DIY monitor for under $100!

James

Buy monitors on Amazon: https://geni.us/8ilNf

https://youtu.be/8mFUTpvetjM

Here's how you can build your own monitor using some parts from eBay, 3D printing and a little creativity! Follow along on youtube for the build guide once you have all of the parts listed below ready to go.

You'll need to print and prepare all the parts from our Thingiverse Remix: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3880504

Additionally, you'll need these fasteners:

4x 1/2" long - #2-56 flat head screws
7x 3/8" long - #4-40 flat head screws
4x #4-40 Nuts and washers

Lastly, you'll need to find yourself a 15.6" Panel, matching EDP adapter, power supply and some basic hand tools for the fasteners.

Panel
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/CMO-N156HGE-EB1-Screen-Replacement-for-Laptop-New-LED-FullHD-Glossy-LCD/271943582309?hash=item3f5119c265:g:NOgAAOSwNSxVXQOQ

EDP Adapter
https://www.ebay.com/itm/eDP-HDMI-LCD-Controller-Board-for-N173HCE-E31-N173HGE-E11-1920x1080-LED-Screen/273777344144?hash=item3fbe66be90:g:GuQAAOSwL79clenu

2 minutes ago, James said:

You plebs and your 200mm 3d printers

Please review a CR10 S5, just slap a bigger 0.8-1mm nozzle on it mostly assuming it can drive the filament through it, haven't tried it myself . Also maybe upgrade the heating pad under the bed, people sell bigger ones so it  doesn't take 30 minutes to heat up.
1452708220_CR10S5.jpg.47574a953c4eaf6a3f7b6f1835d62aa8.jpg

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Hah that was great. I've always wanted to "make" a monitor but what really stops it is the big error rate ill probably encounter on figuring out if the parts will interface eachother.

Oh yeah and 3D printing is not something i'm aware of being in existance here....

@James

think the embed broke

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Would this work with LG monitor panel that have broken electronics?

I would just need new buttons and display adapter and could recycle other parts like stand etc.

ty

Is there any way this might work with an old analogue monitor that only uses VGA for input? Thanks

This is a really great video.  How many of us have a laptop that is broken in every way but the screen and could use another high quality monitor. 

so what if i have a touch screen laptop laying around? can i get the touch screen to work well with windows?

i have a 3k lenovo display, can i just find whatever 40pin edp adaptor or do it have to be monitor specific? 

can the controller only do a certain amount of hz?

Edited by lil_Sponge

Base on my experience, not all display controllers are able to drive any random display panel. I strongly suggest that buy the controller first and then choose the panel, or just buy two things in one shop.

Why you ask, the pin definations for each panel and the controller is not necessary to be the same, even the cabel can play a role here. The first time I got a panel and a display controller and a random cable, after I connected to the power, I had my cable on fire. I found the datasheet for the panel and the controller, and after doing the continuity test with the cable, the ground and Vcc was directly connected. 

I am from Argentina and like this project and I will try to replicate here. 

Could you use a screen from a old camera or does it have to be laptop?

Question, I have a asus zephyrus m that died on me, and have been saving for a desktop build, the laptop has a 1080p 144hz G-Sync (display port frame sync) that I would like to salvage the panel to use as my monitor, but want to retain the G-Sync, does someone know of a EDP adapter with DisplayPort that also supports the frame syncing?

LTT Should do it to the 300Hz ASUS laptop display they got, making the first 300Hz desktop display.

57 minutes ago, KnowledgeByTech said:

LTT Should do it to the 300Hz ASUS laptop display they got, making the first 300Hz desktop display.

My problem is I can’t find an EDP controller with DisplayPort let alone frame sync capabilities...

Also this is the closest I’ve come to finding something but I’m not sure it’s even compatible, and would definitely need an adapter of some kind still

https://www.amazon.com/Eztronics-Corp-DisplayPort-Convertor-Controller/dp/B07FT6S22H/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?keywords=40pin+EDP+controller+with+DisplayPort&qid=1571037178&sr=8-1-fkmr2

I have a old Dell XPS 15 that i would like to reuse the screen on. would i need to do what Linus did here ? How can i check what my screen is compatible with ?

14 minutes ago, Molesy said:

Dell XPS 15

What exact model number? Also if you want to be sure and if the system is dead anyway, you can just open up the system, most will require the main system to be dismantled to the point you can get to the panel hinge mounting, then usually the front bezel can be popped off to reveal the display panel then count the pins on preferably the connection on the actual panel, if there are 30 or 40 pins it should be EDP, counting the pins on the connection to the MB can be problematic as a lot of the time the webcam, microphone, touch interface, and other such things will be run though an extended connection through the same cable

4 minutes ago, ETHREAL1 said:

What exact model number? Also if you want to be sure and if the system is dead anyway, you can just open up the system, most will require the main system to be dismantled to the point you can get to the panel hinge mounting, then usually the front bezel can be popped off to reveal the display panel

XPS 15 L521X. would like to keep the screen with the original frame as it a nice build in the machined aluminium.

Just seen the video and this has given me an nice little project to do in my free time :) 

I have a monitor from a ASUS ROG G571J and it's all still has the casing around it. Plus its 17 inch screen so it be perfect. But I do not have an 3d printer and or maybe not need to make an case for it but keep what I have.  Any ideas? 

Hi,

I just registered to ask this question. This video inspired my to use the old FHD panel of my Dell Studio 15" and build a Raspberry Pi gaming station into a suitcase.

However, I noticed that all these EDP adapters seem to require a 12V 3A power input. Therefore I am wondering how much power such a board actually draws in normal operation. If it was the full 3A I'd go through a 36Wh power bank within an hour, making the entire project much less attractive. Can anyone provide some real-world numbers on the power draw? (I understand that it will depend on the panel and the brightness).

I actually did this DIY monitor about a month or so ago. The problem I'm having is that the screen flickers, but only sometimes. it will flicker for 10 seconds to 1 minute, sometimes after 10 minutes of using the monitor, and then go away for about 1 minute, only for flickering to come back. The flickering seems random, but it does come in wave. Anybody have any clue what the problem could be?