Adding 1 8GB Stick to a system with 2x4GB Stick

So here's the situation, I have a MSI Z97 Gaming5 Motherboard with 2x4GB sticks of DDR3 2400Mhz Ram. I've found the same branded ram but it's all 8GB Sticks. 

So if I add the one 8GB stick to the motherboard, will there be any major performance hit? Thank you. 

(I do plan on getting a second 8GB stick but that'll be a while)

2 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Worst case scenario it’ll run all the sticks in single channel. More likely it’ll just run the 2x4gb as one channel and the 8gb as another 

not ideal but it’ll work

Is the performance hit going to affect a lot? I should note that I don't play games. It's mostly a LOT of chrome tabs and development. 

1 minute ago, Genwyn said:

In some really ram heavy applications, should you lose dual channel functionality, you might notice things slow down.

But it wouldn’t be the most severe. 
Most higher end motherboards don’t have an issue with mismatched ram channels, it should remain dual channel without issue.

Sounds good. And when I get a second 8gm ram, everything should go back to normal correct? Thanks for the help!

yea, works for me, my specs:

• Motherboard
    Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
  • RAM
    DDRAM3 8GB (2x4GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz CL9 + Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600

just make sure your 2x4 are not next to each other, maybe put the 8gb between them.