Windows update problem

SladeDJWilson

It's why I'll never use Windows Update, and partly why I have Windows 10 LTSB. I don't personally know how to remedy this, but for some reason it does seem like a normal thing amongst Windows machines. Why and how that's acceptable? Idk either. It can take a few hours sometimes. A YouTuber I love watching uses his Windows 10 laptop to tune his cars for his channel. He ran into this same thing in one of his last videos and it took about 3 hours or so (though on the bright side he was able to polish the car while he waited). I see no reason it should take this long, and I see no reason why MS can't just address it already.

9 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

It's why I'll never use Windows Update, and partly why I have Windows 10 LTSB. I don't personally know how to remedy this, but for some reason it does seem like a normal thing amongst Windows machines. Why and how that's acceptable? Idk either. It can take a few hours sometimes. A YouTuber I love watching uses his Windows 10 laptop to tune his cars for his channel. He ran into this same thing in one of his last videos and it took about 3 hours or so (though on the bright side he was able to polish the car while he waited). I see no reason it should take this long, and I see no reason why MS can't just address it already.

Ohh ok 

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I need a little help making out what that says...

"We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes"

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

3 minutes ago, 2FA said:

"We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes"

Thank you.

@OP Unfortunately this isn't a bug I commonly deal with so I haven't had the pleasure of trying to troubleshoot it. Unless the system was shutdown during an update I would say it's an issue rooted in the OS. There's a fair chance we won't be able to help outside of recommending initiating a manual update. Rolling back an update. Or reinstalling Windows. These could potentially stop the errors but even then it's not a guarantee that they won't just start up again.

46 minutes ago, SladeDJWilson said:

This has happened like 3 times.

What does the logs says? Which update are being attempted to be installed?

In general speak:

• Make sure that ALL your drivers (chipset, SATA controller, audio, printer, etc) are fully updated.
  • If you have a security software, make sure they are fully up-to-date.
  • If you have games, makes sure these games are fully updated prior of the update. Why? Because, they may feature anti-cheat system which uses exploits that have been patched, or undocumented APIs that has been changed. Microsoft has worked with anti-cheat companies to resolve the issues for those affected, and now games needs to be updated. (This affected only Windows 10 1903 update, but as you didn't mention which updates, I am assuming it can be possibility if you have not updated yet).