Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomvanWijnen

Random but legitimate looking mail from Netflix

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello!

 

I just saw that I got an email from Netflix, telling me my free 30 days of Netflix is awaiting me. "The message was mailed to [my email address] by Netflix because you created a Netflix account".

 

The problem: I never did. It never once came upon my to create a Netflix account. Why then would I get this email? What should I do?

 

It also doesn't make sense that the mail is in (American) English, considering that I'm Dutch.

 

Perhaps something that could be related is OnePlus's partnership or whatever with Netflix? Seems weird though, and trying to login on netflix.com with my OnePlus password didn't work.

 

The email:

 



K6YnOVE.jpg

 

Thanks in advance!


PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

That is a phishing email, DO NOT enter your stuff on the site it redirects you to or you will end up getting your personal info stolen.

No worries, I wouldn't do that anyways as I have zero interest in actually creating an account, but thanks for the warning nonetheless. :)

 

I just found another mail, from a few days earlier:

 

 

 


Kb8DEg7.jpg
 

 

 

This one already seems a lot more fishy, and is from Brazil, which is not anywhere near here (why isn't it in Portuguese if it's for Brazil??)...

 

EDIT: that number they provided does appear to be the real number, interestingly.


PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Link to post
Share on other sites

You could find the full header and see if it originates from netflix.com

I suspect though, your email address was pwned in a breach or something and a bot or someone made an account using that email, or tried to make an account, and now you're stuck getting the auto generated Netflix emails.


Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TomvanWijnen said:

No worries, I wouldn't do that anyways as I have zero interest in actually creating an account, but thanks for the warning nonetheless. :)

 

I just found another mail, from a few days earlier:

 

This one already seems a lot more fishy, and is from Brazil, which is not anywhere near here (why isn't it in Portuguese if it's for Brazil??)...

Yeah, they don't care who or what language the receiver is. As long as they can get the person's info is enough for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Phones are getting really tall these days 🤔

 

On a more serious note, the email doesn't appear to be phishing - they have their servers correctly configured to prevent phishing emails, so any fraudulent emails that fake the from address will not be delivered. That from address seems to be legit, so the email itself should be legit (unless you're using your own mail server that isn't checking DMARC).

 

Could it be that someone else made a typo and entered your email by mistake or something?


HTTP/2 203

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You could find the full header and see if it originates from netflix.com

I suspect though, your email address was pwned in a breach or something and a bot or someone made an account using that email, or tried to make an account, and now you're stuck getting the auto generated Netflix emails.

Yeah that could be the case too. I also remember that Outlook disables email accounts that haven't been used within several years after being created, so if someone made an account with that email way before op creates an email with that same name, Netflix would still be linked to that email account.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You could find the full header and see if it originates from netflix.com

I suspect though, your email address was pwned in a breach or something and a bot or someone made an account using that email, or tried to make an account, and now you're stuck getting the auto generated Netflix emails.

How would I do that? It does say that it's "sent by mailer.netflix.com, signed by netflix.com, and secured by standardencryption (TLS).

That could be possible. I do have to admit that I've used my email for more websites than I should have - but I don't see why anyone would be interested in creating a netflix account with specifically my email... :P

 

8 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

Yeah, they don't care who or what language the receiver is. As long as they can get the person's info is enough for them.

Hog all the data, any possible customer is possible money... :P

 

8 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Phones are getting really tall these days 🤔

 

On a more serious note, the email doesn't appear to be phishing - they have their servers correctly configured to prevent phishing emails, so any fraudulent emails that fake the from address will not be delivered. That from address seems to be legit, so the email itself should be legit (unless you're using your own mail server that isn't checking DMARC).

 

Could it be that someone else made a typo and entered your email by mistake or something?

Hahahaha, sometimes it's inconvenient, but I do like the capability of 5-way multitasking. ;)

 

I'm using plain old gmail, with, as far as I know, no weird settings.

 

That is possible. I do know that there's someone with an email address with one letter different, but they are also from the Netherlands (or Belgium) so I would assume that possible mails that they would get would be in Dutch.

 

4 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

Yeah that could be the case too. I also remember that Outlook disables email accounts that haven't been used within several years after being created, so if someone made an account with that email way before op creates an email with that account, Netflix would still be linked to that email account.

My email account is older than Netflix in Europe, so I don't think that that would be the case. :P


PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×