Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AlexTheGreatish

The Best Console (is a PC)

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVME M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Yamaha HPH-MT5 headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

"the best console is a PC" ... no shit :P

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w | VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma |

GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC w/OC & Barrow Block | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P |

What? We can only have one console or something? People don't be so narrow minded enjoy other gaming platforms.

Pixel Collider i9 9900k | Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Corsair AX 860 | Corsair Vengance LPX 16Gb 3200 Mhz | Corsair 760t | Noctua NH-D15S | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB |Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, Samsung 840 EVO 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb, WD Caviar Black 4Tb, WD Caviar Black 1Tb | (3) Noctua NF-A14 FLX, (2) Noctua NF-A15 chromax.black.swap (1) Noctua NF-S12A, (1) NF-A15 PWM,  Noctua NA-HC3 chromax.black.swap heatsink covers

16 hours ago, Zberg said:

I

Furthermore:  They are making content that is free for you to watch.  In which, they are giving away a sweet PC and games, that you have a FREE chance to win.  Free content for you all around.  And it was an entertaining video to watch.  Please get over yourself with your pearl clutching, and honestly you should apologize for your poor behavior and pants sh*tting.  Take a xanax or antidepressant and stop with the manufactured outrage.  

In the video Linus says their build is just 500$ more than a current gen console. Nothing they do gives them the right to spread misinformation. I rather think he simply didn´t know how much the actual cost was or that he gave out that as a limit and no one told him they went over it. Yes, you can easily find that out for yourself, but instead of wasting time i rather get the right info. And please stop that "they do it for us attitude" it´s a company and they work for money.

I like both consoles and this PC because they kind of follow the Unix philosophy (do one thing and do it well), but neither make much sense to invest money in on your own pricewise. Sure, if you've got both money and time to waste, you can just get a PC and all consoles and all games in existence, but personally I've got neither to waste, so I'm just staying with a Linux PC that can emulate older games reasonably well.

But I agree that this thing is, if you get it for free as a giveaway, the best console.

7 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

In the video Linus says their build is just 500$ more than a current gen console. Nothing they do gives them the right to spread misinformation. I rather think he simply didn´t know how much the actual cost was or that he gave out that as a limit and no one told him they went over it. Yes, you can easily find that out for yourself, but instead of wasting time i rather get the right info. And please stop that "they do it for us attitude" it´s a company and they work for money.

I didnt say they do it for us.  I said they made a video he got to watch for free, and did a giveaway he had a free chance at winning; nothing they did hurt this poor soul in any way despite their outrage.  They get paid by their sponsors, we get to watch the video.  It's a win win for all involved.  I support them making fun videos to watch and getting paid by sponsors, clicks, what have you.  Its a good thing.  So ya, he can put aside his butt-hurt outrage and forget about his "apology to the tech community at large".  I dont know how the internet creates these angry, super easily offended people.  

And the reason the price is astronomically huge is they decked it out.  Forego the very expensive (but cool) case, the expensive SSD, and put in a budget processor and GPU, and you can easily be in that price range.  You can get a cheaper version of every piece of their system, put it together and beat a console in bang for buck now that RAM is way cheaper, and ryzen chips are a phenomenal value.  

Main PC:  i9-9900k, Noctua D15 (+chromax!), z390 Gigabyte Aorus Master, 32 gb corsair LPX 3000 mHz, Strix RTX 2080 ti, Samsung 970 evo 500GB, 970 evo+ 1Tb, Seagate 3 Tb HDD, Fractal Define R6, EVGA 850w PSU.  Sennheiser HD 6XX headphones (w/ soundblaster G6 DAC/amp), yeti mic, Bose desk speakers.  Ducky One-2 mini + logitech G403 Hero

Work PC: Ryzen 2700x, wraith prism cooler, ASrock B450 mini-itx, 32 gb corsair LPX 3000 mHz, F.E. RTX 2070, Samsung QVO 1Tb, WD blue 1Tb, InWin A1 plus black case, 650w gold PSU (included w/ case).  Sennheiser PC37x.  Ducky One-2 mini + logitech G403 Hero

esports LAN on the cheap: Ryzen 2200g, ASrock B450 mini-itx, 16 gb corsair LPX 2400 mHz, EVGA GTX 760, WD blue 1Tb m.2, Silverstone ML08, Corsair SF450w.  Steelseries arctis headphones.  Any mouse and keyboard someone has sitting around.

