When Will Cds Die?

Snickerzz

I couldn't believe it, at least CD's and DVD's are still very useful

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Right now i rely on my cds for games because of my amazing 1mbps connection

Cpu: I5 3570k @ 4.3ghz Gpu: EVGA GTX 780 FTW edition Case: Corsair 300R​ Ram: 8GB Corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Motherboard: ASUS P8-Z77 V-LX Keyboard: Corsair k50 raptor  Mouse: Razer naga 2012 edition OS: Windows 8.1

Unreliable as in they get scratched easily >.< and with low amount of data capacity i was more talking with CDs.

For me Itunes is no hassle, mainly because I only use apple devices and I'm not sure but you can buy/rent movies from itunes and download them to any device (apple or not)

I guess you have never used Blu-Ray? Blu rays are scratch proof.

I really don't think that optical media will ever go away. It's needed.

How else do you make a backup of something? You could use cloud, but that would take forever (and let's assume you have a horrible upload speed like most people). So what's the other option?

Well you could use harddrives.

But they can become outdated and randomly die, plus they can get wiped with a magnet. They are also prone to degradation of the plates/whatever's on them.

Ok, so now your left investing is multi-thousand dollar tape drives or optical.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I guess you have never used Blu-Ray? Blu rays are scratch proof.

I really don't think that optical media will ever go away. It's needed.

How else do you make a backup of something? You could use cloud, but that would take forever (and let's assume you have a horrible upload speed like most people). So what's the other option?

Well you could use harddrives.

But they can become outdated and randomly die, plus they can get wiped with a magnet. They are also prone to degradation of the plates/whatever's on them.

Ok, so now your left investing is multi-thousand dollar tape drives or optical.

wow, I didn't know they were scratch proof xD and theres always flash drives, and if its that important of a file you will have printed it or you would have copies.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

wow, I didn't know they were scratch proof xD and theres always flash drives, and if its that important of a file you will have printed it or you would have copies.

You can't print out photos and be able to re-edit them or make more print :P you also can't print out a system backup.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I doubt they'll die within 20years. Some people just like the box ect. I know I bought Dark Knight blu ray trilogy box set because of the niceness.

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

Obviously, cds are in a decline, which i think is good.

Music for example. In my city, there used to be plenty of music stores, but they slowly faded away because of the digitalization.

Same goes for movies. But a lot of people, enthusiasts, love to have a solid copies for collections and such, and blu-ray is definitely advanced enough.

With that, i believe that discs will be around for a long time still.

Die now plzz i want my front panel to be clean!

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

I still go out and buy an artist's cd if it really peaks my interest. But, since the advent of CD-Quality (I.e. 320kbps or higher) MP3, or FLAC audio files, I can just download them now and save a trip to the store. Still, I like the album cover, artist info, as well as the high-quality CD. My biggest thing is still burning CD's for in my old Pioneer radio, amplified Polk DB6501's, 2 8" subs for some bass, and audio clarity in my Silverado. :)

IMHO, you still can't get any better quality than an album listened to with tubed preamps and an analog signal. Give me some good old Led Zeppelin, Marshall Tucker Band, Gordon Lightfoot, or John Denver on a record, with an adjustable, weighted needle and hi-fi output and I'm in heaven!

You can't print out photos and be able to re-edit them or make more print :P you also can't print out a system backup.

Flashdrive :p

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

That has been proven false by the Mythbusters.

What episode? I wanna watch it xD

I stand to be corrected.

15" MBP TB

I stand to be corrected.

how does grass stand? O:

how does grass stand? O:

Icwutudidtheir

15" MBP TB

Icwutudidtheir

iAmAgEnIuSMwHaHaHaHa

That has been proven false by the Mythbusters.

But proven right by Breaking Bad

CD's are already dead to me. I don't use them.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

And then there's me, with Vinyl. CD won't die for a long time and neither will Vinyl. Magnetic tape, that's really dead.

But that's for music. Data storage with CD is just about dead. I haven't used CD for storage in a while but I still have a drive in my PC for watching movies and burning CDs  I still use DVD for bootable OSes for old PCs. I don't know about you guys, but I really like seeing an old G3 mac or a pentium 3 tower booting into something I can use  :)

I thnk it'll take a little more time before CDs actually die.  Some people may still be using but in my personal experience I haven't been using CDs for quite a really long time already.

And then there's me, with Vinyl. CD won't die for a long time and neither will Vinyl. Magnetic tape, that's really dead.

But that's for music. Data storage with CD is just about dead. I haven't used CD for storage in a while but I still have a drive in my PC for watching movies and burning CDs I still use DVD for bootable OSes for old PCs. I don't know about you guys, but I really like seeing an old G3 mac or a pentium 3 tower booting into something I can use :)

Magnetic tape isn't dead. It's actually the preferred system for backing up servers. It's what every enterprise uses.

15" MBP TB

Magnetic tape isn't dead. It's actually the preferred system for backing up servers. It's what every enterprise uses.

But that's for music. Data storage with CD is just about dead. I haven't used CD for storage in a while but I still have a drive in my PC for watching movies and burning CDs  I still use DVD for bootable OSes for old PCs. I don't know about you guys, but I really like seeing an old G3 mac or a pentium 3 tower booting into something I can use  :)

what the fawk is magnetic tape O.o

Define "dead."  Hell, even vinyl records aren't dead in a sense.  They are still being produced and sold with contemporary music.  Also, optical media is good for long term storage of archival data if it's kept dry.  Nand flash has some issues with long term storage because of its interface requiring exposed copper.

Laws only govern the honest.

Damn right, the company my father works for backs up storage with tapes.

what the fawk is magnetic tape O.o

It's almost looks like a cassette tape, but it fast and more reliable compared to hard drives, but you need a jukebox looking device to able to write and read to the tapes. It's not so practical for everyday use, but if you need to store a lot of critical files, it's quite practical, especially in a corporate sense.