Is a core i5 3330 still relevant?

My core i5 3330 is getting a little long in the tooth right about now, and I'm starting to wonder if I should upgrade and hand my cpu, mobo and ram over to my dad who's still got a Haswell Pentium and struggling to get front USB3.0 from a h81 chipset (quite literally looked everywhere for an affordable h87, without having it imported from China)

Reason why I think that my cpu is faltering for me is that even Windows services make it hit 30 to 60 percent idle, plus it won't hit 3.2 single core boost anymore, even with a beefy air cooler on top of it, I even checked my bios, but alas an h77 motherboard doesn't really include anything for adjusting clock speeds apart from enabling and disabling turbo boost which I know for sure is enabled.

I've totally lost all hope for AMD and Ryzen, so I'm sticking with an Intel. I was considering buying a 9600k with a good Z390 motherboard, since I can afford it after a few good months of saving up. But now I'm also wondering if I should wait more and get a tenth generation core i5 10600k, which is rumored to have hyper threading.

Typical use case is not just heavy gaming at 1080p, but also some content editing and music conversion (cbr to vbr). The video editor I use is gpu accelerated, but still uses a mighty chunk of cpu and the music editor is strictly cpu bound, plus I play heavily modded minecraft, which I get about 40 fps, if I'm lucky. I tinker with mods rather than survive in MC, so I tend to make complex machines which grind my cpu to a halt.

What do you guys think? Should I stick with what I got or should I get an upgrade. My preference is nothing less than a core i5, maybe max a core i7 and, no AMD, they still got a lot of bugs to fix before I trust them again. I was considering a core i9 9900k, but when I looked at the price, I laughed a good 5 minutes. The place that sells the computer components that I'm used to and have a good reputation there only sells the latest intel cpu's and motherboards so definitely 9th Gen, maybe 8th Gen, haven't checked recently.

I'm experienced with cpu overclocking, nothing too extreme however, so I'm definitely considering an unlocked Intel cpu. Just need to make an informed decision as a double sure measure.

I'd appreciate any tips and recommendations you got… any help will be a godsend.

PS: I didn't buy my core i5 3330, I inherited it, so I don't really know what to look for when purchasing a cpu, mobo combo.

I really don't think your preference to Intel is going to help you. You want to edit? Ryzen is better for the price, it'll help a lot since you say it still uses a lot of the CPU. You're at least right to laugh at what a fucking joke the 9900k is. 

I'm not trying to be rude but when were the "bugs" that you had from AMD? Have you even ever owned the Ryzen products? It's worthless to wait for something that is only rumors when AMD is offering hyperthreaded/SMT "bang for your buck" CPUs that are killing Intel in the market right now and forcing competition.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Intel has far more "bugs", like Meltdown and Spectre, than AMD.

If you don't want to spend a ton. Get a Ryzen 5 2600 and MSI B450 Tomahawk mobo.

Fair point.

I've never owned a Ryzen, only a Athlon II x2, which burnt out from wear and tear.

It's not like I hold a grudge against AMD or Ryzen, I just feel comfortable with intel, I always have, regardless of the security flaws and Meltdown, Spectre.

Im only planning on upgrading in 6 months time, so who knows, maybe I might just choose Ryzen.

I cannot help but feel a biased response however, I know that I was incorrect on calling AMD buggy, that I can pretty much feel stupid for, but Intel's still good for gaming.

I think what I was thinking of buggy is AMD's decision on reduced memory bandwidth for zen 2, I don't like that at all, but I guess I can still live with it.

I've just been a fan of team blue and team green for so long that I haven't really considered anything else.

Just realized that my description has nothing to do with the title... Is a intel core i5 3330 still relevant for gaming?

Bah, I'm closing this thread and not coming back.

31 minutes ago, SlicerZrT said:

Fair point.

I've never owned a Ryzen, only a Athlon II x2, which burnt out from wear and tear.

It's not like I hold a grudge against AMD or Ryzen, I just feel comfortable with intel, I always have, regardless of the security flaws and Meltdown, Spectre.

Im only planning on upgrading in 6 months time, so who knows, maybe I might just choose Ryzen.

I cannot help but feel a biased response however, I know that I was incorrect on calling AMD buggy, that I can pretty much feel stupid for, but Intel's still good for gaming.

I think what I was thinking of buggy is AMD's decision on reduced memory bandwidth for zen 2, I don't like that at all, but I guess I can still live with it.

I've just been a fan of team blue and team green for so long that I haven't really considered anything else.

Broaden your horizons. An R5 2600/B450 is calling your name right now. Blind loyalty to one brand or the other isn't a thing in 2019. This isn't Bulldozer vs. Haswell.

14 minutes ago, SlicerZrT said:

Just realized that my description has nothing to do with the title... Is a intel core i5 3330 still relevant for gaming?

