weight Linux distro to do nothing other than browse the internet with. At most, a few tabs in FireFox with one or two of those tabs with high res photos loading in, and a 1080p YouTube video. The machine is an older Asus x200ca with a Celeron 1007u, 2gbs of LPDDR3 (unknown speed), and a 120gb SSD. There's so much out there I just don't know what to use. I don't want anything like Ubuntu (which is actually what the machine came with). Just a tiny OS for one task. I have about a month and half to tinker with a bunch of different distros.

Thanks.

https://xubuntu.org/requirements/

https://lubuntu.me

I havent used the distros myself, but they are Ubuntu based, just using a light weight desktop environment. Ubuntu is farily easy to use. Id say they should be as well. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.