Thoughts on these monitors

redbread123
Go to solution Solved by Brooksie359,
2 hours ago, redbread123 said:

Competitive, but not that crazy competitive, like I said a monitor with close to 0 motion blur and ghosting/ smearing and isn't sacrificing colors that much

Well a tn panel will certainly sacrifice colors quite a bit unless you buy a higher end model like a 240hz gsync monitor. Even then it won't be as vibrant but the colors are decent and I don't notice a big difference. Its hard because when you are at the lower price range you kinda have to sacrifice something. I couldn't tell you if they ghost or not because I dont have experience with those particular models but I do remember hardware unbox reviewing monitors that looked similar to those. I actually think they are the same as one of the ones I watched but I can't remember for certain. I would definitely take a look at their monitor reviews if you want a good third party review. 

VA has the longest response time out of all the different panel types so you should expect it to be worse than ips and tn panel monitors in this aspect. VA is known for good contrast and visuals and fairly good viewing angles. The colors aren't as vibrant as ips but VA panels are usually much cheaper. TN panels are great for competitive gaming because they have the shortest response time but they are visually inferior to ips and VA panels in a fairly noticeable way. That being said some of the nicer tn monitors have pretty good visuals. I am talking about the expensive 240hz monitors. Cheap 144hz monitors are going to look extremely washed out color wise. For me I prefer my 240hz tn monitor over everything else because I mostly play fps games and the visuals are good enough on my monitor and the 240hz feels amazing. I also have a 4k 144hz ips monitor but I use it exclusively for games like the witcher 3 and tombraider where I really want to see the good visuals. Also any HDR game I play on my 4k 144hz because HDR10 is amazing. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

VA has the longest response time out of all the different panel types so you should expect it to be worse than ips and tn panel monitors in this aspect. VA is known for good contrast and visuals and fairly good viewing angles. The colors aren't as vibrant as ips but VA panels are usually much cheaper. TN panels are great for competitive gaming because they have the shortest response time but they are visually inferior to ips and VA panels in a fairly noticeable way. That being said some of the nicer tn monitors have pretty good visuals. I am talking about the expensive 240hz monitors. Cheap 144hz monitors are going to look extremely washed out color wise. For me I prefer my 240hz tn monitor over everything else because I mostly play fps games and the visuals are good enough on my monitor and the 240hz feels amazing. I also have a 4k 144hz ips monitor but I use it exclusively for games like the witcher 3 and tombraider where I really want to see the good visuals. Also any HDR game I play on my 4k 144hz because HDR10 is amazing. 

yeah but isn't there a threshold of like 7 for 144hz monitors like the pixels gray to gray has to be under 7 or else you'll see smudging because it takes 7 ms for each frame to show up on a 144hz monitor, so I was wondering if the GN27DB's gtg response time is under 7. Anything lower than 6 won't really make a difference for 144hz

48 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

yeah but isn't there a threshold of like 7 for 144hz monitors like the pixels gray to gray has to be under 7 or else you'll see smudging because it takes 7 ms for each frame to show up on a 144hz monitor, so I was wondering if the GN27DB's gtg response time is under 7. Anything lower than 6 won't really make a difference for 144hz

I mean 1ms compared to 5ms is noticeable for me even at 144hz. And yeah theoretically they should have under 7 to reach 144hz but VA panels have been know to have issues of not having fast enough response time to their refresh rate. Granted I play overwatch mainly at the masters level so 5ms vs 1ms makes a big difference when aiming when you are so used to 1 ms.

19 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean 1ms compared to 5ms is noticeable for me even at 144hz. And yeah theoretically they should have under 7 to reach 144hz but VA panels have been know to have issues of not having fast enough response time to their refresh rate. Granted I play overwatch mainly at the masters level so 5ms vs 1ms makes a big difference when aiming when you are so used to 1 ms.

placebo effect? or can you actually notice it like im only worried about smudging as im used to 60 fps

placebo effect? or can you actually notice it like im only worried about smudging as im used to 60 fps

It is statistically significant based on my hit accuracy dropping significantly with the change. Granted I am so used to 1 ms response time that anything else makes my aim slightly off.

Also this was with a Asus pg279 1440p 144hz monitor which has a faster response time than those VA panels. I think the decision you need to make is what type of gamer are you? Do you care more about visuals or are you more concerned about competitive gaming? If you aren't into competitive gaming than the VA panel is likely the better buy as the visuals will be better. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Also this was with a Asus pg279 1440p 144hz monitor which has a faster response time than those VA panels. I think the decision you need to make is what type of gamer are you? Do you care more about visuals or are you more concerned about competitive gaming? If you aren't into competitive gaming than the VA panel is likely the better buy as the visuals will be better. 

Competitive, but not that crazy competitive, like I said a monitor with close to 0 motion blur and ghosting/ smearing and isn't sacrificing colors that much

Well a tn panel will certainly sacrifice colors quite a bit unless you buy a higher end model like a 240hz gsync monitor. Even then it won't be as vibrant but the colors are decent and I don't notice a big difference. Its hard because when you are at the lower price range you kinda have to sacrifice something. I couldn't tell you if they ghost or not because I dont have experience with those particular models but I do remember hardware unbox reviewing monitors that looked similar to those. I actually think they are the same as one of the ones I watched but I can't remember for certain. I would definitely take a look at their monitor reviews if you want a good third party review.