Overclocking TV (Samsung Q60)

joev14

Hey all,

A week or so ago I made a post mentioning that I'm in the market for some new tech to replace my old stuff sometime late next year, once I graduate college and have a full time paycheck to help with some bigger purchases. First on the docket is a Playstation 5 and a new 4K TV to go with it. I'm currently leaning towards a 43" Samsung Q60. My budget is $500, and this one seems to be the best in that category. I was getting all excited about all the features, when I noticed to my chagrin that the 43" and 50" models don't have freesync or 120hz like their bigger brothers do. With the 55" model being the smallest one to include these features, and it being $800, I'm trying to find a cheaper way to get the features I want.

I recall watching one of Linus' videos on overclocking larger monitors to slightly above their advertised refresh rate. I don't expect to bang out the full 120hz of its larger sibling, but I'm wondering if it's possible to hit 90hz. I've been hearing that the Playstation 5 will support 120hz (I'm going to guess it'll be at 1080p), and I'd like to be able to take advantage of this. Truthfully I'm not super well versed in how freesync works, but my thinking is that despite the TV being smaller, it should have most of the same display tech inside, it's just not certified by Samsung, right?

Looking for some suggestions or thoughts. Also curious if there's a chance with the new Playstation coming out, if TV manufacturers will churn out some newer TV's with 120hz enabled for smaller sized sets. Alternatively, if anyone knows of a decent TV that's under $500 that will support freesync and 120hz, I'd be interested in taking a look at it. Thanks all!

Overclocking displays needs to be done in the GPU control panel.

This is not possible on a console.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Console cant do it, PC can. BUT TVs very rarely can handle being OCed, many cant even OC by 1 frame.

Unfortunately the TV industry limits their high quality and feature rich displays to 55"+. You wont find many good displays below that size, and as far as i know, there are no sub 55" displays capable of 120hz even at 1080p.

However u can get a monitor meeting ur requirements.

A 43" Monitor like the XG438Q ROG STRIX. Its a 4k 120hz 43" Monitor. its new, and costs a little over £1100.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

5 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Console cant do it, PC can. BUT TVs very rarely can handle being OCed, many cant even OC by 1 frame.

Unfortunately the TV industry limits their high quality and feature rich displays to 55"+. You wont find many good displays below that size, and as far as i know, there are no sub 55" displays capable of 120hz even at 1080p.

However u can get a monitor meeting ur requirements.

A 43" Monitor like the XG438Q ROG STRIX. Its a 4k 120hz 43" Monitor. its new, and costs a little over £1100.

Unfortunately that seems to be quite above my price range. I was looking at the Samsung RU8000, which I can get in 55" class for $700. Still more than I wanted to spend, but more reasonable. It also seems to have very few drawbacks in comparison to the Q60.

I do have to wonder if when the PS4 and Xbox Scarlett arrive, having both been advertised to be capable of running 120hz 1080p at the very least, if TV manufacturers will start shelling out more size variety of TV's that can handle this. Do you think there's a good chance? Or will Samsung and Sony just take advantage of this to get you to purchase their 55" and up models?