Overclockable CPUs, GPUs memory and now what?

We have overclockable CPUs, GPUs memory and hell, even displays. Has anyone thought what overclocking the chipset might yield? Faster storage? Better PCIe speeds? Or am I smoking too much weed right now? Tell me your thoughts.

Edited by Vector0102
Removed the word "now"

9 minutes ago, Vector0102 said:

am I smoking too much weed right now

this one.

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

we used to do chipset overclocking back in the day, its mostly obsolete now though and it mostly causes instability because the parts dont expect the data buss to run at more than a certain speed

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

@Bananasplit_00 Will increasing the speed of the data bus which connects components give more performance? Something like overclocking the Infinity Fabric in AMD chips?

Just now, Vector0102 said:

@Bananasplit_00 Will increasing the speed of the data bus which connects components give more performance? Something like overclocking the Infinity Fabric in AMD chips?

if all the parts could handle it it could give a slight performance increase as there would be less latency.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

44 minutes ago, Vector0102 said:

Or am I smoking too much weed right now?

No, you're not smoking enough.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, Vector0102 said:

Now we have overclockable CPUs, GPUs memory and hell, even displays.[...]

Now? What do you mean now? ... as in, we had all that decades ago?

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

If we would be nitpicking, you can overclocking only things with clock speeds. Tuning and tweaking are to be used with everything else.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, Jordie of the Void said:

Next step is probably overclockable RGB

I definitely wanna see Steve Burke try to overclock RGB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

13 hours ago, Jordie of the Void said:

Next step is probably overclockable RGB

over volt rgb is too easy, not worth mentioning

we need to overclock PC CASE!!

Network card and sound card obviously.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 10/15/2019 at 6:26 PM, wkdpaul said:

Now? What do you mean now? ... as in, we had all that decades ago?

Removed the word 'now' in the post.

2 hours ago, Vector0102 said:

@LogicalDrm I mean something like the PCIe bus and other data buses going to the chipset.

Still no clock speed on those AFAIK.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Still no clock speed on those AFAIK.

I thought that the PCIe bus had a clock speed like 100Mhz. When I tried to overclock my old system today using Clockgen, there was an option to overclock the PCIe bus. The default was 100 MHz. Strange.

Screenshot_20191017-143025_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, Vector0102 said:

I thought that the PCIe bus had a clock speed like 100Mhz. When I tried to overclock my old system today using Clockgen, there was an option to overclock the PCIe bus. The default was 100 MHz. Strange.

Screenshot_20191017-143025_Chrome.jpg

So it seems.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I mean, it could be theoretically possible to overclock the controllers on your SSD's and try and get your HDDs to spin faster than default, but is it worth it in the long run? Probably not

Well, using values that have been validated to work 99.99% of time saves a lot of time and often can be too costly to try to improve them and yields performance which is not worth the work

3 hours ago, Palden said:

I mean, it could be theoretically possible to overclock the controllers on your SSD's and try and get your HDDs to spin faster than default, but is it worth it in the long run? Probably not

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2488039/intel-kills-ssd-overclocking--unleashes-its-fastest-ever-consumer-drive.html

Intel SSD OC.jpg

TLDR
Factory SSD OC

Intel decided against it due to warranty concerns over user-manipulated/created issues.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

On 10/16/2019 at 10:26 AM, BigRom said:

I definitely wanna see Steve Burke try to overclock RGB

Well that's an hour worth of numbers for sure