Still need help please motherboard blew up

Hi so nearly 2 weeks of lost sleep ago my 8 year old pressed the power button to a new build and the motherboard smoked and blew. I'm having an awful time finding the cause and looking for help and advise please.

# All stand offs were in the correct place, so were the power cables to motherboard and gpu this has been checked. Again all cables were correctly keyed and the board was on the standoffs.

This is what I know please see video of the motherboard AND strange burn marks on the psu cables. What do you think please?

20191013_155654.jpg

20191013_155717.jpg

20191013_155545.jpg

20191013_155611.jpg

The cable from the psu to gpu the burn mark is at psu end. 

20191011_172708.jpg

Edited by Mike UK

1 minute ago, Plouffe said:

What PSU are you using ?

Rm750x

Seeing as how the damage is appearing on all of the PSU connectors my money is on something is wrong with the PSU but it could be an internal short on the motherboard that worked it's way back to the PSU.

Can you test the PSU independently?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Seeing as how to damage is appearing on all of the PSU connectors my money is on something is wrong with the PSU but it could be an internal short on the motherboard that worked it's way back to the motherboard.

Can you test the PSU independently?

I bought the psu and motherboard from different places I've sent the psu back for testing and the motherboard I got a refund. I asked corsair if the psu damaged my gpu would they pay to get it fixed and they said no theor warrant only covers corsair products. Really worried at the moment cant sleep with this.

PayPal told me to use them and send it back or I wouldn't get my money back.

3 minutes ago, Mike UK said:

I bought the psu and motherboard from different places I've sent the psu back for testing and the motherboard I got a refund. I asked corsair if the psu damaged my gpu would they pay to get it fixed and they said no theor warrant only covers corsair products. Really worried at the moment cant sleep with this.

Depending on what exactly went wrong it's a possibility it hit the GPU too. The GPU uses the highest voltage rail in the system though so unless the PSU shorted AC to the DC side then it could be OK. Won't really know until you can test it in another system.

1 minute ago, Mike UK said:

PayPal told me to use them and send it back or I wouldn't get my money back.

If the motherboard is still under warranty, just RMA it. The residue on the connectors and burn mark on the motherboard look like FETs or Caps.

Do you have anything that can check PSU voltages? Voltmeter? etc

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

9 minutes ago, Mike UK said:

Get a new board and a new PSU if it doesn't pass the testing. Put the PC together and test it.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Depending on what exactly went wrong it's a possibility it hit the GPU too. The GPU uses the highest voltage rail in the system though so unless the PSU shorted AC to the DC side then it could be OK. Won't really know until you can test it in another system.

I guess I'm going to have to send the gpu away also then. I cant see any burn marks on it and we tried a friends computer the rbg did light up but it stayed on some screen for a while. He said it could be a fault with his pc... 

3 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

If the motherboard is still under warranty, just RMA it. The residue on the connectors and burn mark on the motherboard look like FETs or Caps.

Do you have anything that can check PSU voltages? Voltmeter? etc

I bought the psu from a uk company so sent it to them to get tested the motherboard I bought from czech republic.  What is FETs or caps please? Someone said the burn on motherboard was solid state capacitors and this might have been caused by a reverse polarisation... I wasnt sure tho if that meant psu or motherboard at fault with something like that.

15 minutes ago, Mike UK said:

I guess I'm going to have to send the gpu away also then. I cant see any burn marks on it and we tried a friends computer the rbg did light up but it stayed on some screen for a while. He said it could be a fault with his pc... 

Stayed on some window? Did you try stress testing it? Play a game or something? Make sure all it's functions still work?

11 minutes ago, Mike UK said:

I bought the psu from a uk company so sent it to them to get tested the motherboard I bought from czech republic.  What is FETs or caps please? Someone said the burn on motherboard was solid state capacitors and this might have been caused by a reverse polarisation... I wasnt sure tho if that meant psu or motherboard at fault with something like that.

MosFETs (FETs):

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS82

Capacitors (Caps):
Visual-differences-between-water-based-a

And the one I forgot, Chokes:

VRMs.jpg

All of these are parts of the power delivery system of your CPU, called VRM. Caps and Chokes specifically are well known for blowing up and leaking residue onto nearby parts. Based on your video and photo of the burned EPS connector (CPU 8 pin), my guess is there was a faulty choke that blew out the rail.

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

13 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

MosFETs (FETs):

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS82

Capacitors (Caps):
Visual-differences-between-water-based-a

And the one I forgot, Chokes:

VRMs.jpg

All of these are parts of the power delivery system of your CPU, called VRM. Caps and Chokes specifically are well known for blowing up and leaking residue onto nearby parts. Based on your video and photo of the burned EPS connector (CPU 8 pin), my guess is there was a faulty choke that blew out the rail.

Does the SOC VRM mean anything to you? after watching reviews and break downs of this board that's the location of where the damage is. Thanks for the help.

Screenshot_20191016-160856_WhatsApp.jpg

IMG-20191004-WA0012.jpeg