On 10/18/2019 at 2:16 AM, GeminiJ13 said:

LTT Media Group could also have run the contest solely based on the comments section from within their video.  I've seen this done MANY times by other YouTubers.

there's also people like me that are on computers that block the comments section but not gleam.io

i also think that sifting through comments to find the entries would be hard

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // FAQ

If you want to make a thread, check if there is another related thread first.

Don't be a light theme peasant

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE

Even if you go bigger case, wich would totally make this build useless, the whole point here is the formfactor, and a normal SSD you are about 1000€ away from a console. Xbox 300€ PS4 400€. And you end up with a blower style GPU with only 6GB. To top it off you can´t even watch DVD/BR with it.  @Zberg

And yes it euros. In $ it´s even more of a difference.

6 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Even if you go bigger case, wich would totally make this build useless, the whole point here is the formfactor, and a normal SSD you are about 1000€ away from a console. Xbox 300€ PS4 400€. And you end up with a blower style GPU with only 6GB. To top it off you can´t even watch DVD/BR with it.  @Zberg

And yes it euros. In $ it´s even more of a difference.

This is in an actual silverstone HTPC case, not too much bigger than a console (ML08 is the same price and even more console sized).  Could go in a console table under the TV in a living room, and unplug it take it on the go, make it a LAN PC, take it off to college and do some productivity work, learn how to use photoshop, premiere, stream etc. 

Compared to a PS4 pro: Same storage space (in an SSD - so much faster, better), better CPU, 2x the RAM, better GPU (PS4 pro equiv is basically an rx 480).  Would get better FPS, more versatile, so much better all around.  And you could add a DVD/BR drive to it if you wanted to (but it is 2019, I literally haven't picked up a physical disk in about 2 years...dont think anyone is clamoring for disk drives, and next gen consoles will eventually abandon them for USB drives or DL's).  

642 vs 400 USD is nowhere near "1000 euro away" its about 200 euros.  Again, what they did is a decked out amazing version of what you CAN do with a HTPC / console PC (many many fold better than current consoles, it should be reiterated).  It can be done much cheaper. I can do it even cheaper than the above build (with parts right on par instead of much better than a console), and if you let me use ebay, I could do it at the cost of a console.   And when games get more taxing in the future, and your FPS slows down, you can plop a new GPU in to that PCIe slot and be on your way without a fuss.  

At least for right now with RAM back to normal prices and GPU mining craze over, you can blow away the value of a console with a PC build. 

Main PC:  i9-9900k, Noctua D15 (+chromax!), z390 Gigabyte Aorus Master, 32 gb corsair LPX 3000 mHz, Strix RTX 2080 ti, Samsung 970 evo 500GB, 970 evo+ 1Tb, Seagate 3 Tb HDD, Fractal Define R6, EVGA 850w PSU.  Sennheiser HD 6XX headphones (w/ soundblaster G6 DAC/amp), yeti mic, Bose desk speakers.  Ducky One-2 mini + logitech G403 Hero

Work PC: Ryzen 2700x, wraith prism cooler, ASrock B450 mini-itx, 32 gb corsair LPX 3000 mHz, F.E. RTX 2070, Samsung QVO 1Tb, WD blue 1Tb, InWin A1 plus black case, 650w gold PSU (included w/ case).  Sennheiser PC37x.  Ducky One-2 mini + logitech G403 Hero

esports LAN on the cheap: Ryzen 2200g, ASrock B450 mini-itx, 16 gb corsair LPX 2400 mHz, EVGA GTX 760, WD blue 1Tb m.2, Silverstone ML08, Corsair SF450w.  Steelseries arctis headphones.  Any mouse and keyboard someone has sitting around.

