Do I need to write-check HDDs using tools like h2testw, or is a simple error scan enough?

Keystone Nyan Cat
Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
22 minutes ago, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

--SNIP-- am I better off using an error scan from HDTune? If not; is there anything I should do to ensure the drive is working correctly?

h2testw is good for flash nand testing, but for HDDs bought from legitimate retailers, I just run a full surface error scan to ensure the drive isn't DoA.

I just purchased a brand new external HDD (WD_Black D10) and am in the midst of running H2testw which fills the drive with data and checks whether what was written was correct (traditionally used for checking counterfeit SD cards). However- I bought the drive directly from WD- so doubt the storage is being misreported, but am running it anyways to test whether the drive has any problems holding data (assumption is if there as an issue with the drive- what's written may be messed up). My question is- is this line of thinking incorrect, and am I better off using an error scan from HDTune? If not; is there anything I should do to ensure the drive is working correctly?

PC in Profile

22 minutes ago, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

--SNIP-- am I better off using an error scan from HDTune? If not; is there anything I should do to ensure the drive is working correctly?

h2testw is good for flash nand testing, but for HDDs bought from legitimate retailers, I just run a full surface error scan to ensure the drive isn't DoA.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)