The Best Console (is a PC)

AlexTheGreatish
16 hours ago, Zberg said:

I

Furthermore:  They are making content that is free for you to watch.  In which, they are giving away a sweet PC and games, that you have a FREE chance to win.  Free content for you all around.  And it was an entertaining video to watch.  Please get over yourself with your pearl clutching, and honestly you should apologize for your poor behavior and pants sh*tting.  Take a xanax or antidepressant and stop with the manufactured outrage.  

In the video Linus says their build is just 500$ more than a current gen console. Nothing they do gives them the right to spread misinformation. I rather think he simply didn´t know how much the actual cost was or that he gave out that as a limit and no one told him they went over it. Yes, you can easily find that out for yourself, but instead of wasting time i rather get the right info. And please stop that "they do it for us attitude" it´s a company and they work for money.

I like both consoles and this PC because they kind of follow the Unix philosophy (do one thing and do it well), but neither make much sense to invest money in on your own pricewise. Sure, if you've got both money and time to waste, you can just get a PC and all consoles and all games in existence, but personally I've got neither to waste, so I'm just staying with a Linux PC that can emulate older games reasonably well.

But I agree that this thing is, if you get it for free as a giveaway, the best console.

7 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

In the video Linus says their build is just 500$ more than a current gen console. Nothing they do gives them the right to spread misinformation. I rather think he simply didn´t know how much the actual cost was or that he gave out that as a limit and no one told him they went over it. Yes, you can easily find that out for yourself, but instead of wasting time i rather get the right info. And please stop that "they do it for us attitude" it´s a company and they work for money.

I didnt say they do it for us.  I said they made a video he got to watch for free, and did a giveaway he had a free chance at winning; nothing they did hurt this poor soul in any way despite their outrage.  They get paid by their sponsors, we get to watch the video.  It's a win win for all involved.  I support them making fun videos to watch and getting paid by sponsors, clicks, what have you.  Its a good thing.  So ya, he can put aside his butt-hurt outrage and forget about his "apology to the tech community at large".  I dont know how the internet creates these angry, super easily offended people.  

And the reason the price is astronomically huge is they decked it out.  Forego the very expensive (but cool) case, the expensive SSD, and put in a budget processor and GPU, and you can easily be in that price range.  You can get a cheaper version of every piece of their system, put it together and beat a console in bang for buck now that RAM is way cheaper, and ryzen chips are a phenomenal value.  

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

On 10/18/2019 at 2:16 AM, GeminiJ13 said:

LTT Media Group could also have run the contest solely based on the comments section from within their video.  I've seen this done MANY times by other YouTubers.

there's also people like me that are on computers that block the comments section but not gleam.io

i also think that sifting through comments to find the entries would be hard

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

On 10/17/2019 at 9:05 PM, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Technically speaking, all consoles are computers.

You are right?

Even if you go bigger case, wich would totally make this build useless, the whole point here is the formfactor, and a normal SSD you are about 1000€ away from a console. Xbox 300€ PS4 400€. And you end up with a blower style GPU with only 6GB. To top it off you can´t even watch DVD/BR with it.  @Zberg

And yes it euros. In $ it´s even more of a difference.

6 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Even if you go bigger case, wich would totally make this build useless, the whole point here is the formfactor, and a normal SSD you are about 1000€ away from a console. Xbox 300€ PS4 400€. And you end up with a blower style GPU with only 6GB. To top it off you can´t even watch DVD/BR with it.  @Zberg

And yes it euros. In $ it´s even more of a difference.

This is in an actual silverstone HTPC case, not too much bigger than a console (ML08 is the same price and even more console sized).  Could go in a console table under the TV in a living room, and unplug it take it on the go, make it a LAN PC, take it off to college and do some productivity work, learn how to use photoshop, premiere, stream etc. 

Compared to a PS4 pro: Same storage space (in an SSD - so much faster, better), better CPU, 2x the RAM, better GPU (PS4 pro equiv is basically an rx 480).  Would get better FPS, more versatile, so much better all around.  And you could add a DVD/BR drive to it if you wanted to (but it is 2019, I literally haven't picked up a physical disk in about 2 years...dont think anyone is clamoring for disk drives, and next gen consoles will eventually abandon them for USB drives or DL's).  

