Intel Might Drop 10nm Node for Desktop Processors, 14nm Until 2022?

BiG StroOnZ
1 hour ago, Waffles13 said:

That doesn't mean it isn't still a solid node in terms of theoretical performance, but if they can't translate that into shipping products then I have trouble giving them too much credit for having a  "darn good node" overall. Cool that they are trying to push the boundaries, but putting all their eggs into that one basket seems like it could go down as one of the biggest fumbles in the history of this industry.

It's still making it in to their most important product line, server Ice Lake-SP 1H 2020. If 7nm wasn't as close as what it is 10nm would have been used across the board. Kitting out fab facilities is really expensive so to go all in on another round of DUV is a bit dumb when EUV is superior.

And even then I have my doubts 10nm won't be used on desktop parts.

19 hours ago, leadeater said:

It's still making it in to their most important product line, server Ice Lake-SP 1H 2020. If 7nm wasn't as close as what it is 10nm would have been used across the board. Kitting out fab facilities is really expensive so to go all in on another round of DUV is a bit dumb when EUV is superior.

And even then I have my doubts 10nm won't be used on desktop parts.

I don't doubt that it will be "used on desktop parts", I just think there's a high likelihood that it will be in the same sense that Cannonlake "shipped in 1H 2018*".

Spoiler

*In a dual core, low voltage, IGPU-less mobile chip with worse performance than previous generations

I hope we see a 10nm 11-series lineup down the entire stack next year, and it's certainly not an impossibility, I just feel like it's sort of 50/50 at this point. They may very well just release an i7-10775KF and call it a year. 

5 hours ago, Waffles13 said:

I don't doubt that it will be "used on desktop parts", I just think there's a high likelihood that it will be in the same sense that Cannonlake "shipped in 1H 2018*".

I'm expecting to see it in HEDT since the server parts are using it and HEDT uses designs based off those.

16 hours ago, leadeater said:

I'm expecting to see it in HEDT since the server parts are using it and HEDT uses designs based off those.

Fair point. I suppose that I generally think of HEDT as totally separate from "desktop".