Depends on the game. I still like the Sandy and Ivy i5s at the right price and with the right GPU as lightweight and e-sports platforms. For AAA, no. Not sure why you feel the need to leave, but, um, bye?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I too will chime in and say going AMD is a great choice, the Zen platform has been grand IMHO and while yes its not perfect its very competitive to intels current offerings.

8 hours ago, SlicerZrT said:

I said that partly to being tired and grumpy, but also because I realized that I shot myself in the foot. I did once want to buy a Ryzen 5 3600 on a b450 motherboard, however, every time I look, it's always sold out, probably because it's the most popular AMD.

Isn't the intel bug only because of hyper threading? I did read something similar.

Intel in my experience just have better products. People can disagree all they want, don't really care. I've been down the AMD road for a while, and as far as I can tell, AMD has no longevity with their products. Look at their GPU and community forums, bunch of complaints on failing GPU's, and driver issues. Lets compare, we can liken AMD to American cars, and Nvidia to Japanese cars. And everyone who owns a Toyota knows how long those cars can last you even with high mileage. American cars? Not so much.

That being said, Intel does work better with most programs, apps, etc... Since they been in the game longer, but their product is just overpriced. If you're looking for a more affordable lineup, then AMD is that route. But with affordable, you have to consider it might not be long lasting. I've owned an intel for well over 10+ years now it's still running. Can't say that about AMD. Last AMD product I owned, last roughly... 2 years and some months before I need to replace it.

lol @ AMD and "bugs". The only bug (if you could call it that) is being picky with RAM and this was mostly a first gen Ryzen issue. As someone who was exclusively Intel before making a R5 1600 build, i5s are a total waste of time with poor value. Last i5 worth being excited over was the 2500k from 2011.

Going to wait till Black Friday / Cyber Monday to drop in a 3700X. All it took was a BIOS update, Intel would have had a new motherboard replacement 3 gens into a product line for such a small gain from the chipset.

1 hour ago, c00face said:

Intel in my experience just have better products. People can disagree all they want, don't really care. I've been down the AMD road for a while, and as far as I can tell, AMD has no longevity with their products. Look at their GPU and community forums, bunch of complaints on failing GPU's, and driver issues. 

....?

You compared AMD's (formerly ATI) graphics cards to Intel's CPUs for longevity.  Dude what? If we dropping graphics into this, Intel's potato graphics aren't that fantastic.

30 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

lol @ AMD and "bugs". The only bug (if you could call it that) is being picky with RAM and this was mostly a first gen Ryzen issue.

Well, every day on here you come across a couple of "strange behaviors" and "teething issues" with some Ryzen CPU/mobo/ram combinations, that should be working but there's something strange, that will probably solved by a BIOS update...

If you just want something that works and can't be bothered with troubleshooting you're still better off going Intel.

Certainly AMD will get to the same point but the platform probably needs to mature a bit more, give it a year or 2...

It's often the same, there's an option that can get you more bang for the buck but is a bit more fiddly, or one that costs a bit more but just works. Not everyone is looking for the former.

I wanted to try AMD for the build that I just did but unfortunately they got disqualified straight becasue of no integrated GPU in the high end parts.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Might not be the most current chip, but you can certainly play some games on it.  4 core is not too bad.  It isnt going to get you the most performance, but you can still game on it.  I was gaming on an i5 3350 until not too long ago.  I was doing a whole system upgrade build so it got updated, but I didnt have specific issues with the CPU preventing me from gaming, and had playable framerates (paired with GTX 970 at the time) at 1080p.  

If you feel the need to upgrade, give ryzen another thought, it's a great value deal.  Most of the launch bugs are getting worked out now.  A 2600 would be good.  Current gen i5's are a pretty bad deal IMO.  8700k, 9700k, 9900k are all I would look at for intel personally.  

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

7 hours ago, Mooshi said:

....?

You compared AMD's (formerly ATI) graphics cards to Intel's CPUs for longevity.  Dude what? If we dropping graphics into this, Intel's potato graphics aren't that fantastic.

??

You want to compare intel mobo with amd mobo? I can tell you amd mobo doesn't last more than 3 years before you have to replace it. can you say that about intel? you can talk about price to performance all you want, but if the damn thing doesn't even have any longevity to it, what's the point. again, go on every forums and you'll see nothing, but complaints on failing hardware on amd side, yet, the euphoria for amd is too strong so most of these reviews get thrown out of the water due to "cheap! affordable!" and dude please, i didnt just own an ati card from amd.

To be fair, if you want to save up you could just buy an i7-3930k on AliExpress for around $100, or a i7-3770 for $70.
If you have the budget for a full upgrade I would recommend going Ryzen!

1 hour ago, Ksandur said:

you could just buy an i7-3930k on AliExpress for around $100

wouldn't be able to use the same motherboard tho, which would sort of defeat the purpose

but as for any of the older CPUs, yeah the cheapest i7 possible will do, even the 2600.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad