Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tegos

Is upgrading to Athlon from FX-series worth it?

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

My current build features an FX-6300 CPU. Given that it's pretty much an obsolete processor at this point, I am looking to upgrade in the near future.
I'd like to upgrade to an AM4 platform, seeing as it's good price-to-performance, but seeing as AM3+ has me stuck in DDR3 territory, I'd have to get a new motherboard and new RAM if I'm really going to switch to AM4.

That said, what would be a better decision: upgrading to Athlon (most likely 240GE or 220GE) as a cost-saving measure so I can invest in a decent motherboard before eventually going Ryzen, or should I just ditch budget options and go for something like an R3 2200G? I'm taking the motherboard upgrade into account because I'd like the ability to overclock, which seems to be beneficial with Ryzen builds.

Edited by Tegos
Topic had been accidentally posted I finished writing it.

Ballz 3D is the greatest videogame ever made.

--

Space heater PC specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 || GPU: PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 550 4GB || Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX/BR || Storage: 2x 500GB HDD || Memory: 8GB DDR3 (2x 4GB 1600MHz) || PSU: CORSAIR VS500 (2017) || Case: TGT Stryker Mid Tower || Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech K120, Logitech B100.

Keep saving for a R3 1200 at least, any Ryzen is a stupidly huge jump from old FX processors specially if you intend to game, it is better save up and wait longer than waste the little money you have on dead somewhat obsolete parts.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Viper Steel |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

it is better save up and wait longer than waste the little money you have on dead somewhat obsolete parts

9 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

The athlon lineup on AM4 wouldn’t be much of an upgrade

Yeah, that's what had me wondering. Some googling showed me that the price difference between AM4 Athlon and early-gen Ryzen is pretty much insignificant at this point.

Even the R3 2200 seems to be a very accessible option right now.

Only remaining thing to decide would be the motherboard.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

do NOT get a b320 board

A 320 board wouldn't allow me to overclock, right? Google research says that I'd need at least a B350. I'm not very familiar with motherboards yet since I'm kind of new to pc building as a whole.

--

Space heater PC specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 || GPU: PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 550 4GB || Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX/BR || Storage: 2x 500GB HDD || Memory: 8GB DDR3 (2x 4GB 1600MHz) || PSU: CORSAIR VS500 (2017) || Case: TGT Stryker Mid Tower || Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech K120, Logitech B100.

1 minute ago, Tegos said:

Yeah, that's what had me wondering. Some googling showed me that the price difference between AM4 Athlon and early-gen Ryzen is pretty much insignificant at this point.

Even the R3 2200 seems to be a very accessible option right now.

Only remaining thing to decide would be the motherboard.

A 320 board wouldn't allow me to overclock, right? Google research says that I'd need at least a B350. I'm not very familiar with motherboards yet since I'm kind of new to pc building as a whole.

B320 boards lack more than just the overclocking feature and do not support the full cpu list from amd. At the very least get a b450 as well b350's are the same price usually and just older so no point in getting them.

B320's are also usually lower quality simply because these are meant to be the most budget oriented.

3 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Continuing to call A320 B320 really doesn’t imply much confidence that you know what you’re talking about.

Low end != bad, just get an average feature set. 65 or 95w processors won’t have any issue with the power delivery on the average A320 board. The big limitations come mainly in the lack of internal I/o.

My bad for mislabeling the a320. Low end for sure doesn't mean bad I just meant that since op was on a budget to not get the absolute cheapest a320 one as there are a few that have been seriously cheaped out on.

1 minute ago, Genwyn said:

A320 is first gen Ryzen, you would have to do a bios update to take a 2200g.

By now most boards you would buy would have this update pre installed, but if you buy an A320 or B350 or x370 board, check first that it has a bios update installed.

A320 also has limited support for 3rd gen Ryzen processors, not all of them will take the R5 or R7 3000 series, but some will. 
An A320 board with a bios update and a 2200G would be a good combo, though a B450 board would be better for the sake of longevity of the system, since you could upgrade to a much better processor in the distant future.

I see. That's pretty insightful, thanks a lot!

Just one more question: in case I ended up buying an A320 or a B350 board without said bios update, would it still be possible to flash an updated BIOS using something like a USB drive, or is that kind of stuff not supported on modern motherboards? I'd rather take my time and look for an updated board before buying of course, but it's better to have my bases covered just in case I buy something without the update by mistake.

--

Space heater PC specs:

34 minutes ago, Tegos said:

upgrading to Athlon (most likely 240GE or 220GE)

pretty sure the Ryzen 3 1200 is cheaper than both of these, and also the cheapest B450 board is preferable to any A320 as you'll be much more capable of running decent ram speeds, as well as getting far better CPU support for later releases. Are you buying from the united states?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

My bad for mislabeling the a320. Low end for sure doesn't mean bad I just meant that since op was on a budget to not get the absolute cheapest a320 one as there are a few that have been seriously cheaped out on.

Lack of internal I/O seems like a valid reason to skip out on A320, especially the super cheapo ones.
It'll honestly depend on my budget at the time I do upgrade. If I find myself unable to pick up something slightly better at the time, I'll have to go through with something more low-end.

--

Space heater PC specs:

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Are you buying from the united states?

Nope, South America. Though with the current exchange rate, the average price for a R3 1200G here would equal to about 93 US dollars.

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

pretty sure the Ryzen 3 1200 is cheaper than both of these

Been doing some searches as the conversation here happens, and yeah, the price difference between them is really small nowdays.

--

Space heater PC specs:

2 minutes ago, Tegos said:

Been doing some searches as the conversation here happens, and yeah, the price difference between them is really small nowdays.

in which case the small increase in cost for a B450 board wouldn't be so bad presumably, what's the cheapest B450 board vs the cheapest A320 board available to you?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

in which case the small increase in cost for a B450 board wouldn't be so bad presumably, what's the cheapest B450 board vs the cheapest A320 board available to you?

Cheapest B450 boards I could find online were a Biostar Racing B450GT3, and the ASRock B450 Pro. I remember the ASRock one being featured in an LTT video not too long ago, but not really sure about the Biostar one. They both cost the equivalent of around 120 USD.

For the A320, the cheapest avaliable seems to be the ASUS PRIME A320M-K, at the average equivalent of 96 USD. 

So what I can gather from the price difference is, going for a B450 from the start seems like a smarter investment.

--

Space heater PC specs:

16 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

They would send you a 200ge or am4 a8 and then you update and mail it back

That's such an interesting solution actually, real shame they probably don't do it anymore.

17 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Going B450 from the start would still be the best option but if you’re not gonna OC then an A320 board with a factory or reseller installed bios update works just as well.

Yeah, I did some price comparisons and B450 seems more worth it due to the price difference currently being pretty small. Though I'll still keep A320 in mind in case the price for B450 goes up around here for whatever reason.

--

Space heater PC specs:

2 minutes ago, Tegos said:

So what I can gather from the price difference is, going for a B450 from the start seems like a smarter investment.

Given the price difference you stated, I agree. The Asrock B450 Pro4 and its variants are the best cheap AMD motherboard possible, with a decent heat sink on the VRMs and quality board features.

The Biostar board you listed is also really solid, so IMO you could choose which you prefer based on looks

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

9 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Given the price difference you stated, I agree. The Asrock B450 Pro4 and its variants are the best cheap AMD motherboard possible, with a decent heat sink on the VRMs and quality board features.

The Biostar board you listed is also really solid, so IMO you could choose which you prefer based on looks

Does form factor make much of a difference aside from the amount of PCI-E slots? The biostar board is mATX and the Asrock board is regular ATX (which I'm not 100% could fit inside my case)

--

Space heater PC specs:

1 minute ago, Tegos said:

Does form factor make much of a difference aside from the amount of PCI-E slots? The biostar board is mATX and the Asrock board is regular ATX (which I'm not 100% could fit inside my case)

The size isn't important, the vast majority of micro ATX boards are just the ATX version with the bottom cut off so it functions the same way. If You're concerned about size then might as well go with the biostar board.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The size isn't important, the vast majority of micro ATX boards are just the ATX version with the bottom cut off so it functions the same way. If You're concerned about size then might as well go with the biostar board.

I see. Might go with the biostar board just to be sure then.
Thanks a lot for the help!

--

Space heater PC specs: