Be Quiet or Noctua for Synology NAS

scottiecb19

Hi Everyone,

I have a Synology NAS (DS1515+) just under my desk as a storage device for all the family computers, phone, iPads etc. They have the stock fans installed, and I have read articles about people replacing these with aftermarket fans, as it's a  really easy upgrade.

On the UK Amazon site, I have basically narrowed my choices down to the 80mm Be Quiet Pure Wings 2, or the Noctua NF-A8 PWM. The Noctua appears to be a couple of db quieter, but is almost twice the price for the fan, which when buying two of them (the NAS has two fans), is a consideration.

I'm just wondering if the additional expense is worth it. I have Noctua fans on my system, and think they're great, but I'm sure either fan would be an improvement over the stock ones on the NAS. Opinions are very much welcome.

Thank you all for your time. 

Hi there, I can only speak from my experience with my DIY NAS, it's an itx build, i use a noctua NH-L9i and i cant hear it at ALL and my cpu temps are in the low 20s pretty much same as ambient.

correct me if im wrong; the be quiet has half the warranty period, that implies half the life, and would therefore justify the price difference.

57 minutes ago, scottiecb19 said:

Hi Everyone,

I have a Synology NAS (DS1515+) just under my desk as a storage device for all the family computers, phone, iPads etc. They have the stock fans installed, and I have read articles about people replacing these with aftermarket fans, as it's a  really easy upgrade.

On the UK Amazon site, I have basically narrowed my choices down to the 80mm Be Quiet Pure Wings 2, or the Noctua NF-A8 PWM. The Noctua appears to be a couple of db quieter, but is almost twice the price for the fan, which when buying two of them (the NAS has two fans), is a consideration.

I'm just wondering if the additional expense is worth it. I have Noctua fans on my system, and think they're great, but I'm sure either fan would be an improvement over the stock ones on the NAS. Opinions are very much welcome.

Thank you all for your time. 

That's really up to you do decide. Cheaper, slightly louder fan or more expensive and slightly quieter fan. It's a NAS so it's noisy anyway.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

i always go noctua every time i tried something else, like for example the ML140 fans i have been dissapointed, even tough fan noise are low, there is just some rattles, and mechanical annoyances with other brands that noctua does not seem to have...

and never had a dead noctua fan at delivery, had a few corsair fans...

well that actually is a lie, got a working noctua fan, which a 500 pound postal worker has sat on, so one of the mounting areas were cracked, the fan worked nicely, but the plastic housing did not look great.

Wow, thank you all for your prompt and really helpful replies! The tech community is certainly an awesome one for helping out others!

Could I perhaps add a thrid option here - The Noctua NF-R8 Redux, which is inbetween both the aforementioned fans in terms of price. I've not used the redux line myself, I know they're Noctua fans but i've always been a little concerned that they're not up to the standard of the 'brown' fans. 

I don’t own any noctua products but I have had a bequiet pure rock and two high speed 140mm from bequiet.
DB doesn’t always give you the whole idea. 

BeQuiet also focuses on tone. The high speeds have a nice hum to them. I really like their products. 

Both Noctua and BeQuiet are top tier IMO. 

5 hours ago, scottiecb19 said:

Wow, thank you all for your prompt and really helpful replies! The tech community is certainly an awesome one for helping out others!

Could I perhaps add a thrid option here - The Noctua NF-R8 Redux, which is inbetween both the aforementioned fans in terms of price. I've not used the redux line myself, I know they're Noctua fans but i've always been a little concerned that they're not up to the standard of the 'brown' fans. 

NF-A8's are a slight improvement across the board and are about as good as it gets. 

The NF-B9's are good and still have the 6 year warranty if that's what you're after. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.