Should i update to windows 10 ?

LyadhkhorStrategist

I am using windows 7 ultimate for 4 years but now that the xbox game pass has come out I want to know if it will be worth upgrading?

No, you should not do the update process or you'll almost certainly have issues in the future.

Do a clean install properly.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yes windows 10 is miles ahead of windows 7. Well worth upgrading. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No, you should not do the update process or you'll almost certainly have issues in the future.

What problems exactly?

if your mobo is not too old, like the uefi support got good around 3000 series intel, you should update to windows 10 no propblem

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Funny enough I upgraded from Win7 to 10 and didn't have a single issue that I can recall. Mileage will vary obviously but my experience was perfectly fine. That being said, back up everything first.  

1 minute ago, Ehmc130 said:

January 14, 2020, Microsoft is no longer supporting Win 7. Another reason to make the switch. 

What does that exactly mean ?

2 minutes ago, LyadhkhorStrategist said:

What does that exactly mean ?

only very crucial security updates and patches.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I'd recommend linux over windows 10

.... keeping in full mind that i barely ever use linux and run windows 7.

I mean.... I do some stupid stuff but I'm not about to jump off the cliff that is windows 10

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

I'd recommend linux over windows 10

OPs main upgrade reason seems to be Xbox Gamepass.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

29 minutes ago, LyadhkhorStrategist said:

I am using windows 7 ultimate for 4 years but now that the xbox game pass has come out I want to know if it will be worth upgrading?

Considering that Windows 7 loses long term support (Meaning: no security patches) in January of 2020, I'd recommend you figure out an upgrade path by December 2019 at the latest.

If you prefer Windows 8 over Windows 10, you should upgrade to Windows 8.1, which receives extended support until January 2023. If you have no preference, or simply want to jump onto Windows 10 anyway, then I would plan an upgrade to Windows 10 asap.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

OPs main upgrade reason seems to be Xbox Gamepass.

in that case i'd recommend linux and letting go of xbox game pass idea

28 minutes ago, LyadhkhorStrategist said:

What problems exactly?

Oh I've seen people have all kinds of stuff.

Everything from simply not booting after the upgrade, high disk usage and lag in windows, windows updates that fail to install, etc etc etc

25 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

Funny enough I upgraded from Win7 to 10 and didn't have a single issue that I can recall. Mileage will vary obviously but my experience was perfectly fine. That being said, back up everything first.  

You probably do, it's just in the background or not very noticeable or you don't think it has to do with the upgrade.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You probably do, it's just in the background or not very noticeable or you don't think it has to do with the upgrade.

If you say so...

3 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

If you say so...

Ehh if you don't seem to notice any problems that are annoying you and such then it obviously doesn't matter. 

It's not like a key is expensive so its not super hard to pick up another oem copy.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I love Windows 10 over Windows 7. I have Windows 7 on my ultrabook. It just feels...more modern.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

i honestly don't know why people just hate win 10.

i mean sure there is a lot of data collection but that can be solved with this ooshutup10

the only real issue with win 10 is the search box, which finally is getting fixed.

beside these 2 issues, which lets be serious win7 is not perfect either, there is no reason to skip 10.

i use many flavours of linux and win10/8.1/7 daily, but realistically i would not recommend a windows user to jump on linux if you dont have a reason. most of the software on windows dont work on linux even with whine.

also  to mention win 10 wsl which is linux in windows is gonna be a massive improvement on wsl2.

so tldr your use case is yours. there are many linux fans that just jump and say yeah use it cause its perfect which is a bullshit at best. no os is perfect and its about what you want to do, so use what you want and what works for you.

*however if you gonna use 8 use 8.1 cause it fixes massive problems in 8.

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

windows 10 

much less BSOD, auto drivers installation, but much slower with non ssd

regardless of the OS you use, installing your OS on anything other than an SSD is peak dumb

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

installing your OS on anything other than an SSD is peak dumb

at least back in the days of windows 7, vista , xp, it was bearable/ usable with spinning drives 

11 hours ago, LyadhkhorStrategist said:

You should be upgrading in my opinion. However, I would backup all your stuff and do a clean install. Why?

• If you have any problem with Windows 7, which might or might not be visible to you at the moment, it might be carried to Windows 10.
  • If you have a virus or malware or spyware, you'll be carrying to the new install. If you had one in the past, and it has modified system files, while file will most likely updated, it may screw up the upgrade process if it is link to the update system of Windows 7.
  • You'll need to update ALL (including printer, audio and chipset) your drivers to Windows 7 FIRST to ensure no issue in the upgrade process (it has been recorded driver issues preventing the upgrade process from being successful), and upgrade again to Windows 10 driver where available and if Windows 10 didn't fetch them from Windows Update.
  • You still need to backup your stuff before starting the process, as you never know when bad luck can strike.
  • Ensure that all security software (if any) are fully updated to the latest version. (it has been recorded of several software causing failure of upgrade). I recommend to uninstall them out right, upgrade, and re-install them.

So all in all, might as well do a clean install. At least you ensure that all your stuff is on the latest versions, and forces you to clean up your stuff and organize everything if hey are not already.