Is SSD to PATA possible?

Go to solution Solved by VishTech,

I’m sure you can get a SATA to PATA adapter, check relevant websites online to see this. I know it is available as I have used one in the past for archiving.

I would try a usb version which would be faster and easier. 

So I am trying to mod an old mac mini g5 and get it maxed out to its full potential. I am having trouble getting the SSD to PATA converter working though. Everytime I boot the system with it in, the systems HDD loses power and it goes straight to a blank white screen (Probably because the SSD isn't initialized for use with the Mac.) Has anyone successfully replaced the PATA CD drive with an SSD? I aint worrid about having to mod the motherboard since this system is going to be modded anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sure you can get a SATA to PATA adapter, check relevant websites online to see this. I know it is available as I have used one in the past for archiving.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 7:26 PM, VishTech said:

Yeah, my mini is like before USB booting was a thing. I plopped it into a different PC so I think its probably a voltage thing with the mini, since when I plopped in a different DVD drive that took a bit more voltage the same thing happened.

• 1 month later...

you can buy an adapter to use either of 2 ways...a motherboard PATA socket to power a SATA drive, or a motherboard SATA socket that will power a DVD drive using a PATA connection. I have 2 in my garage, they were bought from either fleabay or aliexpress, cannot remember which; they were fairly cheap, and they do work; whether it will fix your specific application...that I do not know!