642 vs 400 USD is nowhere near "1000 euro away" its about 200 euros.  Again, what they did is a decked out amazing version of what you CAN do with a HTPC / console PC (many many fold better than current consoles, it should be reiterated).  It can be done much cheaper. I can do it even cheaper than the above build (with parts right on par instead of much better than a console), and if you let me use ebay, I could do it at the cost of a console.   And when games get more taxing in the future, and your FPS slows down, you can plop a new GPU in to that PCIe slot and be on your way without a fuss.  

At least for right now with RAM back to normal prices and GPU mining craze over, you can blow away the value of a console with a PC build. 

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

Ahh now you went from "take a cheaper case and a normal ssd" to "make completly different build" dude seriously? ofc it gets cheaper if you use outdated parts. Meh. why do i even bother. And their build is still more than 1000$ more expensive and not 500 like said in the vid.

So.... Now that the entries are closed... When is the winner going to be anounced?? ??

On 10/21/2019 at 11:25 AM, pApA^LeGBa said:

ofc it gets cheaper if you use outdated parts.

not to bash on consoles, but the current consoles are outdated parts........

28 minutes ago, Tegos said:

And the funniest part is, they're not necessarily cheaper

Well...... Yes and no. For what they offer, consoles are very cheap.

We all wish PC Gaming was cheap compared to consoles. But that is not true. Game prices can´t close that difference. The cheapest PC i can build for "gaming" is about 400€ without WIN and games, keyboard/mouse and speakers. No ODD for watching movies either. And you won´t beat any console with that.  Especially not with next gen coming up 2020.

Then there is gamepass or how it is called, 100 games for 10 bucks a month. So a year on console including Games costs you 420€. You can´t even boot the cheapest Gaming PC for that price. A decent PC for FHD Gaming where you don´t have to bother with quality adjustments too much is at least 800€ plus 100 for Win and peripherals. That´s more than 5 years of console gaming before you even buy your first game for your PC,

Also another thing they got wrong in the video is that there is no sale for games on console. That´s simply not true. Took me 2 min to find that out.

I like PC gaming. I don´t own any console. But this video actually doesn´t do pc gaming a favor with those wrong facts. Be it because they were sloppy in their research or on purpose.

pApA,

I have read some of your replies and have some suggestions.  

1. Learn math.

2. Watch and listen to the whole video.  Linus said this gaming PC is about 500 USD more than a gaming console. 

3. You don't need to have to heavy specs to play the games you are getting from GOG.  

4.  You might be able to play some newer games but never did he say that it will play all modern games.

5. If yo have problems with this program, you can stop watching so you won't get upset.

6. Thank you for dragging me out of the eves, I prefer to watch, listen and learn.  Which because of you I had to come into the light and correct you.

Linus, Linus media group, and other people. I want to apologize for losing my cool, but after reading what pApA was saying, I had to come down from the rafters, sorry I don't do closets, can't see, hear, or learn in there. I did not mean to criticize him or anybody else.  He just seems to want to be argumentative and it annoyed me greatly.

@David A. Holloway

1) Learn to not trust what a youtuber says without checking for yourself. Because:

2) The PC in the vid is nearly 2000$. That´s like 1600$ more than a console. (been confirmed in this thread already. Reading before posting helps)

3) True. But Games from GoG also get more demanding as time passes. Right now you might be ok with a 500$ PC for GoG Games. Next year it might not be enough anymore. I saw witcher in there, good luck with a 500$ PC for this game. And a console can play modern titles aswell. So for the PC beeing the better console it better be a good one.

4) See 3)

5) So only agreement allowed? Oh boy. Not gonna go into detail but that is one of the worst mindsets you can have. That´s not how things work. You make things public, you gotta live with people not liking it. And i am pretty sure Linus would agree with me here.

6) Don´t blame me dude, you are a grown man. Control yourself.

It´s a fact. Console gaming is cheaper. Like said, i can buy an xbox including a game for 249€ (Yes price changed since my last post). Gamepass for 3 years including Xbox-live and a ton of games: 120€ per year. That´s 610€ for 3 years of console gaming.

