Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
balexandre

is Nanoleaf Canvas worth the money?

Does it just light up? 

Seems like a pretty niche product. As far as worth, that's entirely up to you. Do you find 9 lit squares of color worth $200? 

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I've got the triangular Nanoleaf panels. It's expensive, but in my case I am happy with my purchase. The lighting quality is fantastic and the colors are very vibrant and highly customizable. It's a nice decoration for the living room, and on the brighter settings may even be used as main light source for a medium sized room. I totally understand if people think it's too expensive, but then again a guy at my work just bought a friggin pullover for 400 euros, so expensive is relative I guess.

Intel i7-5820K, Asus X99 Sabertooth, EVGA 980Ti Classified, 16 GB Trident Z, EVGA GS 650,  NZXT x62 Kraken, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe TG and too many fans

Similar to RGB Philips Hue, if you have money to throw away on something that'll be cool for 20 minutes, sure!

Or save $200.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and two Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Northgate Omnikey Ultra Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL with stitched edge Headset:  Sennheiser HD598SE

I like old-ass keyboards, Volvos, Thinkpads, and fountain pens.

6 hours ago, Murasaki said:

Damn that looks neat but only if i feel like i shouldnt save money anymore.

1 old 12V 500mA+ router PSU

1 white (4000-5000K) LED strip arranged in a square with an X in the middle

Thin wood and glue, create a flat 18x18x7 cm wooden box where the LEDs will go, wire everything, make a hole for hanging

Cover with an A4 sheet (for the diffuse effect) and then card stock or another A4 sheet on top if the light is too dim, at least 3cm between both

(optional) paint the wood so it looks better

Total: less than $200 for sure and like 5 minutes if you're fast enough to put everything together. It sure needs more details but that should be the basics, there's also a way to connect your "boxes" together, I'm thinking of something simple as two sets of male and female connector per side, the box with the PSU acts as master and the rest are daisy chained as slaves but it might need a bigger power supply, 2 or 3A depending on the LEDs and amount of boxes.

same working principle

anything is possible given enough time and not enough money

2yg270.png

I tend to reply with memes because I lack social skills and don't know how to express myself correctly.

Posted · Original PosterOP
On 10/19/2019 at 2:32 AM, Caroline said:

1 white (4000-5000K) LED strip arranged in a square with an X in the middle

You do understand that this is more like Lifx/Philips Hue than a simple strip right?

I mean, you have tactic panels for start, and programmable, so you can say when you touch one, or slide over some do this or that ...