I can't believe it all fit! Hack Pro Pt. 2

JonoT

still waiting on that ricer

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You tearing apart another one just for kicks made me so sad. Even if it was an early kinda garbo model.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

you tore a G5 apart for the lolz? not taking into account that it was probably the board that failed (these models are known for ram slot issues, the board heats up too much and the slots desolder, you can fix them easily by heating the area around the slots) and that all parts you pulled out with such agresssion that you probably broke some part of them (cpu's, the casepieces, gpu maybe) could have been sold to someone looking to restore a G5 with a working board?

why? do you honestly not care or? like if you took your time, dissasembled it and sold the parts you don't need online i wouldn't have a problem with it, but just destroying vintage hardware is wrong. even if it "wasn't working".

She/Her

2 minutes ago, Twilight said:

you tore a G5 apart for the lolz? not taking into account that it was probably the board that failed (these models are known for ram slot issues, the board heats up too much and the slots desolder, you can fix them easily by heating the area around the slots) and that all parts you pulled out with such agresssion that you probably broke some part of them (cpu's, the casepieces, gpu maybe) could have been sold to someone looking to restore a G5 with a working board?

why? do you honestly not care or? like if you took your time, dissasembled it and sold the parts you don't need online i wouldn't have a problem with it, but just destroying vintage hardware is wrong. even if it "wasn't working".

I guess that's what happens with people that wipe their ass with graphics cards and swim in a pool of CPUs.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

6 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I guess that's what happens with people that wipe their ass with graphics cards and swim in a pool of CPUs.

even people with access to hardware like linus has, or people who are rich enough to buy whatever they want often appriciate vintage electronics, are aware that they can't just buy more if they break and are generally careful with those electronics for that reason... like, it doesn't matter how much money you have, if what you want to buy isn't available then you can't get it.

She/Her

1 hour ago, Hunter259 said:

You tearing apart another one just for kicks made me so sad. Even if it was an early kinda garbo model.

Boutta watch, hopefully it's not too sad. I had a PowerMac G5, gave it to a friend because I couldn't bear to gut it since it still worked nearly perfectly (I think one RAM stick was bad, other than that it was in great condition). Broke my heart when we (this same friend and I) tried to upgrade the CPUs in the 1st gen Mac pro I had though, that turned into a horrible mess and stuff broke ?. Maybe I should see if he still has it and ask for the case so I can at least build a deserving rig inside it to atone for my sins. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Boutta watch, hopefully it's not too sad.

prepare yourself. it's really sad.

She/Her

1 hour ago, Hunter259 said:

Even if it was an early kinda garbo model.

it's the model you want though if you want to play around with a G5. the later one's had unreliable water cooling, and these early one's are more than fast enough to run old games/software, and are generally easy to work on if you take your time and don't rip them apart with your bare hands.

She/Her

prepare yourself. it's really sad.

Yeah I just got to that part... all I have to say about that cooler removal method is 
OOF.

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Yeah I just got to that part... all I have to say about that cooler removal method is

the worst part is he just puts it aside and is like but we'll just use this other one that's already done. like wtf, why pull that other one apart then?

She/Her

3 minutes ago, Twilight said:

the worst part is he just puts it aside and is like but we'll just use this other one that's already done. like wtf, why pull that other one apart then?

Maybe it was confirmed 100% dead so there weren't any worries about anything still working? If any parts were working then that's an oof, those parts need to survive for the people who wanna maintain working ones and need spares. 

Main PC 

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Boutta watch, hopefully it's not too sad. I had a PowerMac G5, gave it to a friend because I couldn't bear to gut it since it still worked nearly perfectly (I think one RAM stick was bad, other than that it was in great condition). Broke my heart when we (this same friend and I) tried to upgrade the CPUs in the 1st gen Mac pro I had though, that turned into a horrible mess and stuff broke ?. Maybe I should see if he still has it and ask for the case so I can at least build a deserving rig inside it to atone for my sins. 

