Buy new monitor or wait (displayport 2.0 & PG27UQ)

SubLimation7

Hello again everyone!

I am hoping that someone on here has a bit of insider knowledge regarding monitor industry.  I'm ready to buy a new monitor, I've been waiting for 4k, 144hz, proper HDR, etc.  The PG27UQ has this, and now that price has dropped I'm ready to purchase.  However, I am a little scared ASUS will throw out a new version of this monitor soonish that uses displayport 2.0 so that it can achieve 10 bit 144hz 4:4:4 with HDR enabled, right now it has to drop to 98hz because of DP 1.4's bandwidth limitation.

So heres some things I'm curious about:

Would it be reasonably possible (comfortable opening up and soldering some stuff) to replace dp module and upgrading to 2.0 later?  

Would a short fiber optic dp 1.4 be able to get the refresh rate any higher without sacrificing chroma or bit depth? (Or any mod at all I could do down the road to get full potential out of monitor)

Should I wait for something new to come out that supports DP 2.0 (if you think it will be 6+ months I think I'd rather just get this monitor), just cant help but think ASUS will prepare a new version of this monitor with DP2.0 for holiday season.

Really appreciate anyones help/advice!

Sole Proprietor of Pinnacle Gaming, forging record breaking PCs at an unbeatable (literally) value feat: M2 drives, "delidded" cpus & gpus, record breaking speeds (hwbot), platinum PSU (always tier one),  premium motherboards, now with RGB LIGHTING, and all at a budget price, dare to compare even vs building yourself 

The DP 2.0 specification only released a few months ago. VESA likely won't publish a CTS and begin certification testing for another year or two, so I'd estimate it will be roughly 2-3 years before the first DP 2.0 products appear at the earliest. And given past trends it will probably be 4-5 years before NVIDIA releases a G-Sync module for it, if they continue making those at all...

There is no possibility of a mod, the DisplayPort controller isn't on its own separate chip.

16 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

The DP 2.0 specification only released a few months ago. VESA likely won't publish a CTS and begin certification testing for another year or two, so I'd estimate it will be roughly 2-3 years before the first DP 2.0 products appear at the earliest. And given past trends it will probably be 4-5 years before NVIDIA releases a G-Sync module for it, if they continue making those at all...

There is no possibility of a mod, the DisplayPort controller isn't on its own separate chip.

Thanks, that is certainly helpful.  I will be ordering it! 

Sole Proprietor of Pinnacle Gaming, forging record breaking PCs at an unbeatable (literally) value feat: M2 drives, "delidded" cpus & gpus, record breaking speeds (hwbot), platinum PSU (always tier one),  premium motherboards, now with RGB LIGHTING, and all at a budget price, dare to compare even vs building yourself