HELP! Can't upgrade laptop SSD to larger one.

James Hatch

HELP!!! Hey y'all. I have an XPS 13 9380 and I bought it configured with the 256GB and I am looking to upgrade it. As a result, I got myself a 1 TB samsung 970 EVO. Using TODO EaseUS backup software and an external HDD to house the cloned drive, I managed to clone my current 256GB drive onto my new 1TB drive. The computer boots as normal using hte 970 EVO, however the challenge comes when I need to expand the main C partition such that I can have more storage. Seeing that the unallocated 600ish GB of storage is not adjacent to the C partition and is seperated by the Dell build in recovery and data partitions, I am not able to merge the partitions or expand the existing C partition. In fact, when the 1TB drive is being booted off of, the option to expand the C partition is completely greyed out. When I boot off of an external HDD and keep the 1TB ssd plugged in, I am able to press the button to expand the C partition, however the paritition on the 1 TB ssd is then changed to N. I assume this is because of the fact that it is an exact clone of the HDD that is being booted off of so there can not be two C partitions. If I attempt to expand the N partition, I get a popup that says there is not enough space to expand the partition. After this failed, I attempted to boot on 1 TB after having it plugged in as the secondary drive and the computer wouldn't boot. Attached is a screenshot of the parition structure of the factory drive. Could anyone help me set things up in a way such that I can clone this factory drive over to the 1 TB one and expand the C main partition such that I can enjoy the extra storage of a larger drive? 

Screenshot (2).png

Use MiniTool Partition Wizard to move last partition and resize system partition. Windows Disk Management has very limited functionality.