That's sad,

If we are talking about vintage,

I have a launch model PS3 :D

I have Full backwards compability,4 USB ports,and a SD card reader,

My PS3 has a custom firmware so i can monitor the temperatures with a in-game OSD,i can control the Fan speed,

I can have a web server and a FTP server on the Game OS,I can install Linux and a lot of cool stuff.Also those are going up in value but i prefer to keep mine,I really like it :D

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Maybe it was confirmed 100% dead so there weren't any worries about anything still working? If any parts were working then that's an oof, those parts need to survive for the people who wanna maintain working ones and need spares. 

it's likely a ram issue. i have a later one but similar (dual 2.0ghz) but mine is from '04. these suffer from an issue where the ram slots desolder and they won't detect any or not all memory, and therefore won't boot most of the time. they can be fixed by using a hairdryer or something similar to heat the board up a bit around the slots to reflow the solder, after that it should work fine again.

if it wasn't ram, it's possible it's a gpu problem, but if that's true then what he did is even more sad. because if that's the case he just destroyed a good board.

She/Her

Just now, Vishera said:

That's sad,

If we are talking about vintage,

I have a launch model PS3 :D

I have Full backwards compability,4 USB ports,and a SD card reader,

My PS3 has a custom firmware so i can monitor the temperatures with a in-game OSD,i can control the Fan speed,

I can have a web server and a FTP server on the Game OS,I can install Linux and a lot of cool stuff.Also those are going up in value but i prefer to keep mine,I really like it :D

Noice! Vintage-est stuff I have is my X58 motherboards. Have an X58 Classified SLI 3-Way, X58 Classified SLI 4-Way, and a Classified Super Record 2 (and another one that only boots with one CPU I'll likely pull stuff off of if I need it). 

I did save my dad's SNES, Sega Genesis, and Sega Game Gear (my little brother opened that up though so it may be broken). My mum was planning to just give them to Goodwill, I yoinked them. Need to get 'em all up and running and buy a display cable for the SNES, that's the only bit we lost over the years. Other than those, the oldest console I have an have actually used a bit is my Wii U, rn I mostly play on PC and my Switch. 

Main PC 

it's likely a ram issue. i have a later one but similar (dual 2.0ghz) but mine is from '04. these suffer from an issue where the ram slots desolder and they won't detect any or not all memory, and therefore won't boot most of the time. they can be fixed by using a hairdryer or something similar to heat the board up a bit around the slots to reflow the solder, after that it should work fine again.

if it wasn't ram, it's possible it's a gpu problem, but if that's true then what he did is even more sad. because if that's the case he just destroyed a good board.

Regardless if it was good or bad it was painful to watch :(

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Noice! Vintage-est stuff I have is my X58 motherboards. Have an X58 Classified SLI 3-Way, X58 Classified SLI 4-Way, and a Classified Super Record 2 (and another one that only boots with one CPU I'll likely pull stuff off of if I need it).

i have a pentium MMX machine, P2 machine, P3 machine and a P4 machine. i also have 2 GTX 280's with an SLI bridge, an 8800GTX, 9800GTX+, a dual socket opteron board from 2003 or 2004, Powermac G5, iMac G3, 2006 Mac Mini, a bunch of CRT's including a black and white one from the 60's, and more.

She/Her

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I did save my dad's SNES, Sega Genesis, and Sega Game Gear (my little brother opened that up though so it may be broken). My mum was planning to just give them to Goodwill, I yoinked them. Need to get 'em all up and running and buy a display cable for the SNES, that's the only bit we lost over the years. Other than those, the oldest console I have an have actually used a bit is my Wii U, rn I mostly play on PC and my Switch. 

Nice boards to have around,

Wow,SNES and the Genesis,that's a nice collection,What games do you have for them?

I also forgot that i upgraded my launch model PS3 with a 1TB HDD,Sony launched the console with SATA and IDE and HDMI,the Blue Ray drive is connected to the IDE.

5 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Nice boards to have around,

Wow,SNES and the Genesis,that's a nice collection,What games do you have for them?

I also forgot that i upgraded my launch model PS3 with a 1TB HDD,Sony launched the console with SATA and IDE and HDMI,the Blue Ray drive is connected to the IDE.

There's a Super Mario and I think a couple others for the SNES, a few football games and one of the top down scrolling spaceship-shooters for the Genesis. Should check tonight when I get home and get an actual list of the titles. 

Main PC 

Better wait for Dune Pro and build a REAL Mac Hack Pro!

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

14 minutes ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Better wait for Dune Pro and build a REAL Mac Hack Pro!

The G5 looks so much better...

10 minutes ago, Vishera said:

The G5 looks so much better...

i wouldn't say better, just classic. i prefer it, don't get me wrong, but it is a lot easier to use the dune pro case.

to make a proper G5 mod, you first need a dead g5 to salvage, fabricate your own parts to make current pc hardware fit into the case and modify the case yourself. i get the appeal of an off-the-shelf solution.

She/Her