I5 9TH Gen on Z370 Motherboard?

Hi there,

i am looking for an upgrade to an i5 9th gen but am not sure on the motherboard - on PC Part Picker it says there is compatibility isues with the i5-9600K and a Z370 motherboard. Is this true as a Z390 is a lot more money? Also, if it is, are there some Z370 Motherboards that are compatible with it?

Thanks very much

Z370 could be compatible with it, but you never know if it was manufactured late enough into the 9th gen CPU's. If it was, it might just be compatible, if not it might not be..

Usually the boards - if compatible - will have like a '9th gen ready!' sticker on it, but you would have to ask the store if their stock has that.

Otherwise you could look into a board with BIOS flashback (updating BIOS without a CPU installed), but at that point you might as well just get an entry level Z390 board.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

z370 works with it, but needs a bios update from after the release

which all boards you buy right now should have at this point

13 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

unless op is unlucky and its been sitting in a warehouse for over a year

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

12 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Because the Motherboard I’m looking at ( Gigabyte Z370 P D3) says intel 8th gen compatible so could it work on the 9th gen?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0775JBB87/ref=psdc_430512031_t1_B07BKJTJLS

2 minutes ago, mxk said:

unless op is unlucky and its been sitting in a warehouse for over a year

But I’m assuming i could just get it sent back for not working then

4 minutes ago, Oliver_W said:

But I’m assuming i could just get it sent back for not working then

I guess, but you can just get a cheap used cpu to update the bios if you dont want to send the mobo back

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

16 hours ago, trevb0t said:

I'm curious why you're considering the 9600K at this point

Because I want to be able to run a powerful cpu which has good clock speed and i can overclock

1 hour ago, Oliver_W said:

Because I want to be able to run a powerful cpu which has good clock speed and i can overclock

Exactly. Why the 9600k?

You've looked toward a 6 core, 6 thread unit with plenty of known issues..

The only two Intel CPUs currently worth looking at are the i7-9700K or i9-9900K. 

The $200 Ryzen 5 3600 has effectively zoned the i5 out completely.

At 6c/6t, the 9600K has plenty of known issues with the 1% lows (framerates drops, etc.) And issues computing certain games entirely. (Namely Farcry 5!)

You dont have to go Ryzen, but I wouldnt go Intel unless you're going all in on Intel. Budget Intel no longer makes sense.

27 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Exactly. Why the 9600k?

The only two Intel CPUs currently worth looking at are the i7-9700K or i9-9900K. 

At 6c/6t, the 9600K has plenty of known issues with the 1% lows (framerates drops, etc.) And issues computing certain games entirely. (Namely Farcry 5!)

You dont have to go Ryzen, but I wouldnt go Intel unless you're going all in on Intel. Budget Intel no longer makes sense.

Well its still better for gaming because you can easily OC to 5.1Ghz or more which is insanely strong for gaming.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2019 at 6:04 PM, trevb0t said:

Exactly. Why the 9600k?

The reason I'm going for an i5-9600k is because it gives me good overclocking capabilities. Also, most importantly, I like to play x Plane 11, a flight simulator, which is very much a more cpu intensive software. In this, clock speed is more important than hyperthreading or core count, and on a budget they recommended the i5-9600K. I've been closely monitoring the price of this cpu for a while and it seems I can get it for as low as £150 on amazon

On 10/27/2019 at 7:16 AM, Oliver_W said:

I can get it for as low as £150 on amazon

Amazon uk? I have been looking at i5-9600K on there for the last 2 weeks straight the cheapest i've seen it is for £220 on amazon, though you can get a i5 9600kf for £199.98 of ebuyer (really good used plenty of times)

On 10/28/2019 at 5:13 PM, TrapKetchem26 said:

Amazon uk? I have been looking at i5-9600K on there for the last 2 weeks straight the cheapest i've seen it is for £220 on amazon, though you can get a i5 9600kf for £199.98 of ebuyer (really good used plenty of times)

It hit £150 a few months ago, but only for about 24 hours

My other option is to just sit out and wait for the 10th gen to arrive and by then I might have enough money for the i7 10th gen

7 minutes ago, Oliver_W said:

What motherboard do you have now?

1 minute ago, 1van said:

What motherboard do you have now?

I currently have an Asus P8Z77-V LX for my Overclocked i5-2500K with 16GB HyperX DDR3-1600 RAM , however I am looking to upgrade (if it's to the 9600K) to a Gigabyte Z390 UD, which is rated the best Motherboard for this low budget 

2 minutes ago, Oliver_W said:

I currently have an Asus P8Z77-V LX

I see. I though you have something more modern. In this case I'd recommend to wait for the 10th gen, it'll cause a price drop for both 9th gen and Ryzen.

You might want to check this out, too.