Ahh now you went from "take a cheaper case and a normal ssd" to "make completly different build" dude seriously? ofc it gets cheaper if you use outdated parts. Meh. why do i even bother. And their build is still more than 1000$ more expensive and not 500 like said in the vid.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:25 AM, pApA^LeGBa said:

ofc it gets cheaper if you use outdated parts.

not to bash on consoles, but the current consoles are outdated parts........

43 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

not to bash on consoles, but the current consoles are outdated parts........

And the funniest part is, they're not necessarily cheaper

Ballz 3D is the greatest videogame ever made.

--

Space heater PC specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 || GPU: PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 550 4GB (640SP) || Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX/BR || Storage: 2x 500GB HDD || Memory: 8GB DDR3 (2x 4GB 1600MHz) || PSU: CORSAIR VS500 (2017) || Case: TGT Stryker Mid Tower || Keyboard & Mouse: OEX Cobby, Fortrek Spider 2.

28 minutes ago, Tegos said:

And the funniest part is, they're not necessarily cheaper

Well...... Yes and no. For what they offer, consoles are very cheap.

We all wish PC Gaming was cheap compared to consoles. But that is not true. Game prices can´t close that difference. The cheapest PC i can build for "gaming" is about 400€ without WIN and games, keyboard/mouse and speakers. No ODD for watching movies either. And you won´t beat any console with that.  Especially not with next gen coming up 2020.

Then there is gamepass or how it is called, 100 games for 10 bucks a month. So a year on console including Games costs you 420€. You can´t even boot the cheapest Gaming PC for that price. A decent PC for FHD Gaming where you don´t have to bother with quality adjustments too much is at least 800€ plus 100 for Win and peripherals. That´s more than 5 years of console gaming before you even buy your first game for your PC,

Also another thing they got wrong in the video is that there is no sale for games on console. That´s simply not true. Took me 2 min to find that out.

I like PC gaming. I don´t own any console. But this video actually doesn´t do pc gaming a favor with those wrong facts. Be it because they were sloppy in their research or on purpose.

pApA,

I have read some of your replies and have some suggestions.  

1. Learn math.

2. Watch and listen to the whole video.  Linus said this gaming PC is about 500 USD more than a gaming console. 

3. You don't need to have to heavy specs to play the games you are getting from GOG.  

4.  You might be able to play some newer games but never did he say that it will play all modern games.

5. If yo have problems with this program, you can stop watching so you won't get upset.

6. Thank you for dragging me out of the eves, I prefer to watch, listen and learn.  Which because of you I had to come into the light and correct you.

Linus, Linus media group, and other people. I want to apologize for losing my cool, but after reading what pApA was saying, I had to come down from the rafters, sorry I don't do closets, can't see, hear, or learn in there. I did not mean to criticize him or anybody else.  He just seems to want to be argumentative and it annoyed me greatly.

@David A. Holloway

1) Learn to not trust what a youtuber says without checking for yourself. Because:

2) The PC in the vid is nearly 2000$. That´s like 1600$ more than a console. (been confirmed in this thread already. Reading before posting helps)

3) True. But Games from GoG also get more demanding as time passes. Right now you might be ok with a 500$ PC for GoG Games. Next year it might not be enough anymore. I saw witcher in there, good luck with a 500$ PC for this game. And a console can play modern titles aswell. So for the PC beeing the better console it better be a good one.

4) See 3)

5) So only agreement allowed? Oh boy. Not gonna go into detail but that is one of the worst mindsets you can have. That´s not how things work. You make things public, you gotta live with people not liking it. And i am pretty sure Linus would agree with me here.

6) Don´t blame me dude, you are a grown man. Control yourself.

It´s a fact. Console gaming is cheaper. Like said, i can buy an xbox including a game for 249€ (Yes price changed since my last post). Gamepass for 3 years including Xbox-live and a ton of games: 120€ per year. That´s 610€ for 3 years of console gaming.