7 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Should know by tomorrow

thanks excited to see who won that beast

I'm pricing parts for a new build currently.  I'm really in love with this compact form factor.  But after already purchasing a 2080 that was on clearance on best buy.  I realized my mistake immediately.   The EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 spans three slots..  THREE SLOTS.  The case used here will not work for me.  Does anyone have any idea what case i could use that would allow a my video card to slip into and still retain a low form factor with the rest of the components?

pApA, 

1. I apologize for not responding.  I had major back surgery a year ago and I have been in major pain since.

2. I priced out the system and came close around their price.

3. I sit in the background observing people and I learn more than you think.

4. Winning a system like this for me would be ideal.  I am not into most modern games.  So using this while trying to recovery would be very ideal for me.

5. My own system is getting outdated. Don't ask for exact specs because I don't remember all details, but I think this wat I got.  Ogh yeah, I built it in 2016.

A. Rocket fish case, full tower.

B. 2x4gb memory. I think its 1600mhz. It was close to the bottom of the stack.

C. Amd FX 4350 processor, I think, its been hard to get to my system.

D. WD 120ssd

E. Sont Bluray burner, yes I am old school. Considering I am 50.

F. AND R5 250 or 270, but that's failiing apart, do to bracket problems.

G. I think I have a WiFi card

H. I know I have a mechnical drive, I know its in the TB range but no idea as to much more.

I. I have an old Sony Bravia TV screen as my monitor.

Look at that, it's 2011 and it's my pill time.

On 10/25/2019 at 10:24 PM, pApA^LeGBa said:

@David A. Holloway

1) Learn to not trust what a youtuber says without checking for yourself. Because:

2) The PC in the vid is nearly 2000$. That´s like 1600$ more than a console. (been confirmed in this thread already. Reading before posting helps)

3) True. But Games from GoG also get more demanding as time passes. Right now you might be ok with a 500$ PC for GoG Games. Next year it might not be enough anymore. I saw witcher in there, good luck with a 500$ PC for this game. And a console can play modern titles aswell. So for the PC beeing the better console it better be a good one.

4) See 3)

5) So only agreement allowed? Oh boy. Not gonna go into detail but that is one of the worst mindsets you can have. That´s not how things work. You make things public, you gotta live with people not liking it. And i am pretty sure Linus would agree with me here.

6) Don´t blame me dude, you are a grown man. Control yourself.

It´s a fact. Console gaming is cheaper. Like said, i can buy an xbox including a game for 249€ (Yes price changed since my last post). Gamepass for 3 years including Xbox-live and a ton of games: 120€ per year. That´s 610€ for 3 years of console gaming.

You... Do get that the SSD in there itself is around $500 and you can choose something way cheaper? And if you wanna know, I can play The Witcher 3 on my GTX 1050 (yes, the regular 1050), Pentium G4560 (bought after it was out for a month I think) and 8GB of RAM. On the high settings if I want to lock on 30 FPS for "console experience". Hell, I even have a PS4 pad for that. It's a crappy PC nowadays, bought when I just needed something new (almost a year after The Witcher 3 came out as well).
Also a regular PS4 is already struggling with new titles that are coming out now and even a year ago (RDR2, Metro Exodus, even something so simple as Borderlands 3. Hell, even God of War have troubles hitting these 30 FPS at all times). I am really worried what will happen with titles like Cyberpunk 2077. PS4 Pro came out for a reason.
Yes, console gaming is cheaper. It always has been. But with consoles looking and working more and more like a PC, with a "Pro" version, it's not that obvious. And PC parts are getting cheaper! Look no further than AMD - they provide you very good performance for the money you pay, even their RX 5XXX series is looking very good now and is more than enough to play at 1080p, high with 60 FPS (most of the time, poorly optimized PC ports still happen). It's no longer some kind of forbidden luxury as long as you have a job. It's still more expensive, but not nearly as bad as you claim it to be.

And look at that, they have a Dri e 205$ from Newegg.  So instead of bashing g everyone. Do your own homework. 2tb NVME not SSD.